Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shaking When Braking

b1nda

Hi,

I have a 1997 Carina E, but i have a problem with it......

when braking hard or from high speeds(above 50mph) the steering wheel and the car start to shake/wobble...the steering more than the car....does anybody know what may cause this?...the only way to describe the shake is when you travel at high speeds and the steering starts to shake if the wheels are not balanced...but my problem is the other way round...it shakes when braking.

... :help:

Hi,

I have a 1997 Carina E, but i have a problem with it......

when braking hard or from high speeds(above 50mph) the steering wheel and the car start to shake/wobble...the steering more than the car....does anybody know what may cause this?...the only way to describe the shake is when you travel at high speeds and the steering starts to shake if the wheels are not balanced...but my problem is the other way round...it shakes when braking.

... :help:

Thanks  :thumbsup:

You have warped front brake rotors. Change them and the pads ............ problem solved, all the best, Andy.

Hi

My Carina does this as well. Are the pads & discs expensive? Is it a simple job to replace them yourself?

i had a look at the front discs on my carina e, and they dont seem to be warped.....mind u i did not tkae the discs off just had a look at them with the wheels off....

When the discsare warped can you see them wared or is the warpness so small that you cant see it with the eye?

Thanks

i had a look at the front discs on my carina e, and they dont seem to be warped.....mind u i did not tkae the discs off just had a look at them with the wheels off....

When the discsare warped can you see them wared or is the warpness so small that you cant see it with the eye?

Thanks

The rotor is the shinny ring like thing the brake pads press on to stop the car. In most cases you can't see it. But from what you describe, it sounds the the rotor is wraped. My 97 Camery did that and when braking down hills it almost seemed like it wanted to jump over into the next lane.

Don't wait to long to fix it, as the shaking is not good for front end linkage stearing parts.

The problem you describe can also be caused by a build-up of corrision on the face of the brake disc (more likely on the inboard side)

Either way, the best solution is to replace the worn discs on both sides. Replace both sets of pads at the same time.

Copy brake discs (and Pads) are widely available and are just as good as genuine Toyota spares.

There are four bolts (each side) to be removed to gain access to and remove the brake discs and pads. It is a relatively simple operation.

The only tools required are a set of metric sockets - 14mm and 19mm.

You may need to bleed the brake system slightly to push the brake pistons back into the calipers to allow for the wider pads/disc. (a 10mm deep socket is needed for this.

Total cost should be around £40 - £45 for the discs and £15- £20 for the pads

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links