Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robbing Toyota !

Viper_7

Engine Management came on a few months back..so reset ECU to make it go away..to see if it comes back (genuine fault) Well it's come back, so quick call to Toyota to see if I they could get the diagnostic code to determine what's required....get this....

"Thankyou for your email - It will be possible for you to pop in with your vehicle to establish the reason for the engine management warning light showing. We would need you to be with us by 4.45pm as we close at 5.30pm

The charge to establish the reason will be £40.10inc VAT"

£40 !!!!! just to tell me what the ECU is saying...taking the absolute ubik !!!!

Mark

i dont know about that

my parents yaris has had that check 3 times at £40 a go to find faults, still the correct fault has not been found, £120 so far to toyota for ONLY finding the fault

Jay

my light is on. but i dont give a hoot :P

hmm, i would start to care, thats how my parents have paid £500 so far to repair the car

with MR2s there is a list of codes that will tell you what is up with Engine Management...

is there something similar witht he Yaris?

The MR2 one is based on number of time EM light flashes or sommat *shrugs

I'm sure there is a list of codes...but I need to get the code first....light doesn't flash or anything..need a gadget I belive to plug into the ECU?? if it's something simple can do it myself. ( which is probyably for Toytota charge so much..in cae you don't go back to them to fix it..however they said it's the same price even if I get em to fix it!)

Well went to my old garage (NON toyota) he said he can get the code ok...and that won't cost me...and he's sooo much cheaper and trustworthy anyway..he's got my business back..warranty has gone now anyway.

Thing is...it could simply just be a fautly temp sensor/air sensor or something like that.. as she's driving fine so £40 to tell me that..then £10 billion quid to replace the sensor.

I replied to them saying that it was a bit steep just to determine the error code which takes minutes ..they said:

"The diagnosis charge is £40.10inc VAT

Regards "

Talk about customer service!

Vipes

Bloomin heck! Thats a bit pricey! They charged darren and his mum £25 each for the diagnosis! his mums is a nissan aswell at that! 40squid is a lot of money!

I'm sure there is a list of codes...but I need to get the code first....light doesn't flash or anything..need a gadget I belive to plug into the ECU?? if it's something simple can do it myself. ( which is probyably for Toytota charge so much..in cae you don't go back to them to fix it..however they said it's the same price even if I get em to fix it!)

Vipes

You can use a wire to short pins 4 and 13 on the OBD-connector (under your dash), then turn the key to the "ON" position, without starting the engine, after which the light will give you a series of flashes telling you the fault code.

There's a list of codes on the Yaris subforum here somewhere.

connector:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

\ - - - - - - - /

\ - - - - - - - /

\________/

10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Yves.

EDIT: sorry about the crap ASCI art.

Edited by yvvan

cheers guys, popped down to my local friendly garage NON toyota!! and they plugged in their gizmo and it came back with P1139 - UNKNOWN error!

Stuck the code into his database and it came back with VVTI Solenoid Valve - none responsive.

Now as with all things...damn light went out on the way to the garage..but it recalls the last error.

they suspect the solenoid was sticking or just a mis-read if it occurs again will have to look at replacing.

He wouldn't charge me for it, but slipped em a fiver.

Now I wonder what would have happened at toyota.......!!

vipes

so let me know something...if a sensor in a yaris will be defective or damaged you would know from a light blinking in the dash? is it? just wanted to know so if someday will happen something like this I will know what is...are those codes available from somewhere pls?

thanks

Vipes,

You can probably get a gadget from the states that will read the erroro codes for you. Ask the guys over at Echofans as their Echos have the same engines as the TS.

Hope that helps,

Alan

just find any 'backstreet' garage with one of them snap-on gubbins, bloke i know will hook it into ya car and tell ya the problem for a drink :yes:

toyota can go make love to their hand when it comes to this kind of thing

• 3 weeks later...
Engine Management came on a few months back..so reset ECU to make it go away..to see if it comes back (genuine fault)  Well it's come back, so quick call to Toyota to see if I they could get the diagnostic code to determine what's required....get this....

"Thankyou for your email - It will be possible for you to pop in with your vehicle to establish the reason for the engine management warning light showing. We would need you to be with us by 4.45pm as we close at 5.30pm

The charge to establish the reason will be £40.10inc VAT"

£40 !!!!! just to tell me what the ECU is saying...taking the absolute ubik !!!!

Mark

Thats cheap, I was charged 59 quid(1 hour labour) to look are the air bag circuit. They called me to say that the was going to charge me 2 hours labour to solder one wire plus another 1 hour labour to put the carback together.

I was in for my MOT & Service yesterday at my local Mr T, a guy came in and said that his fault light was on, spoke to the guy on the desk and I'm sure he was offered a free check! :wacko:

I was in for my MOT & Service yesterday at my local Mr T, a guy came in and said that his fault light was on, spoke to the guy on the desk and I'm sure he was offered a free check!  :wacko:

Grrrrrr! doesn't surprise me... bet he bought his car at that dealer though...I didn't, and I know they hate dealing with me becasue of it..especially the warranty work. ..but I've had it serviced their each time..so they've had enough money out of me to warrant a quick read of the diagnositic code.

Problem has not re-occured though which is good although it wasn't anything serious anyway.

vipes