Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris? And Advise...first Car.

yannis

greetings,

I am thinking of buying my first proper/real car and I am in a dillema between the Yaris 1.3 MMT and the Aygo MMT. I love the design of the Aygo but my only problem with it is is low power (only 1.0). Everybody tells me that this is even less powerful when you go for an automatic. On the other hand, the Gemcar dealer gives me a good deal for the 1.3 automatic yaris, which I like a lot but I am not really dying for...although I can see what he says about the Yaris being a much better car. He also tells me that the Aygo is build in Chech whereas the Yaris is built in Japan - and thus it is of far higher quality...

I have heard that there is also a new Yaris coming up although there seems to be very little about it on the internet...what shall I do, any advise would be welcome.

As I see it - I could wait until the 1.4 Aygo comes out, or get the Yaris deal and be content with a good car. Unless the Augo 1.0 is good enough. I do not foresee making any long travels with it but in 2 years time I might be going back to Greece and I would like to make a nice trip down there. Would the Aygo 1.0 handle such a journey? How far better off would I be with the 1.4 Aygo a few months down the line? Or shall I go for something big and powerful like the Corolla? (that's another car I die for...but it may be too big for a first car...given that for the last year I learned to drive on an old peugeot 205)

Any advise would be welcome.

many thanks

yannis

Your first car?

Why are you so concerned about power?

If it’s your first car are you a newly qualified driver?

The Aygo will be more than adequate for you as a first car (top speed of 98mph and 64 miles to the gallon by the way).

Also cheap insurance and you will have the chance to develop your no claims bonus (hopefully) then maybe you could strive for more ‘power’ at a later date when you are a more experienced driver?

The Aygo will get to Greece and back without a problem.

Only the Yaris T Sports are built in Japan, the rest are built in France. The Aygo is built in the same factory as the new Citroen and Peugeot; I wouldn’t be too concerned about build quality on a Toyota!

Your first car?

Why are you so concerned about power?

good question...this is actually a big question even in my academic work lol...but everybody is telling me that 1.0 is just not enough...

If it’s your first car are you a newly qualified driver?

I have had my driving licence (greek) since 1997 but only last year I have managed to start driving and as I said with an old and crunky Peugeot 205 (automatic). I was added to the insurance of a friend who owns that car...so not sure how this would translate about the no bonus claim stuff...

The Aygo will be more than adequate for you as a first car (top speed of 98mph and 64 miles to the gallon by the way).

Also cheap insurance and you will have the chance to develop your no claims bonus (hopefully) then maybe you could strive for more ‘power’ at a later date when you are a more experienced driver?

sounds good advise to me...but would you wait for the 1.4 model? or would that make it far more expensive for me...

The Aygo will get to Greece and back without a problem.

hopefully...

Only the Yaris T Sports are built in Japan, the rest are built in France. The Aygo is built in the same factory as the new Citroen and Peugeot; I wouldn’t be too concerned about build quality on a Toyota!

well the sales rep was so keen to sell me the Yaris that he came up with everything he could imagine...although because I want an automatic they offered me the Yaris Tsport...i think the few sales reps I had the chance to talk to had great fun with my car-ignorance...despite my 29 years of life...but I am learning...

thanks for your input...

If you want a Toyota for a first car then you can’t go wrong with the Aygo.

Remember it has the VVTi engine so it’s going to be better than other 1 litre cars.

I’m sure the owners of 1ltr Yaris’ will be along to tell you not to worry about the size of the engine.

Also the Aygo is lighter than the Yaris!

Go for a test drive, you may be pleasantly surprised.

:thumbsup:

Welcome to TOC Yannis! :group-cuddles:

The 1.4 Aygo will be a diesel one, not a petrol one.

The 1.0 is surprisingly nippy - I had a 1.0 Yaris as a courtesy car and I'm used to a 1.3, but I was pleasantly surprised with the 1.0 - its a good little engine and perfectly adequate for all types of journeys.

If you want an Aygo, have an Aygo - dont feel pressured into buying a more expensive car just because the salesperson wants you to! They work on commission remember!

Saying that we also have a 2.0 Diesel Corolla, which is lovely to drive, however they are big cars, much bigger than the Yaris.

New Yaris wont be out til next year - they claimed September but theres nothing about to prove it, so I reckon early 2006 for the new Yaris, which is slightly bigger than the current one. :thumbsup:

I've got a 1litre T2 Yaris.

As Dem said, it's a very nippy car. Will happily cruise at M-way speeds, on the M-way... :D

I did have a 1.3 T3 for about a month though as a coutesy car, and that was quite a bit stronger IMO. More power, that wasn't in your face.

It's hardly a supercar though, and if driven sensibly, is a fine car.

If I had the choice and the money (to pay for car & insurance), I would've chosen the 1.3 T3.

Saying that, I do like my 1litre T2 very much, and it's very comfy, economical and easy to drive. I can squeeze upto 400 miles out of a full tank (usually got 350 - but then I don't really drive pedal to the metal).

Conclusion (My opinion), get the Yaris 1.3 MMT

The new Yaris will be out in January, I read it in evo magazine!

Yannis, the 1 litre is a good engine, test drive both and then decide! :thumbsup:

Only the Yaris T Sports are built in Japan, the rest are built in France.

Not unless this is a recent thing because my 1.0 GS was built in Japan & I know there are plenty of cars on here built in Japan that aren't T Sports

Yannis, the 1 litre is a good engine, test drive both and then decide! :thumbsup:

Thats the best thing to do

I had a 1.0L t3 for a year before going to a 1.3 Yaris Blue, the 1.0L was very good for it's size but it was times like when I had to use a really busy roundabout every morning and I needed more power it failed and you had to rev her quite hard for decent acceleration.

I'm very happy with the 1.3 now, when I had a 1.0L courtesy car it was a real shock going back to a 1.0L, it really did not feel strong at all.

if you have got the money I would suggest going for a 1.3 straight off rather than getting a 1.0L. I filled up the Blue yesterday and she had done 353 miles since last filling up, not bad eh! Toyota also state that the 1.0L yaris consumption isnt any different to the 1.0L so thats something to bear in mind aswell.

Toyota also state that the 1.0L yaris consumption isnt any different to the 1.0L so thats something to bear in mind aswell.

I wouldn't expect it to be either....

:D :D :D

Toyota also state that the 1.0L yaris consumption isnt any different to the 1.0L so thats something to bear in mind aswell.

Me neither!

Also dont feel pressured by what us lot say either Yannis - its your decision at the end of the day - we can give advice, but its up to you what you want!

I'd like to see another Aygo on the forums, same as I'd like to see another Yaris, dont let the 1.0 engine spoil your decision! :thumbsup:

Firstly like many of the others i own a 1.3 Yaris, but have had a 1.0 Yaris as a courtesy car and i was really impressed with it. The difference between the 2 is not that much if its mostly inner city driving you're doing. Also i got over 43mpg out of it and i was driving it like it was stolen! :lol:

The vvti in toyota engines are great, and i'm sure you'd find it out performing any engine in its class and comparing itself to larger engines.

Also remember this .. if we think the engine in a 1.0 Yaris is good and nippy, just think what it'll be like in an Aygo. It will be even better since the Aygo is very much lighter.

Go for a test drive, you'd soon see what we're all waffling about! :thumbsup:

Haha sorry end of lunch-hour rushed typing there! :lol:

Toyota also state that the 1.0L yaris consumption isnt any different to the 1.3L so thats something to bear in mind aswell

Happy now? :lol:

The Aygo has only got a 3 cylinder engine though which makes it slower than the Yaris! :yes:

Also remember this .. if we think the engine in a 1.0 Yaris is good and nippy, just think what it'll be like in an Aygo. It will be even better since the Aygo is very much lighter.

Go for a test drive, you'd soon see what we're all waffling about!  :thumbsup:

Thats a really good point - the Aygo is lighter so not as much weight for it to pull along!

Test drive both at your Toyota centre - and take it from there! :thumbsup:

Dont know where you got that only the TS is made in Japan Reece....

Unless as previously stated its a new thing...

My old 1.3l CDX was built in Japan, she still has her sticker to prove it lol (unless Blaze has removed it)

I have spoken with people who have driven the 1.0l the 1.3l and the TS... and there is a large gap performance-wise between the 1.0l standard and the 1.3l standard. Although both extremely good cars, if you want one that has enough power to 'get you out of a situation' should the need arise... the 1.3 would be the better of the two, but neither are to be sniffed at ;)

From what I hear about the Aygo, although good little cars, they dont have as many creature comforts as the Yaris, and are more difficult to mod. Now whether you are planning on doing this or not doesnt matter, even something simple as putting in a different stereo in an Aygo, you need to remove almost all the dash (apparently). Plus there is no cigarette lighter for charging SatNav/Mobiles etc (also apparently).

Although lovely little cars, I would go for the 1.3l Yaris anytime.

But hey, thats just my 2pence worth ;)

As stated above, obviously test drive the both of them, and go with your instincts :) :thumbsup:

Good Luck ;)

The Aygo has only got a 3 cylinder engine though which makes it slower than the Yaris! :yes:

1.0 Yaris = Top speed 97mph with a 0 to 60 in 13.6 sec

1.0 Aygo = Top speed 97.5 mph with a 0 to 60 in 14.2 sec

Plus the Aygo is a lot more economical :hokus-pokus:

I was referring to the phase two, not the older version.

My old 1.3l CDX was built in Japan, she still has her sticker to prove it lol (unless Blaze has removed it)

hehehe nope! its still there! :D

The Aygo is a lovely little car, but (it may have been said before) people walk in with the intentions of buying an Aygo and end up leaving with a Yaris Colour Collection. The Aygo forum has a lot of info in if you are interested in it! :thumbsup: Smashing little car though!

greetings,

I am thinking of buying my first proper/real car and I am in a dillema between the Yaris 1.3 MMT and the Aygo MMT. I love the design of the Aygo but my only problem with it is is low power (only 1.0). Everybody tells me that this is even less powerful when you go for an automatic. On the other hand, the Gemcar dealer gives me a good deal for the 1.3 automatic yaris, which I like a lot but I am not really dying for.

yannis

Yannis the MMT Yaris is ONLY available with the 1.0 litre engine.......the 1.3 that you refer to is an ordinary automatic, which in my opinion is best avoided.

The 1.0 litre Yaris MMT is a terrific car to drive and I think you will not be dissapointed with it if you got one....they are not slow....believe me :yes:

The 1.0 litre Aygo MMT is however cheaper but quite a bit smaller than the Yaris.

It is your money.......therefore your choice.....Good Luck....and welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

The 1.0 l is awesome 67bhp all other 1.0 l ie peugeots, chitroens (typo inteded) and boxhauls (typo inteded) have 50bhp

guys nice to have found you and thanks for all the advise...I feel I might hang in a bit longer around here.

I was just talking to a friend who is completing his PhD on mechanical engineering (he designs track engines for US army) and and he had a look at all the specs - and thinks that my best bet is to wait for the Aygo 1.4 model, which will be diesel and has a better engine overall. He reckons this is going to be even cheaper than the current one. He looked at the specs of C1 1.4 and thinks that it's worth the wait...maybe insurance will be higher? (not sure)

it's only 6 months isn't it? Maybe that's enough time to see how the Aygo does overall as a car in real life - and then get the best one. Only hick up is that diesel at the moment in greece is not the most popular type (apparently they have very bad diesel and you can only register commercial vehicles with diesel) but I am not going back any time soon...

saying all this I can spend my time test driving the 1.0 model in the next few weeks and see how it goes...or even play with a few sales reps to get the best deal...any ideas would be welcome :)

thanks again

Yannis

I finally had my test drive with the Aygo+ 1.0 model MMT.

Nice little car but I can't say I was impressed with the power of the engine. I thought it would be stronger but it feels almost dead...it doesn't accelarate well at all...I used to think that my old Peugeot 205 was too old and warn out but it gives me more boost that the Aygo.

Even though I have little experience with cars I could really feel the difference which put me off.

I will probably wait for the new Yaris or the Aygo 1.4 which from what I hear would come out around the new year...the only other car that tempts me at the moment is the Corola - but for an automatic there is only the 1.6 model - which means that it will cost a lot - both insurance wise and fuel wise.

I could probably get a very good deal on this Yaris which they are dying to sell but if I am going to buy a new car I better buy a new car - not a car that has been selling for so many years already...

thanks for all the advise again...i will let you know...and hopefully soon i will have my desired toyota.

yannis

greetings,

I am thinking of buying my first proper/real car and I am in a dillema between the Yaris 1.3 MMT and the Aygo MMT. I love the design of the Aygo but my only problem with it is is low power (only 1.0). Everybody tells me that this is even less powerful when you go for an automatic. On the other hand, the Gemcar dealer gives me a good deal for the 1.3 automatic yaris, which I like a lot but I am not really dying for.

yannis

Yannis the MMT Yaris is ONLY available with the 1.0 litre engine.......the 1.3 that you refer to is an ordinary automatic, which in my opinion is best avoided.

The 1.0 litre Yaris MMT is a terrific car to drive and I think you will not be dissapointed with it if you got one....they are not slow....believe me :yes:

The 1.0 litre Aygo MMT is however cheaper but quite a bit smaller than the Yaris.

It is your money.......therefore your choice.....Good Luck....and welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

I am having second thoughts about buying the "old" yaris now that I've driven the Aygo 1.0 which didn't impress me at all and after having seen the pics of the new yaris (Vitz) which I again doesn't feel like a Yaris to me...

Why would you avoid the 1.3 automatic model? That's my first obvious choice as I don't like driving manuals.

thanks

yannis

I am having second thoughts about buying the "old" yaris now that I've driven the Aygo 1.0 which didn't impress me at all and after having seen the pics of the new yaris (Vitz) which I again doesn't feel like a Yaris to me...

Why would you avoid the 1.3 automatic model? That's my first obvious choice as I don't like driving manuals.

End of the day, your money your choice.

You want an automatic and you want a ‘powerful car’

Maybe you should be looking at other manufacturers.