Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001/2 D4d Avensis Advice Needed

XkillerX

hello people

with the petrol prices rocketing sky-high i'm thinking about diesel as the source of power for my next car... never though i'd say this a few years ago!!! a D4D avensis wagon sounds nice, and the prices are high, but i think they are worth it. the main problem is the horrible quality of eurodiesel fuel here (too much sulphur). any of you have experience with these engines? what should i watch out for when i'm buying one? what kind of mpg are you achieving? any known faults, errors, weaknesses???

thank you :help:

come on, you lazy :censor: people!

are you trying to tell me there isnt a SINGLE avensis owner here who won't give me a piece of advice??? wow, what a change compared to the corolla and celica owners!!! :ffs:

Hi, I have an old shape 2003/52 Avensis D4D. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Love the engine, a tiny bit noisy at start up, but one of the quietest cars I have owned over 20mph, it is very torquey and responsive, I have driven the new diesel and there is no difference at all in power, in fact I would suggest the older car is livelier.

I regularly get 53 mpg combined, and thats driving it hard. It will cruise all day long at 100mph if you like breaking the law. It doesnt and hasnt used any oil at all, I change the oil myself every 6000miles because I like to.

Everything works and I cant recommend it enough. My only shock was the cost of the twin pollen filter, about £60....Holy Cow!

Having driven the VW diesels I much prefer the D4D, because it is more revvable, the VW engines have one short burst of torque then nothing, so in my opinion the D4D is a far better more reliable and refined engine.

So get one :D

On thing you forgot to point out with your VW comparison, is that volkswagens break down. Toyotas don't!! :D

Well, normally anyway... :wacko:

Also, it helps to actually sit down and do a calculation to see if it will benefit you. Based on how far you travel, and how much you will actually save. And don't forget that the diesel cars generally are more expensive to buy.

You have to do quite a fair amount of motoring to make that difference back!

Also, it helps to actually sit down and do a calculation to see if it will benefit you.  Based on how far you travel, and how much you will actually save.  And don't forget that the diesel cars generally are more expensive to buy. 

You have to do quite a fair amount of motoring to make that difference back!

uhm, you forgot to read the title, it said: "2001/2" avensis, which means i'm looking to buy a used one. no price differences there because most used car prices are flexible anyways.

Fat, you say you're doing FIFTY mpg??? with an avensis??? is that really possible???

i still need advice about how to inspect the D4D engine to make sure it's good! (aka, i'm good with petrol engines, but have absolutely no idea what to listen around for with a diesel)

The reason I stated that, is because in Britain used diesels command a higher price than their petrol counterparts. In fact some diesel cars can still be nearly 1500euro more!

Fat, you say you're doing FIFTY mpg??? with an avensis??? is that really possible???

I drive a 2001 D4-D Avensis and over the last 3 months I have averaged 53 MPG with the aircon on.... So yes it is possible :thumbsup:

As for checking around the engine, just check around it like you would a petrol one..... Most sound abit noisey when starting from cold but this soon goes away.....

Do you have experience driving diesel?? If not, it's gonna be a bit difficult to get use to it:

- vibration is different

- more power on less rpm (just opposite of petrol), less on high rpm

- no much braking with engine, you have to use more of your brakes (do not be agressive driving it)

Generaly, you just have to get use to it, then if car is OK you'll be happy with it.

I have much experience with both diesel and petrol cars (done more then million miles in my life), just don't know about D4-D, never had one. Now, after all, I would never go diesel again, just because I still enjoy driving.

Good luck

I drive a 2001 D4-D Avensis and over the last 3 months I have averaged 53 MPG with the aircon on.... So yes it is possible :thumbsup:

As for checking around the engine, just check around it like you would a petrol one..... Most sound abit noisey when starting from cold but this soon goes away.....

I also get that figure with aircon on all through the summer, and amazingly it doesnt appear to make any difference to the fuel consumption at all, maybe just a tiny effect on performance though.

I havent reset the mpg computer for a few months and am currently averaging 54.4mpg and that is the real figure because I've worked out fuel used, mileage driven on my calculator, so the computer seems pretty accurate.

if such a whale is averaging over 50mpg then it must be a dream car... even though it sounds a bit like a tractor to me :D

thank you all for the tips and advices and an especially big thank you to bosnjo!

when i get to check out one i'll continue this topic. too bad people like only german and italian cars here so toyota's are really hard to come by :crybaby:

I drive since 1983. Up to date I've owned myself 2 Fiat (2nd hand) and 7 VW cars (5 of them new), drove company's 2 Renault Megane, 1 VW Golf 1.4, 1 Toyota Hillux Tracker, 1 VW Passat 1.9 TDI. There is a huge history of VW quality. I can confirm it, it was always great car. In January this year I've sold my VW Golf 1.6 and bought Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTi (new). It was "so long" to VW. I'll try to explain why did I do such a radical change.

In 2001 I bought my last VW. It was Golf 1.6i, petrol engine. I've liked that car a lot. I always felt it too small for me, because I wanted saloon, but at that point wise step toward the saloon was only to Passat, too expensive for my pocket. VW Vento (known as Jetta in some countries) was more expensive then Golf and it was basicaly the same car, just little bit longer. I paid at June 2001 25.000€ for Golf (final price). This year, when I decided to go for new car, I first went to VW dealer. There was the new VW Golf (last model). I've asked for the price of 1.6 FSI, equipped basicaly the same as mine. The final price was 30.000€. 5.000 more then mine when I bought it new. I went inside the car and at 1st place noticed extreme drop of interior quality. Plastics are so bad that, I have to admit, it made me fell bad. I've always trusted that car so much... And it was even 5.000 more for worse car. My Golf had 105hp and it would accelerate 0-100 km/h in 10,5 sec. New model announced 0-100 in 10,8 with 115hp. Shame, I understood that car was heavier then model before, that they couldn't solve acceleration problem with 6 speed gearbox, giving shorter range from 1st to 5th speed.

Part of my eye was always on Toyota. Toyota dealer is just beside VW one in town I live in. So, I went there. My Avensis was peeking at me through the glass. Final price 31.500€, with alarm, 6CD's changer, Roof Bars... Much better equipped then Golf, engine 1.8 130hp, saloon, safety... Well, decision was done...

So, why Toyota???

For me; Toyota Hillux Tracker my company owns is something more resistant I ever drove. That car is used only in off-road needs, through forests, in sand, over rocks, do lot of unwanted jumps and bumps... and never broke anything. Has now 150.000 km's and if you look at it you fall in love with it... Who would say it is 6 years old and done just 10% on roads, the rest out of them.

I've spoke with cheef of sales at Toyota and asked for his opinion about Toyota's future, relation quality/price. He said he was sure it will continue the way it is right now, because Toyota can always menage much less expensive labour then germans and idea is to do the same as it was done with electronics industry - JUST TO TAKE OVER...

Many of us remember Grundig TV's. It was something like Mercedes S Class... Japanese TV's came out but nobody would even bother looking at them. And what about today... Sony doesn't even need introduction because "It's Sony"...

Here we'll be to see...

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links