Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Problem

GreenAvensis

Hi,

Have owned a 51 plate 1.8VVTI Avensis for a year or so. Am happy with the car but have noticed that, on some days, the car judders a bit on hard acceleration. Worst tends to be when it's pulling hard at mid-high revs, especially if uphill. Feels a bit like wheel balancing but isn't since it stops when I back off the accelerator. Seems to be related to how hard the engine's pulling. Engine feels pretty nippy and runs smoothly at all other times including tickover.

Not sure if this is connected but, once every two months or so, the engine will take 2-3 seconds of cranking to start and, when it does fire up it will run a bit roughly for 1-2 seconds before settling down and running ok. Then, generally, it will run very well with no juddering at all for a week or so. Then, the juddering starts to get worse over the next few weeks until, about 8 weeks later, it takes longer to start, etc. Starts quickly at all other times.

Hmmm... Ideas anyone?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I don't want to upset you but......

I had a Y reg with the same problem, kept the car for four months before rejecting it to the dealer (Yeomans in Brighton). I allowed them 4 attempts to correct the car and they tried all the service bulletins from Toyota regarding 'steering wheel judder' (of which there are many) but all to no avail. I believe it was an inherent design fault with the VVTi model as any loan car they gave me had the smae problem (to a lesser extent than mine but it was still there) and changed to a D-4D diesel and have no such problems now.

On the other hand, if it is related to your starting problem then that would point to the ignition system. Could be sommat simple like the spark plugs. Hopefully it's on the simple side of things for the cost that could be incurred! :lol:

:thumbsup:

Tazzie,

Thanks very much for this. Recently had a ride in an MR2 which has, I think, much the same 1.8 VVTi engine. Again, same problem. So, as you say, I guess they all do it a bit. The engine's quick and fun but you'd never mistake it for a really smooth unit!

Both problems might be related to the aircon. I used to have this on all the time, including when starting the car. Have recently been turning off aircon when not needed (and when starting) and it's started perfectly ever since. Also noticed that the juddering is quite a lot worse with aircon on (and cooling) than off. This could be due to it loading the engine or, from what I've read elsewhere on the net - bottom of http://www.2carpros.com/topics/ac.htm - , to the aircon system needing topping up (possible) or to the aircon compressor being faulty (unlikely, on a newish car).

Thanks,

Mark.

Hi,

Tazzie: Please could you post some details on the service bulletins they did to your VVTi? I'm not sure if I'm going to pursue this but, if I do, it would be good to have as much info as possible. If other people have experienced the same thing, it's harder for Toyota to claim that there's nothing wrong (they've done that already) or it's a one-off. As I guess you know, it's not the easiest problem to show to people as, often, it just won't happen. BTW: I had a TSB done on the steering to stop it squeaking during low speed manoevres - common fault.

SJ: Thanks for the tip on the spark plugs. Think they're due for replacement on the next service so we'll see.

Thanks

Yeah the aircon compressor can make the engine feel quite strange and a bit noisier if you've noticed. However, the compressor clutch should not operate whilst starting the car. It should only click in a few seconds after startup.

They get a bit worse when the aircon needs re-gassing causing the power output of the engine to appear to vary.

:thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Thought I'd give you an update on this. I tried living with the problem for a year or so then got sick of it. Went back to the main dealer who, by now, had a new service manager. He diagnosed the problem in one test drive and the car now has a new offside driveshaft, fitted under warranty. This has, so far at least, made a pretty big improvement.

I can still provoke the odd bit of vibration but, from what I've read here and elsewhere, this seems pretty typical for a VVTi Avensis. I may look into that further but, for now, it's a result!

Thanks,

GreenAvensis.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links