Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Noise Levels

theShire

Hi all,

Just been pulled by a Garda for my exhaust. And No, it's not a backbox but an entire cat-back system which will be well expensive to have built from scratch.

He quoted me some law, which I can't remember, which says that it is above legal noise limits.

Personally, I don't find my exhaust loud at all and from what I've been able to find the legal level is approx. 72dB.

I have absolutely no problem changing/modifying the system to reduce noise levels but what i want to know is if there is anywhere I could actually get my car tested for the exhaust noise.

He didn't test my car at all, he just said it was too loud. Anyone think I would be right in asking that he test the noise levels before i go about changing anything.

He said he would be 'reasonable' about it and has given me 2 weeks to change my exhaust and I must present my car to him at the local station.

As I said, I have no problem with him doing his job and if I'm wrong I WILL sort it but can i be sure that whatever i do to quieten it, as much as possible, will still be within the law?

Any views/comments would be much appreciated

tricky one that, on where to get an official test done

only place i can think of is a racetrack where they test exhaust noise as again its not allowed to be too loud....

As far as i know there is no Law in the UK (not sure about Ireland) on noise limits from exhausts as my old MR2 turbo has a pass by noise of 90db and i had no problem with it with MOT's.

I would say that if your car passes the MOT with that exhaust on you are legal but saying that if someone complains about your exhaust then the council would have to act on it under noise pollution laws.

Don't know of a noise level - hell, have you ever seen a Harley pulled over for it's exhaust noise level?

However, if it's similar to bikes, then exhaust noise at MOT time is upto the tester's discretion.

As long as it's NOT got "not for road use" or "For race use only" stamped on it, then it should be fine I believe.

my mates brand new harley is quieter than my yaris :P

cause the yaris is loud as f*** and im as common as muck, togeather........... we make a right odd couple.

PMSL....

Has he still got standard pipes on it?

Tell him to buy some straight-thru screamin' eagles...

That should wake everyone up... :D

Thanks guys for your info!

BUt over here the Gardai are starting to pull this trick on every young fella with any type of modified exhaust.

I know that under EU law that there is a legal limit but our NCT, similar to your MOT, does not specifically test for this. Thats the excuse the Garda that I'm dealing with is using. So even though I passed the test, he has told me that it doesn't matter.

If I get too in his face about it he WILL harrass me so I'm hoping to contact him and 'politely' ask that he test the exact level.

My excuse will be that i cannot replace the exhaust and must get an entire system built from scratch- so i need a reference point as to what is too loud so that when i get a new system made(-NOT!) it will be legal.

If he can't test it or it is below the legal limit then he has no legal basis to do anything to me.

Am I right in this or should I just put up & shut up and get my exhaust changed????

Any more help/ideas

I think you are along the right lines there matey ;) he HAS to proove that your exhaust is too loud, before he can make you change it.

Tricky one,

With motorbikes if it is "E marked" then it is legal, if not then it is illegal. The E marking process verify's the noise level. I'm sure my stock motorbike exhaust is 96dB which is pretty near the limit.

The other difficult thing with you getting it tested is where to test it from. Race tracks do two tests, one 50cm away from the exhaust and one from 2 microphones on the stands (fly by noise)

I would ask for some clarification on what is illegal because you may be able to do something to your current system to make it legal??

get a potato cut a hole thru middle and whack it up ur back box that will make it quiter

places liek radio shack or whatever they are clled now sell db meters

get a potato cut a hole thru middle and whack it up ur back box that will make it quiter

places liek radio shack or whatever they are clled now sell db meters

Not much use though if we don't know what the limit is or where to take the reading from :blink:

was told that the exhaust on my RX7 was 120db :blink:

it does get really lud when on boost, better drive off boost then :P

Just bought one of those sound meters from Maplin and testing my car I got 90dB at idle and 105dB at 6K rpm. To be honest though that was with the car reversed into the drive with the exhaust tip about 1 foot from the garage door, so easily could have had echoes interfering with it.

I'm off to find a nice quiet area to test it now and i'll let you know what readings I get

Tested it in local Industrial estate- about the quietest place I could find- where the background noise was 65db- :unsure:

Noise levels taken at 0.5m from the exhaust tip at a 45degree angle

81db at idle

101db at 6K rpm

Dont quote me on this but when you noise test an exhaust i think you are ment to do it 1 meter from the exhaust

There's a story going around here that the police in Hertfordshire are stopping people with ANY non standard exhaust and telling them to get it replaced.

Apparently the only exhausts they are happy accepting are standard or TUV approved.

If its true then I can only assume they are using some obscure part of the construction and use legislation, in which case we can probably look forward to the end of modified cars.

Got some info from guys on an Irish message board:

it looks like the max limit for an exhaust could be 72db

EU Council Directive 92/97/EEC- http://europa.eu.int/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?...&model=guichett

That also tells of how it is to be tested and i doubt that any Garda would take the time/effort to do this correctly

was told that the exhaust on my RX7 was 120db  :blink:

it does get really lud when on boost, better drive off boost then  :P

You really should be a Gold (paying) member of these forums before you advertise cars for sale on them :rolleyes:

You really should remove the advert from your signature..........it is against forum rules

theyre starting to pick up on this kinda thing in my town too now... :s

my exhaust is quite loud... so wont be crusing aorund as much...

espec when they do get a db thingy :s

what is the actual legal limit?

Got some info from guys on an Irish message board:

it looks like the max limit for an exhaust could be 72db

EU Council Directive 92/97/EEC- http://europa.eu.int/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?...&model=guichett

That also tells of how it is to be tested and i doubt that any Garda would take the time/effort to do this correctly

and here was i wondering where our taxes went!!!!!!!!!!!!! :censor: :censor:

you need a degree in bul---it ! to understand this crap.

no disrespect to the plod :thumbsup: but if they can understand how to implement this then u have spent too much time in strasbourgh and need to go back home and do the job that u are paid for!!!!!!!!!

CATCH SOME REAL!!!!!!! !Removed! CRIMINALS :censor: :censor: :censor:

That stuff is a bit strict - I'm sure some stock exhausts don't fit that espicially on bikes.

Just paint your current exhaust black, and tell hime you went and got a new one and asked for it to be legal, he might then let you go with your "new" exhaust :D

I'd love if that would work but I doubt it- been told that I can't do anything to it to quieten it by local garage so I'm off to get a quote for the replacement system from the Toyota dealer- obviously gonna be too expensive so probably have to pay the fine!

Any1 think that a second mid-box could be installed to help reduce the noise or am I just wasting my time with it?

oh yea- testing my mates 1L Polo yesterday evening we got 65dB at idle and 88dB at a fairly high rpm(not sure- didn't want to annoy the neighbours!) So, for a 1.6 sports car, the results I got don't seem too excessive? or do they?