Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Inaccurate Fuel Gauge?

jim 44

The fuel gauge on my recently purchased 1998 1.6 GS Corolla illuminates the warning light, and the needle is under the E, but when I fill up there is the best part of 2 gallons left in the tank. Is this the norm or would a new fuel gauge read more accurately?

Any advice please?

Hi

On my T Sport the light comes on with at least 2 gallon left :blink: . So may be it's normal for Toyota's to be like that.

Pb

:wacko:

before you replace your dashboad does yuor fuel gauge read correctly when you fill a full tank of petrol ? does it go just above the F mark ?

ive nearly mastered the corrolla fuel guage, its very decpetive, it stays full for 60miles then drops right down to empty very quick. but i have seen me get 20miles from when the neddle is a the absolute zero untill going to get more fuel.

yeah mine does the same, the fuel light will come on when i have 1/4 of a tank in <_<

Yeh the fuel gauges in modern cars seem to err on the side of idiot proofing by having a much larger reserve (ie. the amount in the tank when the light comes on). I suppose its to stop fools from getting their new car and then forgetting to fill it up or something and rely on the wanring light to gently remind them :) I doubt there are many places when you are more than 2 gallons worth of petrol from a garage (assuming you don't drive like a nut!). I've done 50 miles in my 1.4 with the warning light on (although at motorways speeds, hence better fuel consumption than normal) and remember calculating that I still had plenty left when I filled it up.

I also agree that the needle sticks at the top for ages - I can get 75 to 90 miles before the needle starts dropping sometimes, but it then quickly goes to 3/4, sticks there for a bit, then down to 1/2 (which I don't think is actually 1/2 a tank at all), sticks for a bit, then very gradually drops down past 1/4 and for about 50-60 miles looks like its on empty before the light comes on.

My advice - so long as it shows full when you fill up, and moves while you drive, don't worry about it! :)

hi i filled up my car on the way to work last night just above half way and it took 27 litres to fill it since its a 50 litre tank i tend to agree half way aint half way at all. My fuel warning light comes on at the 1/4 mark but i've found there to be at least 10 litres in the tank when the guage is on the E. But if you let the needel drop to the bottom of the E the postion it is when the car aint switched on there is only about a litre left in the tank. I dont let it get that low all the time it was just that i was going down Dover for the week and i did just over 500 miles in total and filled up at the same petrol station i did before i left home. I think i worked it out at 47 mpg.

fuel light come on the last 1/2 tank i agree can be normal but jim 44 fuel light come on below the E mark that surely cant be normal for any car

if he fill his car up to full tank he can see how close his needle are to the F mark if it doesn't go above the F or just level with the F mark, if that is the case then he can simply try and adjust the fuel gauge needle for better accuracy but need to be very careful to do this adjustment.