Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Problem

IrishFrank

Hi, Having a problem with the steering of my 02 yaris, it is not centring when small amounts of lock are applied. The tracking has been checked and new tyres have been fitted (Goodyears the same as came with it). I have been told that the electric power steering can lose its centre but cannot confirm this. The car has not been crashed and has 34k miles on it. Has anyone any ideas.

Thanks

MINE is turned slight right when im going straight

so is mine

well, mine is not centered either. A mechanic friend of mine told me that is some kind of assembly problem, and many yaris have it, a friend of mine also has that problem, and toyota service tried to solve it but it's just the same :P

it's something u get used to :lol:

when they do the tracking they shoud center the wheel then adjust the wheels, i'd get it done else where. are you sure its not the camber of the road? cars will usually pull to the left because of the camber.

Hi, Having a problem with the steering of my 02 yaris, it is not centring when small amounts of lock are applied. The tracking has been checked and new tyres have been fitted (Goodyears the same as came with it). I have been told that the electric power steering can lose its centre but cannot confirm this. The car has not been crashed and has 34k miles on it. Has anyone any ideas.

Thanks

so is mine

well, mine is not centered either. A mechanic friend of mine told me that is some kind of assembly problem, and many yaris have it, a friend of mine also has that problem, and toyota service tried to solve it but it's just the same :P

it's something u get used to  :lol:

All 4 of you.. get your tracking checked useing a laser aligner.. if your car has been lowered, then the standard tracking settings will be of no use, in this case, get a geometric check done.

The steering wheel being off centre is a sign that the tracking is out.. the toe settings may well be ok, and the tyres won't scrub.. but the centre line of the car will be out.. this will make the car "crab" along the road. (ever sat behind someone who's car appears to be going a little sideways down the road???.. thats "crabbing".. just so you know)

Mine's okay, but #2 (its predecessor, built Jan/Feb 2004 in Japan) had this problem right from the day I collected it.

I got Mr T to check it (which made a very slight improvement) but it was never quite right despite me constantly checking tyre pressures and the like. I really pee'd me off something rotten.

Good Luck folks...

Alan

mine goin in tomorrow to have its trackin checked for the 5th time this year :ffs: got checked when lowered and they told me to go back for it to be checked 2 weeks later. still pullin to the !Removed! left. so goin somewhere else to get it done.

Sure it's not just pulling to the left because the of the road camber?

Camber is there for two reasons...water run off...and so you end up in the ditch if you fall asleep rather than head to the on coming traffic.

My Steering wheel was off centre too..they just never stuck it on right...took wheel off...moved it around...re-attached...tightened up. job done.

Vipes

yeap mine does the same aswell. if i have the wheel dead centre it goes off to the left. had it looked at a T and tried to charge me £70 even though it was under the 3 years. it was no different either.

Remember.. if the suspension has been changed for aftermarket parts.. the Toyota tracking settings won't work.. they are for the standard suspension set up. You will need to get a Geometric Check, this will set the car up the way it should be. It will even detect if the chassis or axle is bent.

mine seems to be fine, plus slightly to the left at speeds above 50mph, but i think that has something to do with the camber of the road too.

I've never noticed this problem on either Yarii that I have had, if the Blue does it then it's so small I don't notice it.

well i was on the motorway tonight and i just let go of the wheel for a second at drifted to the left pretty sharp

could also be the pads not throwing clear and catching slightly.

but..all cars should pull to the left..if they don't they are dangerous.

Vipes