Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led's In Outer Air Vents

Griffyn

I was just wondering if anyone else has managed to put LED's in the outer air vents? I remember ages ago wen i did all my other LED's and cathodes that no1 knew how 2? It is quite a mission to be fair as you need to take the whole dashboard out of the car! Dont know if anyone else still has there LED's/cathodes anymore.......but if you want any advice on how to do it then I can post a how to....will take some pics later on my fone wen its dark if i remember. :thumbsup:

I have mine here....and I think that they look the bomb :thumbsup:

DSC00157.jpg

From what I have seen from the garages, a few people have put them in the vents! I was thinking of buying some glass paint and painting the bulbs blue so that my dash lights would match, but I also have some 10" cathodes to fit in the footwells

Anyway.........I think this post is gonna turn into the CHAV THREAD :D !

And yeah yeah I know it has been done/shown before, but it's for the newbies :D

They look ok.... as long as you do a lot of night driving - they probably dont look so good during the day! :D

PS, slightly OT - Dave - have just noticed you are a Coventry lad - I'm a Rugby lass born and bred, currently live outside Hinckley - always nice to see another local Yaris owner about! :thumbsup:

looks cool ЪV€....how big are the LED's that you fitted i.e. how many lights to one bulb(if you know what i mean :wacko: )

Personally i think LED's are ok inside the car.. but when they are on the outside.. it turns taste to chav.. just my opinion though.

I didn't use LED's I used two blue cold cathod tubes 4" I think......I brought them off eBay for around £4 for two tubes with all the connections to fit in my pc but fitted them in my car instead (With a little modding!)

Plus you can tell how much brighter they are than LED's from the guys post above!

You can get all different types of colours and they light up alot better compared to a LED!

Linky

If you dont like eBay maplins sells them alot more expensive mind you £9ish. They are dead easy to fit as you dont have to solder anything and it takes around 3 mins to install! No holes made either so it can easily be removed!

p.s Demonic Angel.....you think that there OT (OTT I think you mean :P !) You know what the surrounding area is like.......if you dont have neons

YOUR NOTHING!

lol

i used to have these in my car, not the air vents but footwell and the storage holes either side of main dash, but taken out, the footwells were 12" and 4" for holes either side of dash i got mine from ebuyer, i thikn matt had them in the air vents at some point!

i used to have these in my car, not the air vents but footwell and the storage holes either side of main dash, but taken out, the footwells were 12" and 4" for holes either side of dash i got mine from ebuyer, i thikn matt had them in the air vents at some point!

so why did you take them out, i think it looks alright (at night)

p.s Demonic Angel.....you think that there OT (OTT I think you mean  :P !) You know what the surrounding area is like.......if you dont have neons

YOUR NOTHING!

lol

Very true - Coventry is very much neon city, especially down at the Skydome on a Friday night! :lol::lol:

so why did you take them out, i think it looks alright (at night)

did look good

but couple blow and needed re wiring and just didnt have the time

Dave what you done in your pic is reffered to as cubby holes, if you look at my pic did them ages ago, and front and rear footwells, all air vents and bottom of my stealth shelf...also roof interior light so car is blue not white wen door is opened. Looks awesome if you like that thing! Every1 who has seen them love it even my mum who hates chav cars!

There is blue eveywhere wen there all on, HAHA :eek:

Also i go2 warwick uni which aint far frm u dave and angel at all! Gona b living in leamington spa this yr :thumbsup:

I'm finding out that quite a few TOC'ers live nearby.......I think a meet-up is on the cards :thumbsup:

That's if there hasn't been one for a while ?

I finally feel like being part of the comunity by telling people something and not asking questions :D !

I'm finding out that quite a few TOC'ers live nearby.......I think a meet-up is on the cards  :thumbsup:

That's if there hasn't been one for a while ?

I finally feel like being part of the comunity by telling people something and not asking questions  :D !

Yeah quite a few of us live in the Cov & Warks area, theres me (although I'm Leicestershire now, I still class myself Cov & Warks - you can take the girl out of Warks, but you cant take Warks out of the girl! lol), Knightrider, b1nda, you (plus a few others, their names escape me!)

I'd be up for a Cov n Warks meet! :thumbsup:

Yeah sounds like a good idea! Only had one meet so far which was with two other yari...not the biggest meet LOL!!

Well I be properly back at uni end of sept so cld arrange something for around that time? Dont mind where, but cov skydome has a big car park...dnt really kno many other places due to only having my car at uni for one term (uni didnt like it being there so left it on a random road wit free parking :thumbsup: )

Was gonna suggest Skydome - havent been there in ages but its easy to get to and lots of parking - thing is, what can we do there - theres the ice rink, cinema or pub? lol

how do you put them in the air vents, do they pull off? what did u use, little leds, where do u run the cable to keep it tidy? cheers :thumbsup:

car, engine, fast........... who needs led's :P

fair comment but i want the complete package.

Was gonna suggest Skydome - havent been there in ages but its easy to get to and lots of parking - thing is, what can we do there - theres the ice rink, cinema or pub? lol

We could go and watch an Ice Hockey match (if there playing?) The blaze are supposed to be quite good :unsure: ?

Plus if not there are lots of different clubs/pubs places to go......if you wanna know any info let us know as I dont live to far and I can find it out for you guys!

Plus the skydome carpark has ample room for 4 cars.........lol!

how do you put them in the air vents, do they pull off? what did u use, little leds, where do u run the cable to keep it tidy? cheers  :thumbsup:

I think that you would have to remove the main panel (Where all the heating etc dials are) and just trace the wires behind tht.

As for the LED's make sure that you get ultra bright LED's, you should also check out the data sheet and then you can look at the angle variation of the light being disperced. Also get multicore wire and not single core wire as it is more flexable and suitable to the job!

You will also need to include resisters to each LED to limit the current to each LED to stop them blowing up! A typical voltage drive of an LED is 5volts, so I suppose that you could use 9Volt Battery. Now by using Ohms law V=I*R where V=Voltage I=Current and R=Resitance you need to rearrange the formula to find R as you already know the voltage (9V) and your know the current required from the data sheet so.....

V/I=R

and then that will tell you what value resister you will need to get. You then need to solder this in parallel to the resister. Test it before you install it! Oh and install a switch SPST (Single pole single throw)

Also remember that an LED is electrolic (Meaning it has to be placed the right way around for it to work!) The long leg called anode is positive and the short leg is cathod and is the negative leg.

If you need any help just PM us

I have just done a degree in Engineering in electronics and computers you know :thumbsup:

cheers dude im an electronic/electrical engineer myself, well technician at the mo HNC, got the degree to look 4ward to. :thumbsup:

cheers dude im an electronic/electrical engineer myself, well technician at the mo HNC, got the degree to look 4ward to.  :thumbsup:

Well don't do it at Cov Uni......Infact a message to you all

DONT STUDY ANYTHING AT COV UNI :yes: !