Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3sgte Limits

Leeky

Hi peeps

Whats the horsepower limit of the rev2 3sgte.

I've seen one from an st185 and am thinking of getting it, but i want to get 500bhp out of it.

I heard the Rev2 eats headgaskets? is this true?

Was aiming for a Rev3/4 but cannot justify it unless there is a good reason to not go Rev2 - because they are loads cheaper to buy.

Im going to put forged pistons in, tte crank, forged rods, big hybrid etc

Is the rev2 going to be able to cope? :unsure:

I don't think the 3s-gte ever got to revision 4? (minor point).

The rev2 doesn't have a steel head gasket as standard, but the rev 3 did. I'm not sure if the bottom end is any different. Looking at what you are going to do with it, the only components that you will be keeping are the block and c/head castings, which are pretty much identical AFAIK. However, some of the early rev 3 blocks are reputed to have thin cylinder walls, making potentially weaker.

For what you are doing a rev2 should be good enough. Budget for new cams though, as I think the rev3 had different profiles (but still not good for 500hp).

What are you going to put this in, now you are selling the white supe? :unsure:

Give Fennies a bell. I`m pretty sure they got 6-700 out of a Rev 2. Obviously a steel headgasket & uprated oil pump will be needed as well as the internal changes. Oh and a pretty mahoosive turbine thingy. :lol::thumbsup:

rev 2 head is VERY different to rev 3, rev 3 head will fit on rev 2 block with some small mods and is the key to getting good power from the 3S. however you WILL need manifolds, loom and stand alone EMS to get it to work.

rev2 head will struggle to 500bhp

as above basically

the rev 3 didn't come with thinner side walls, just the later ones came with even thicker side walls so they say the early ones are 'thinner'

I don't think the 3s-gte ever got to revision 4? (minor point).

3sgte in the Caldina is apparently a Rev4. Different intercooler and more torque than the rev 3 :wacko:

rev2  head will struggle to 500bhp

So at the very least i should put a rev3 head onto the rev2 block :wacko:

Blimey this is going to be a lot of work :lol: Thanks for the info guys :thumbsup:

bear in mind that a rev three head complete with manifolds, throttle body, cam cover etc will possible set you back about a grand. they aint cheap.

might be better of looking round for a rev 3 lump that needs new pistons (broken ringlands etc) and rebuilding that as you can find them cheaper

bear in mind that a rev three head complete with manifolds, throttle body, cam cover etc will possible set you back about a grand. they aint cheap.

might be better of looking round for  a rev 3 lump that needs new pistons (broken ringlands etc) and rebuilding that as you can find them cheaper

Are the rev 3 ports that much different to the rev2`s. Anybody know what the main differences are? I`m thinking along the lines of more aggressive cam profiles and larger valves. Could the rev2 head not be modified to similar specs? Maybe it won`t support quite as much power as the rev3 but with cams, larger valves and a professional gas flow and porting job it wouldn`t be too far off. Mind you, the expense wouldn`t be that far off either. :wacko:

yep the rev 3 did away with the TVIS setup and the ports are a lot lot different. the head and manifolds are what make the extra power on rev3 engines

not to mention that they did away with the AFM too and put a MAP sensor in it's place.

the Rev 3 head also has a larger set of injectors, instead of the 430's they have 540's, for some reason people call them 440's and 550's tho.

there is now 2 ST185's that are knocking on the doors of 600 bhp that i know off, both of them have rev 3 heads and MoTeC EMS's too name a few off the goodies

• 3 weeks later...
3sgte in the Caldina is apparently a Rev4. Different intercooler and more torque than the rev 3

And a high compression setup that doesn't like much boost :(

Cheers

KiwiMR2