Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Filter Location

JT

my engine bay:

109447358.jpg

as you can see, the air filter is located behind the headlight, in between the Battery and fuse box. (here it is closer up)

109447363.jpg

you can also see the cold air feed to the original airbox here. previously, the filter was located on the end of the blue samco hose coming from the throttle body. i recently re-routed it to where it is now, in the hope of it drawing colder air, and it did seem to make a definite improvement to me, especially the top end of the rev range. however, looking at it, it seems fairly restricted there - it's right against the Battery etc and the chassis leg is directly beneath it - there's no direct air feed. im trying to get hold of the original airbox setup to compare what it runs like with the proper airbox and the JR filter

bearing in mind the JR filter seems restricted there, i thought it might be better if i routed it, so it was pointing right down here (as far as possible) next to the gearbox.

109447370.jpg

i was figuring that if i cut a section out of the undertray, where the filter would be, air would be drawn up to it? what do you think?

i was figuring that if i cut a section out of the undertray, where the filter would be, air would be drawn up to it? what do you think?

About 10 years ago this is what K&N recomended you do when fitting the 57I induction kit (which a mate did on his AE92GTi) they gave a piece of tube that fitted from the 'cut out' under tray area which then ran up to the filter area.

hi,

i would be worried about sucking up water if it were too low down... :blink:

i read somewhere about someone making a cold air feed using a catering size baked bean can too cover filter and make hole in end to supply cold air into it using a pipe system configuration... from what i can work out, it really works... :eek:

its gotta be worth a try...

:thumbsup: bert

aah, what so keep the filter in the engine bay (in the bean can :P ) and direct the pipe to a suitable cold air feed?

wouldn't the air feed need to be at the front somewhere though, because id imagine with that, it'll need air forced into it to have much of an effect? if so, where could i put it?

If you can find one, look for an old Rover 820 in a scrappy, as these had more of less what Bert is suggesting with a trumpet on the side for the inlet...

aah, what so keep the filter in the engine bay (in the bean can  :P ) and direct the pipe to a suitable cold air feed?

wouldn't the air feed need to be at the front somewhere though, because id imagine with that, it'll need air forced into it to have much of an effect? if so, where could i put it?

i would put your filter on the end of your blue pipe, and then position can around it and then pipe work to the front of car... the can will act as heat sheild and nice cool air will blow over it and your filter will suck in the nice cool stuff.... if i could draw it i would... get some bits together and have a tinker with it... if you cant get a bean can, one of the big coffee tins would also work.. try asking at your nearest "lard bar " when you order your bacon butties... they use both of these size tins usually... some silicon sealant to seal the pipe where you make a hole to input feed pipe... tin snips to cut hole in end..

sounds like blue peter , but you got nothing to loose by trying..

try asking at your nearest "lard bar " when you order your bacon butties... they use both of these size tins usually

lol, what, "scuse me, can i have one of your old bean tins to use on my car?" :P

i think morrisons sell them - i'd feel like right tit asking for one :D

hi,

one of the apprentices at work has got a nissan almera, he has made himself a filter shield out of a paint tin and run some industrial platic pipe tubing (oversize hoover pipe) fron the front grill into the end of the tin, and sealed it...

i must admit, it looks a crakin job... apparently it has improved the performance too .. fair play.

will try and get a pic of it and post it on here...

cheers :thumbsup:

im still trying to find a suitable tin :D . you don't know where he got the hose from, do you? i can't seem to find it anywhere

You could always do something like I've done with my AE111. Moved the Battery to the boot and then made an air box right behind the front light - fed with cold air from the original feed hole. Take a look at my my website for pics. Navigate to Corolla History and then May 2005

You could always do something like I've done with my AE111.  Moved the battery to the boot and then made an air box right behind the front light - fed with cold air from the original feed hole. Take a look at my my website for pics.  Navigate to Corolla History and then May 2005

:drool: That is one nice engine! :drool:

Gonna have to get myself one of those :D

cheers  :thumbsup:

im still trying to find a suitable tin  :D . you don't know where he got the hose from, do you? i can't seem to find it anywhere

hi,

the hose he used was an old section of pipe that was knocking around work. i think its off an industrial liquid hoover.. do you know anyone that works in a engineering factory? they could help?

i will ask at work where to purchase it from, will have to wait a few days as im on holiday from the place for a week , yeahh.... :)

bert :thumbsup: