Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Flush?

Mr Morse

I'm just about to do an oil & filter change as part of a 120K mile service - would you recommend an engine flush?

If so, which one please?

Forte make the best engine flush ( IMO ).

It can be hard to find though.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the engine hasn't been flushed for ages, or the oil wasn't changed as regularly as it should have been, flushing can loosen all the crap into a sludge that ends up at the bottom of the sump. If this blocks the oil pickup filter then the engine will starve of oil ( especially at higher revs ) and can cause more bother.

Forte make the best engine flush ( IMO ).

It can be hard to find though.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the engine hasn't been flushed for ages, or the oil wasn't changed as regularly as it should have been, flushing can loosen all the crap into a sludge that ends up at the bottom of the sump. If this blocks the oil pickup filter then the engine will starve of oil ( especially at higher revs ) and can cause more bother.

I suspect that this is the case fella - the last service stamp was 60K. The motor seems to run fine, no leaks but a little pinking. How would you suggest I go about it?

Where can I get the Forte flush?

Thanks

I would flush flush flush. Just did a flush on a 133k corsa that hadn't been done since 32k and made a hell of a difference.

I recommend wynns.

Would recommend you pour the stuff in about 50 miles before you empty the oil, drive round but don't cane it. If anything abnormal soundwise or visual happens then stop asap!

drain it and all the crap and gunge will come out. its very therapeutic watching it.

im not a big fan of engine flush. especially on older engines, it can cause alot of trouble. i would rather do a few more frequent oil changes them MAYBE flush it after that.

im not too fond of flush either.

in regards to the pinking, try adjusting the timing via the distributor.

Rich.

im not too fond of flush either.

in regards to the pinking, try adjusting the timing via the distributor.

Rich.

Be carefull with the oil changing and pinking/rattling noises.

I got a 90k paseo with full toyota stamps. Took it easy when i got it and did 1000 miles with 2 oil changes.

First change and the oil in it was like glue. Really thick and not very nice. Put some good quality oil in and ran it for a week.

Second change it was black but i put it down to the new oil picking up the old sludge.

Drove it for 2 days then suddenly started making a little pinking noise. Checked it over and it had quietened down agin when i drove it. There was nothing obvious. Did a 100 mile journey and on the way back the noise got louder and louder. I pulled over and got towed home.

I checked everything over and took the sump off to find the 2 very damaged con rods, the big end sleeves had been well chewed, one had welded itself to the crank and the crank does not look nice at all.

I've just bought a new engine. £400 with 3 months guarantee and only 30k on the clock. So hoping that this engine might be better.

Overall looking back i think the clean oil and looking after it has dislodged loads of gunk which in turn has blocked an oilway and caused some serious damage.

I'd be very very carefull!

Overall looking back i think the clean oil and looking after it has dislodged loads of gunk which in turn has blocked an oilway and caused some serious damage.

I'd be very very carefull!

Every car is a ticking time-bomb, but you gotta have clean oil! I use Seafoam engine treatment in the crankcase --just a splash 50 or so miles before changing the oil -- my reasoning it wont dislodge huge globs of crud, but instead dissolve them. Looking down into the oil filler everything is nice and purty.

Chris