Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hows This For A Turbo But Will It Work I Need Help

XscurrenltD

I have been offered this turbo for my Curren XS Ltd engine typpe is a 3afe, 2L is this going to A. fit and B. Actuly be able to be run with out serious mods to my engine can some one help i have limited time to make my discission

Hybrid Garrett TA34 turbo with0.58A/R T/Hsg and 56.5mm T04E Compressor

wheel and front.360 Degree thrust kit, full loop turbine piston

ring.T/Shaft Hiflow and backcut,50mm exducer,10mm blade height,etc.T/Hsg

is T3 type flange,so should bolt straight to manifold.This is internal

wastegate type.Or you could leave wastegate closed and use external

type,etc.This should be good for,350-370HP at the flywheel (260-275KW)

Cheers Guys and Girls

Fitting a larger turbo can be a very indepth job as there are so many viriables to take into consideration.

1) can you engine take it. (normally engines are built 15-30% stronger than they need to be but this dont mean you can just bolt on a big turbo parts like a thicker head gasket may need to be fitted and in some cases forged pistons and stronger con rods and crank shaft but saying that i was running a 3SGTE on stock internals at 18 psi boost on a stage 2 CT26 running at 296 bhp at the wheels. but for that i had to have a chage cooler and a FCD and a piggy back ECU)

2) Can your fuel system provide the extra fuel needed

3) can the cooling system cope with the extra heat (basicly Intercooling as when your boost pressure increases so does the heat of the charge going in so you may need a bigger intercooler or even a charge cooler)

4) can your transmission take the extra power (mainly the clutch)

The reallity is you cant really just bolt on a big turbo and thats it there are other things you may have to do.

HTH

3afe? Isnt this a 1.6 engine?

Or do you mean the 3sfe? this is the 2ltr economy version of the 3sge engine and is about 130bhp i think.

In either case putting ANY type of turbo onto it is going to destroy it.

If you 'really' want to go through all the hassle of turbocharging it i would recommend using a small low boost turbo like the Toyota CT-12 used in the supra tt and the Glanza V.

But with all the hassle and headache - is it worth it? :huh: You'll probably only get 200bhp (flywheel) out of it at the most

3afe? Isnt this a 1.6 engine?

Or do you mean the 3sfe? this is the 2ltr economy version of the 3sge engine and is about 130bhp i think.

If it is this engine Leeky is on about dont turbo charge it, it will blow as the 3SGE is the engine the used in the MR2 (and other cars) and its a N/A and its not ment to take a Turbo.

I have since now researched all of what has been said and have decided in doing a 3S GTE conversion on it i woulod like to get that turbo but i think there are probibly ways to this with out a masive turbo does anyone have any sugestions for getting the best out of a 3S GTE and what i should look to do first

also i am trying to find a decent front spoiler for this car so i wish to know if any one could offer a list of cars that are the same width as a 95 currer or celica

Ideally you want a Rev 3 3sgte. Comes in at 255bhp standard and has the ct20b which can power you up and over 300bhp with minimal lag.

Fensport (uk tuner) have run their engines at over 600bhp using larger turbos amongst other things.

If you cannot stretch to a rev 3 3sgte then you should go for a rev2 but leave the rev1 well alone.

The rev2 comes in at around 220bhp if i remember correctly but has the older CT26 turbo which takes longer to spool up and doesnt boost as strong. Also the head isnt as good as the rev3's. But otherwise the rev2 will power 300bhp without having to change the turbo.

But i've seen rev2 engines over here selling for £200 against the rev3's which are upward of £700.

All depends if you are happy with 300bhp or want to go up to something stupid

I personally round the Rev 3 3SGTE a bit soft and cuddlely (thats going to upset some of the Rev 3 Chaps but its only my opinion) and found the Rev 2 more aggressive but they are only 220 bhp as standard where the Rev 3 is 245bhp and as Leeky said the Rev 3 would be cheaper to get to the BHP you are looking for but i would say for what you want 350 bhp + i would use a Rev 3 engine as a starting point, as to get a Rev 2 to that sort of BHP you are looking at about £3000+ and thats without buying the engine.

I am definitly going for a Rev 3 as they do give more power and also have a few extras like a larger throtle body and as said a stronger head if i wanted to get 350hp out of it what would you say to do first.... larger turbo like the one i was talking about at the start of this or something else

Ok if your going to be fitting a bigger turbo you will need to

Get a good Intercooler dont use the stock one it wont be man enough get a aftermarket one

You will need a FCD (Fuel Cut Defender) as the Rev 3 ECU will cut the fuel off when the boost gets to a certain level.

You will need a boost gauge

You will need a boost controller preferably a electronic one i personally like the Apexi AVC type R as this has a boost gauge built in along with other stuff

You may need a larger fuel pump on my MR2 turbo i use a Walbro

You will need a piggy back ECU either the Unichip or Greedy E-Manage

And you will need a induction Kit

Not sure with the Rev 3 weather you could have the 3 inch Aussie Decat Downpipe but also i dont know the Laws in NZ on Decating

with all that you should be touching close to the power your after

HTH

You will also need a performance exhaust.

Running over 1bar boost will require a larger diameter exhaust to allow the engine to shift the vast amounts of exhaust gas :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links