Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt-1998 Gls

Bilal8210

ive had my avensis gls for a few months now and bought it at 60k, its now done 67k and i dont know weather the timing belt has been replaced or not. i checked under the bonnet for any note but there was nothing. im gnna get the belt changed neway though and was wondering approx how much it was gnna cost me? will it help increase my mpg as im getting a dreadful mpg at the moment! (22mpg)

thanks

I've just had my belt change on my 2.0 and it cost £118 I think at a Toyota dealer.

As regards the fuel economy it won't make a lot of difference if any, though 22MPG means there is something very wrong. I get around 36MPG from my 2.0 auto and thats usually with the A/C on.

Thanks for that mate, does anybody know what it could possibly be thats causing me to get such a low mpg. Other than that the car is perfect. ive just had the car serviced aswell. i only use the car for short journeys but im sure i should be getting more miles for my money. Any suggestions on what the problem could be would realli help.

(the car is a 1998 1.8 gls)

Thanks

If it's a 1.8 then that sort of MPG is very poor.

The problem with Toyota engines is sometimes they are too reliable, so will run even with little faults that aren't enough to trigger the CEL. It's a bit open at the minute, so this could be caused by anything really. But check obvious things like vacuum hoses and plugs. They should be platinum tipped in this (if I remember correctly).

However, if the timing belt is worn a large amount, or has even skipped a tooth then this will cause worse MPG, however you should notice a noticable difference in the way the engine runs. Unless you don't know any different, ie it was like this when you had it.

As with all timing belts, it's a must to get it checked ASAP.

Another contributing factor could be your short trips. How short are they? If it's like one mile at a time then this will knock your consumption a hefty amount.

Tell us more!! :thumbsup:

If it's a 1.8 then that sort of MPG is very poor.

The problem with Toyota engines is sometimes they are too reliable, so will run even with little faults that aren't enough to trigger the CEL.  It's a bit open at the minute, so this could be caused by anything really.  But check obvious things like vacuum hoses and plugs.  They should be platinum tipped in this (if I remember correctly).

However, if the timing belt is worn a large amount, or has even skipped a tooth then this will cause worse MPG, however you should notice a noticable difference in the way the engine runs.  Unless you don't know any different, ie it was like this when you had it.

As with all timing belts, it's a must to get it checked ASAP.

Another contributing factor could be your short trips.  How short are they?  If it's like one mile at a time then this will knock your consumption a hefty amount.

Tell us more!!    :thumbsup:

I usually drive 5 to 10 miles at a time. eg the school trip and to the local shops. The car feels brilliant to drive as ive driven other avensis's and my one feels really good to drive. too be honest the mpg is the only problem i have with the car and am realli pleased with everything else. are there any things i could try to increase the mpg, maybe some common problems with the model? anything that could help me work out the problem would be brilliant, fanxs!!

As I said, check out the vacuum hoses.

These are the thin black pipes that run everywhere near the throttle body. (The bit your accelerator cable is attached to). It only takes one of those to be pulled off or split to cause issues.

But yes, I would say that your sort of MPG isn't very good even at those distances. Get that cam belt checked though! :thumbsup:

That's a good point actually, the petrol tanks are known to fail on these!

• 9 months later...

ive had my avensis gls for a few months now and bought it at 60k, its now done 67k and i dont know weather the timing belt has been replaced or not. i checked under the bonnet for any note but there was nothing. im gnna get the belt changed neway though and was wondering approx how much it was gnna cost me? will it help increase my mpg as im getting a dreadful mpg at the moment! (22mpg)

thanks

Chech the butterfly vacuum rod on the end of the manifold matey. I was getting very poor mpg when I first got my 1.8 7a-FE Avensis 2 years ago. The rod had dislocated which meant the manifold wasn't opening up all 8 ports on the manifold under acceleration. Its not a seperate part and I got the full manifold replaced under warranty but the rod could be fixed into it socket ok but liable to dislocate again.