Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Me With 6x9's

JT

like i said, i know absolutely sweet f.a. about ICE. but im getting sick of having 2 10cm Speakers in the front only :P

so i'm after a pair of 6x9's. does anyone have any recomendations (£100 or less)? i have a JVC headunit (4x50w, i think). will i need an amp to power them, or will the hu be ok? if so, does anyone have any recomendations which ones to buy? and where's best to buy them?

also, this might sound thick, but do the Speakers come with the wires you need? :P

like i said, i know absolutely sweet f.a. about ICE. but im getting sick of having 2 10cm speakers in the front only  :P

so i'm after a pair of 6x9's. does anyone have any recomendations (£100 or less)? i have a JVC headunit (4x50w, i think). will i need an amp to power them, or will the hu be ok? if so, does anyone have any recomendations which ones to buy? and where's best to buy them?

also, this might sound thick, but do the speakers come with the wires you need?  :P

Hey

I can't answer everything but I can tell you the experiences that happend to me....I have a yaris, 4 Speakers only in the front though, got some 3 way 6*9's and it sounds alot better. It depends on how LOUD you want it, if you want it LOUD then you will need an amp, but mines just powered from the HU and it's loud enough for me!

I didn't fit mine.....I went to a garage and paid £50 for fitting!

The Speakers don't come with cable so your have to buy that yourself!

They say that Alpine make the best Speakers, but I haven't got a clue.......im sure somebody else will be along in a bit to answer your question :thumbsup:

Try not to go to Halfrauds!

Look in your local yellow pages for ICE fitters/shops

lol

well i went to Halfords today, just to see what various ones sound like, and how much they were. there was a set of pioneer ones that sounded best to me. i think they were £79.99, but i dunno if they'll be cheaper somewhere else

fitting six by nines is a pretty simple job all you are doin is running the cable to your head unit so dont worry about that.

in my opinion you cant beet alpine gear! for the best deals have a look in max flower or any other modding mag, and check out the mail order companies , u will make MASSIVE savings. but will probably end up with loads of ice that u MUST HAVE because the deals are so good. have fun hope this helps :D

cheers :thumbsup: (god that means i have to go through the shame of buying max/fast/line!)

so do you not reckon i'll need an amp? also, can you get speaker wires that unplug or something, so i can take the parcel shelf out if i need to?

cheers  :thumbsup:  (god that means i have to go through the shame of buying max/fast/line!)

so do you not reckon i'll need an amp? also, can you get speaker wires that unplug or something, so i can take the parcel shelf out if i need to?

Yeah you can easily remove the parcel shelf by just removing the wires from the Speakers, as they simply just clip on/off.

Like I said before you can easily run some 6*9's of your HU, but if your thinking of adding a subwoofer then your need an amp, as the amp filters the high and low frequencies of the music so that the low frequencies will go to the base and the high frequencies can go to the tweeters/normal Speakers, but this will require a 12V power supply taken from your Battery!

If I was you buy some 6*9's and fit them and see what there like.......then you can decide on whether you want to spend more cash

But it's up to you :thumbsup: !

If you want loud, yeah stick in the 6x9 Speakers in.

Probably be stuck on the parcel shelf, being powered off the H/U so all the main sound will come from the 6x9 which are behind you.

Good if you want to sound like a boy racer, bed if you want to sound cool.

Afterwards, when you had enough of the 6x9, and you remove them from your car, you will be left with some big holes in the parcel shelf, good if your going to be selling it soon, otherwise very silly.

Best way for this would to either make a parcel shelf out of MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) cut the holes out for the 6x9 and cover it with some speaker cloth, which you can buy from maplins, Halfords, etc. Or you can get made up parcel shelfs from such companys like Auto Acoustics which are pre made and all you need to do is add your Speakers.

I once tried to tell a friend about why NOT to put in 6x9 Speakers in the car.

His set-up was 5.5" speakers in the front doors, 6x9 on the parcel shelf and a active sub in the boot.

It took me ages to explain what i want to do in his car, even though he loved the sound of the way he set it up.

Once i got my hands in there, he was amazed at what his system could do/sound like and the sound was at the front of the car, not from the back of his head...haha

A good basic set up would be either component/full range speakers at the front and a sub in the boot.

As ЪV€ rightly said, you will need to do some work in order to install an amp in your car, but the benefits of what you could hear is well worth, rather sounding like a boy racer

i hear what you're saying about the 6x9's, but i've found an acoustic shelf, so the holes aren't a problem.

what would be a problem would be cutting holes in the door cards or rear trim panels to fit component Speakers, as the only ones it has are dash mounted. i want to take whatever i put in, out when i sell it, so there would be big holes in the interior everywhere. and i don't want to start shelling out for custom door builds, etc

i'm not that bothered about it sounding perfect, i just want it better than it is now :thumbsup:

(oh yeah, and those pioneers i liked at Halfords are £39.99 everywhere else! :lol: )

i hear what you're saying about the 6x9's, but i've found an acoustic shelf, so the holes aren't a problem.

what would be a problem would be cutting holes in the door cards or rear trim panels to fit component speakers, as the only ones it has are dash mounted. i want to take whatever i put in, out when i sell it, so there would be big holes in the interior everywhere. and i don't want to start shelling out for custom door builds, etc

i'm not that bothered about it sounding perfect, i just want it better than it is now  :thumbsup:

(oh yeah, and those pioneers i liked at halfords are £39.99 everywhere else!  :lol: )

Just put the 6*9's on parcel shelf and see what it sounds like......you may not need to add the other Speakers

They did the job in my car just fine......plus what you could do is rather than cutting in new speaker holes in the doors, just upgrade your current upfront Speakers!

Conclusion.....fit the 6*9's and decide whether you want more Speakers :thumbsup:

All the Speakers including Pioneer that I have bought in the past came with wires.If you are thinking of upgrading your install later on you may be best off getting better quality speaker wire though mate.

Cheers

Ant

Yep, most manufactures wil supply some sort of speaker cable with new Speakers, but don't expect the quality to be brilliant, it's the sort of make do until.... :thumbsup:

Get some decent cable, can be brought from places like maplins, which are good quality, sounds very good, and without the name brands you can get, but by all means, named brands are good as well.

Maplins Link Page

I have QED Silver Anniversary cable stuffed in my car, some thing like £7 a metre, but there are other brands/types out there which are cheaper/expensive, but try and leave the "Come with cable.." in the box :lol:

From my experience in car hifi, this is the most effective cost-performance setup i can advise you:

swap your head unit for a pioneer with "direct sub drive" option. look around http://www.pioneer-eur.com to find one. get a set of 4" component Speakers for up front (10cm midrange + tweeter) and a readily built, but high quality and efficiency bass tube/box and stick it in the boot. run the sub of BOTH rear channels (you "bridge" the rear speaker channels). you WONT BELIEVE the sound you're getting. and now for the added bonus... to get to the next level you just have to buy a small 4 channel amp in the future, and you're ready to rock'n'roll :hokus-pokus:

Good thinking XkillerX, but i think he was asking for advice for helping him with installing a pair of 6x9, not buying a new H/U :wacko:

Sorry

Good thinking XkillerX, but i think he was asking for advice for helping him with installing a pair of 6x9, not buying a new H/U  :wacko: 

Sorry

that's true, but he should still know what is the RIGHT way to go, no? :huh:

Yeah true, buy good equipment now, saves money in the long run. :thumbsup:

But it depends on what he wants to achieve, and what sort of set up he's looking for.

For example, my system, H/U with 3 pre-outs, goes into a 5 channel amp (full active set-up / Tweeters, Mids, Sub) and comp Speakers at front with sub in boot.

Although it's a simple set-up, with excellent SQ, i'm limited with upgrade, such as, can't add rear Speakers if i wanted as H/U is pre-outs only, i would need to re-wire the system.

So although, i've got what i wanted for now, i'm a bit stuffed if i wanted to change.

ive currently got standard front Speakers and a pair of Kenwood 7x10s in the rear (on an MDF stealth shelf) running off a 4x50w headunit and it sounds pretty good im very impressed with the 7x10s having only used 6x9s in previous cars they can produce a suprising amount of bass with just the headunit power. I am putting a set of 5" 1/4 components in the front next week and running the 7x10s and the new fronts from a small 4 channel amp which with the right balance should make it just right for me (i need my boot space so no subs for me) but anyway my point is take a look at 7x10s their worth it and they come with 6x9 adaptors so will fit your shelf if it already has holes cut. and then replace the original fronts with upgraded same size Speakers in the dash add a bit of decent cabling and it will make a vast improvement using just the headunit and only a bit of cash :thumbsup:

Yeah true, buy good equipment now, saves money in the long run.  :thumbsup:

But it depends on what he wants to achieve, and what sort of set up he's looking for.

:thumbsup: i'm also running a 5 channel amp. all of my equipment is kenwood excelon except the rear parcel Speakers, they're jbl. but as for the h/u i didnt stretch further than the kenwood w7027, frankly because i dont see sense in buying a million euro h/u when next year there'll be a better, smarter and significantly cheaper one. too bad kenwood took such a fall in quality, the 2004&5 stuff is :censor: , i'd stick with alpine if i'd have to do it all over again.

:bookworm: so, JT: get yourself a set of expensive alpine 6x9's if you've already made up your mind and want nothing else. like the SPS-690A, they should be around 60 euros but are well worth it.

I'm currently on my 4-5th Alpine, with a new unit on the way, and i've never looked at other unit the same way.

With most other brands, they tend to have lots of flashy lights and loads of buttons, giving no names away..."cough" Sony...Pioneer...Kenwood

With Alpine, one button and do 3-4 function depending which part of the menu your in, simple.

I'm for, getting the unit for what it's used for, such as H/U being a H/U, not having half of a display in there that can show video's as well and the rest suffers, if i wanted to watch a video, i'll get a seperate monitor. :thumbsup:

im looking to put a new ICE install in my new car, a Corolla GXi, but like JT, i know :censor: all about this stuff...

I've seen which H/U i want which is the Alpine 9853R, but after that im pretty stuck as to what i'd need, im not fussed about having a subwoofer, but i would like the sound to be good quality, so reading this thread would I need an amp then?

and also, how much would a typical install cost? not including the H/U?

Cheers

Mike

and sorry JT for hi-jacking your thread! :P

Installing the H/U is fairly easy.

If you know basic electrics, and how to remove the facial around your current H/U, it's plain sailing from there.

You will need a few other bits, such as wiring loom adaptor (that will change the Toyota's wiring loom to fit your H/U) and possibly a ariel adaptor (this will change your current car ariel adaptor into your H/U, it will either be a short/long tip)

I think the Alpine your looking at, will have an internal amp, so an extra external amp is not needed at this point.

You might need to change your current Speakers as well in your car, depending on how good/bad they are, but this will be more work needed and if your not confident, most car audio places can do this for you, for a nominal fee (eg Halfords, etc)

Best thing to do, is give here a search, and find out as much as you can about the model of your car, and what you will need to do.

Look at this website, to find out about audio stuff, they are a great bunch there, and most willing to help out, for all your needs, from a novice to a pro install

Talk Audio Forum

Hope this helps....

:thumbsup:

Installing the H/U is fairly easy.

If you know basic electrics, and how to remove the facial around your current H/U, it's plain sailing from there.

You will need a few other bits, such as wiring loom adaptor (that will change the Toyota's wiring loom to fit your H/U) and possibly a ariel adaptor (this will change your current car ariel adaptor into your H/U, it will either be a short/long tip)

I think the Alpine your looking at, will have an internal amp, so an extra external amp is not needed at this point.

You might need to change your current speakers as well in your car, depending on how good/bad they are, but this will be more work needed and if your not confident, most car audio places can do this for you, for a nominal fee (eg Halfords, etc)

Best thing to do, is give here a search, and find out as much as you can about the model of your car, and what you will need to do.

Look at this website, to find out about audio stuff, they are a great bunch there, and most willing to help out, for all your needs, from a novice to a pro install

Talk Audio Forum

Hope this helps....

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

i am planning on uprating the Speakers all round, but now im puzzled by which types i need :wacko:

So i think i need some new Speakers in the front, some new Speakers in the rear and some tweeters in the front too?

do component speakers come with a main Speaker and a Tweeter?

sorry if that sounds stupid but ive got no idea about any of this :wacko:

Cheers

Mike

Ok Speakers comes in various types, but fall into a few catagories.

Full range Speakers will do the job for most people, components are better but will need more work to install and time to set up.

Ok science bit, our hearing range in the ears can hear from about 20Hz ~ 20KHz.

20Hz is the low end of the hearing, so subwoofer will do this part.

20KHz is the high end of the hearing, so tweeters will do this part.

Now, not all Speakers and do this, like, you can't hear high frequences with a sub, and you can't get bass from tweeters.

Full range will give you a good span of frequences with little fuss in set up, a mid range and tweeter speaker are mounted together inline so having them installed in the basic car, will give you some good sound.

The only downside, is the high frequences you want to hear, will be pointed towards your ankles, hence having components speakers instead.

Component speakers, same as full range speakers, but it has been seperated, so now you have a Mid range speaker and a tweeter. It will sound the same, but you can now postion the tweeter part in a different part of the car, and now gives you more detail from your music.

When installing component speakers, what most people do, is fit the Mid range speaker in the bottom of the door, and the tweeter at the top of the door.

This will improve the quality in what your ears can hear, but will make the sound sound like it's coming over your dashboard.

If you are considering fitting rear speakers, but not too fussed about the quality or rear passengers :lol: then fit some mid range speakers in the rear.

What this will do, is to give the rear of your car a "fill in sound" but not to take away the sound you have at the front of your car. It's a but like surround sound in rear, you can hear it but it's not takng the main music from the front.

Ok speakers comes in various types, but fall into a few catagories.

Full range speakers will do the job for most people, components are better but will need more work to install and time to set up.

Ok science bit, our hearing range in the ears can hear from about 20Hz ~ 20KHz.

20Hz is the low end of the hearing, so subwoofer will do this part.

20KHz is the high end of the hearing, so tweeters will do this part.

Now, not all speakers and do this, like, you can't hear high frequences with a sub, and you can't get bass from tweeters.

Full range will give you a good span of frequences with little fuss in set up, a mid range and tweeter speaker are mounted together inline so having them installed in the basic car, will give you some good sound.

The only downside, is the high frequences you want to hear, will be pointed towards your ankles, hence having components speakers instead.

Component speakers, same as full range speakers, but it has been seperated, so now you have a Mid range speaker and a tweeter. It will sound the same, but you can now postion the tweeter part in a different part of the car, and now gives you more detail from your music.

When installing component speakers, what most people do, is fit the Mid range speaker in the bottom of the door, and the tweeter at the top of the door.

This will improve the quality in what your ears can hear, but will make the sound sound like it's coming over your dashboard.

If you are considering fitting rear speakers, but not too fussed about the quality or rear passengers  :lol:  then fit some mid range speakers in the rear.

What this will do, is to give the rear of your car a "fill in sound" but not to take away the sound you have at the front of your car. It's a but like surround sound in rear, you can hear it but it's not takng the main music from the front.

That answers a lot of my questions :D

Right, think ill get some component Speakers in the front and some mid range in the rear, would it still sound allright with Full range in the rear or would that make it sound different?

Cheers

Having full range Speakers in the rear, is not a prob, just that all the sound from the tweeters will be everywhere, rather than at the front of the car, but some people like it like that, i find it annoying myself.

Besides, i think the cost of a set of full range Speakers and a set of Mid Range Speakers would be about the same price, just depends on what you want to do.

Hope that helps

Bing

Having full range speakers in the rear, is not a prob, just that all the sound from the tweeters will be everywhere, rather than at the front of the car, but some people like it like that, i find it annoying myself.

Besides, i think the cost of a set of full range speakers and a set of Mid Range speakers would be about the same price, just depends on what you want to do.

Hope that helps

Bing

Thanks very much for your help Bing :thumbsup:

I'll see what Speakers are about and see what happens :lol:

Any makes of speaker i should steer clear of? :bookworm:

Mike