Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vvti Kickin

admanirv

Any ideas when the vvti kicks in on a t sport?, i think its 6000revs which seems a bit ****, but ill prob be wrong!

cheers adam

didn't think it had anything to do with revs at all.... VVTI is active all the time..drive hard in any gear and the timing is advanced..not just at a particular rev range..but throughout.

Just at a certain rev range you get the most power and torque..making it feel like something has kicked in.

vipes

Hmmmmm .. .I wouldnt say VVTi "KICKS IN" at all in a 1.3 or 1.5L vvti .... its not like VTEC or LIFT ..... go drive a VVTi-L powered beast and you'll get what i mean.

This info might help ....

----------------

Toyota’s intelligent continuously variable valve timing system is more advanced than the basic systems in some German luxury vehicles and Japanese small cars.

VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) is the next generation technology in Toyota engines.

Echo has the latest-generation TMC-developed vane-type VVT-i control, which debuted on Prius and Lexus IS200.

Intelligent variable valve timing can provide high levels of fuel economy, low emissions and strong torque as well as high performance.

VVT-i provides continual variations of the intake valve timing, to match the engine’s operating conditions.

This improves performance and fuel efficiency, and reduces vibration on engine start-up and shut-down.

Echo’s inlet timing can be varied over a range of 60 degrees relative to crankshaft angle, to provide optimum valve timing for the full range of driving conditions.

Inlet camshaft timing is varied according to engine revolutions, throttle position, engine coolant temperature and intake air volume.

The maximum !Removed! setting provides zero valve overlap. (There is a five degree period between the exhaust valve closing and inlet opening.)

Inlet cam timing is set to the maximum !Removed! position for engine start-up, operation at low engine temperature, idle and engine shut-down.

The maximum advance setting provides 55 degrees of valve overlap.

VVT-i Activation:

Toyota Echo’s VVT-i is a computer controlled and oil-pressure activated push- push type system.

The engine ECU can command the system to advance or !Removed! the inlet camshaft timing, thereby providing for faster response.

The hardware is a camshaft timing oil control valve mounted adjacent to the inlet camshaft gear wheel and a VVT-i controller mechanism built onto the inlet camshaft timing gear.

The camshaft timing oil control valve is a spool valve, controlled via a coil and plunger by the engine ECU.

It can signal "advance", "hold" or "!Removed!". The VVT-i controller consists of a housing on the front of the timing wheel, driven from the timing chain, and a four-bladed vane coupled with the intake camshaft.

When the engine ECU requires a change in inlet timing, it signals the oil control valve to provide oil pressure to either the advance or !Removed! side of the four vane chambers.

A locking pin in the controller locks the camshaft timing in the maximum !Removed! position for engine start-up and immediately after start-up (until oil pressure is established) to prevent any knocking noise.

You mean unlike the D-4D?

I know the turbo on that kicks in at something-revs - you really feel it kicking in too - its amazing to feel! :D :D

Erm.. Miss "TOC EDITOR" Angel ... I got no idea what D-4D is :P .... a turbo cant be compared to variable valve technology in any way :P

As suggested above by Viper_7 (at least theres another smart person on here who actually understands Toyota Technology) ... Read my previous post! "VVT-i provides continual variations of the intake valve timing, to match the engine’s operating conditions." ..... it doesnt KICK IN at any RPM, its constant technology.

VVTi-L .... Variable Valve Timing Intelligent + LIFT is when you will feel

'vvti LIFT' kicking in ... its much like VTEC in that as soon as it hits 5000rpm, it revs its !Removed! off to redline at around 9000rpm.

Erm.. Miss "TOC EDITOR" Angel ... I got no idea what D-4D is :P .... a turbo cant be compared to variable valve technology in any way :P

As suggested above by Viper_7 (at least theres another smart person on here who actually understands Toyota Technology) ... Read my previous post! "VVT-i provides continual variations of the intake valve timing, to match the engine’s operating conditions."  ..... it doesnt KICK IN at any RPM, its constant technology.

VVTi-L  .... Variable Valve Timing Intelligent + LIFT is when you will feel

'vvti LIFT' kicking in ... its much like VTEC in that as soon as it hits 5000rpm, it revs its tits off to redline at around 9000rpm.

Thats why I said unlike the D-4D which is a turbo diesel engine..... I was asking a question, not stating a fact! No need to be rude about it! :o

(at least theres another smart person on here who actually understands Toyota Technology)

You're a nice chap :thumbsup::eek:

Thats why I said unlike the D-4D which is a turbo diesel engine..... I was asking a question, not stating a fact!  No need to be rude about it!  :o

Note the :P ...... wasnt attacking u ;)

Thats why I said unlike the D-4D which is a turbo diesel engine..... I was asking a question, not stating a fact!  No need to be rude about it!  :o

Note the :P ...... wasnt attacking u ;)

:thumbsup: Fair dos!

I always thought it was 3.5K and worked like a vtec opening the valves more :D

i think we are refering to when the engine seems to starting "working", we are not on about lift, its just that its INCREDIBLY LAZY in the first 3k revs then the torque seems to peak

What u are thinking starts at 3500 isnt the VVTI .... its the engine working as it should ... torque / power range ....... everycar has one :P

What u are thinking starts at 3500 isnt the VVTI .... its the engine working as it should ... torque / power range ....... everycar has one :P

The VVti is working all the time!!

We are dicussion when the torque seems to rise quickly

no the vvti works from a cirtain point, hence you can drop it in 200 rpm increments down to 2000rpm using a camcon :thumbsup:

hmmmmmmmmmmm

i hate the fact money exists :(

get it chris get it :D

i think we are refering to when the engine seems to starting "working", we are not on about lift, its just that its INCREDIBLY LAZY in the first 3k revs then the torque seems to peak

Ah well when it gets to 3500 RPM in the Blue it seems to get a good "kick" of power no matter if it's the VVT'i or not :lol: Will prolly get told different by Yves lol