Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big Muffler & Rattles

Andygaud

Hi one and all, this is my first post on this site, so be gentle with me!

We have just brought a 1994 SS2 (ST202), its a fairly clean car with about 95,000

miles.

There appears to be a lot of suspension type rattles when you go over pot holes; cats eyes etc. Being new to Toyota and not having had a grovel underneath yet, any suggestions what normaly goes or wears on suspension? Any tips etc?

Also the exhaust is a tad embarising as its so big!! If I was 18 to 20 would probably be cool, however being over 40 it just looks silly. Could I just change the rear box, or would that have a negative effect on the performance?

Look forward to receving any comments Cheers.

Hi and Welcome,

I've no idea about the suspension - does it have superstrut? If so they are prone to wearing out quickly - can't remember which Jap imports had it as an option. (Think it says on a sticker in the window if you have got it) If you search this forum you will find some info on it. My car has standard suspension, and has 112,000 miles on the clock with no noises what-so-ever.

You should be able to change the rear box with no problems, the stock box isn't very big really - I would recommend get a stainless steel back box which you think looks nice and would probably be a bit bigger than standard

I'm sure some other will post soon who know more about the suspension

Welcome to TOC. And congrats on getting a Celica. Top motors. :thumbsup:

GT4 Booster will be the man to ask. He`s had a ST202. But i would immediately suspect the anti roll bar bushes and drop links or failing that check the anti rattle shims are in the brake calipers. Could be pads rattling around. Happy grovelling. :D

Hi Andy, Welcome to the club, You have the same model as me sounds like the same problem too, Does the suspension rattle the most under 15mph? Has it got a sticker on the back window saying super strut suspension? If so i you may need to replace a few bit on the front, GT4 BOOSTER is the man to ask. Changing the backbox from a aftermarket 1 to standard shouldn't affect the performance of the car at all.

Changing the backbox from a aftermarket 1 to standard shouldn't affect the performance of the car at all

You reckon? Aftermarket backboxes are a straight through design, and the standard box is highly unlikely to be, so there will be a loss in performance.

Changing the backbox from a aftermarket 1 to standard shouldn't affect the performance of the car at all

You reckon? Aftermarket backboxes are a straight through design, and the standard box is highly unlikely to be, so there will be a loss in performance.

hey?

ur saying that an aftermarket box will increase performance?

i doubt it on an ST202 :(

chances are its been lowered , it looks ok but after a long time the ride quality is !Removed!.dianosing noises isnt easy when ur not there.you dont mention if the noises are front or rear, i bet the rear , and if so it will most likely be the rear anti roll bar bushes, £10 to replace , get new lowering springs on it or go back to standard toyota height and all ur problems should fade away. going back to toyota back box will give you a good growl still and performance should be the same imho.

ur saying that an aftermarket box will increase performance?

i doubt it on an ST202

Fair enough. I'm a 182 owner, not a 202 owner, so I don't know what the standard backbox is like on a 202. The 182 backbox is very restrictive, and whilst it doesn't give a startling difference in performance, a straight through box does make a bit of difference, mainly through letting the gasses escape better.

Maybe the 202 box isn't restrictive?

toyota made every celica better on their journey ,a 202 will have had problems and performance issues ironed out what lacked in the 182.hence 173 bhp v's 140 . :thumbsup: