Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav-4 Cd Stereo (mk 1)

RichardR

Our newly purchased RAV (2000 Mk1 model) is fitted with a Toyota 58408 radio/cassette player, and I'd like to understand the options for fitting a CD player/changer to work with this unit.

After a bit of digging around, it would appear that an Alpine CHM-S630 should work with the head unit, but can anyone confirm this or let me know of any other units that have successfully been used with the 58408. I thought that the head unit had a bit of a Pioneer look about it and was therefore hoping that I might be able to use my existing Pioneer CD changer unit, but I've not found any information to support this hope. Can anyone also confirm whether there is existing CD changer wiring running to the boot by any chance, and I know that some manufacturers take this approach.

An alternative would be to consider the Toyota single-slot CD player that fits in the lower section of the dash, as shown in the handbook, and I was wondering whether anyone might be able to tell me the model number of this unit?

The final option would be to remove the Toyota head unit and replace it with a Pioneer head unit and CD changer that I already own. On that basis, can anyone confirm whether the existing radio is easy to remove and whether it uses standard ISO connections?

Thanks, in anticipation,

Richard

Hi Richard, first off welcome to the Rav4 section of the TOC :thumbsup:

As far as Radio/CD's go, i have a few toyota brochures listing options for the generation 1 Rav, but i think they maybe too old for your car, the 1996 listing has a single CD player as model number 34224, they also did list the Sony CDX-4100RDS as a CD/Radio option.... :( , by far the best option (in my opinion), is to get an aftermarket cd/radio to fit in the space were your current radio/cas sits.

Most car audio shops, do conversion leads to your original wiring plug, so no wires to cut :) , even Halfords is an option, just so long as you have an idea of what you want :yes: : .

Hi Richard, first off welcome to the Rav4 section of the TOC :thumbsup:

As far as Radio/CD's go, i have a few toyota brochures listing options for the generation 1 Rav, but i think they maybe too old for your car, the 1996 listing  has a single CD player as model number 34224, they also did list the Sony CDX-4100RDS as a CD/Radio option.... :( , by far the best option (in my opinion), is to get an aftermarket cd/radio to fit in the space were your current radio/cas sits. 

Most car audio shops, do conversion leads to your original wiring plug, so no wires to cut :) , even Halfords is an option, just so long as you have an idea of what you want  :yes: : .

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I think you're probably right about going down the aftermarket route as I do have a Pioneer head unit and CD changer combo that I could fit, but I thought I'd explore any options with the existing kit first.

I found a Toyota 34224 listed on eBay and I think it's the wrong model for the 2000 RAV-4 as it has its own display whereas the one in the handbook has no display since it's all controlled by the head unit.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

The only thing to check with fitting an aftermarket headunit is wether it's got "Japanese" mounting holes. In the mark 1, they are mounted behind the dash in a bracket. Some stereos have the holes already in them, my Alpine unit does so it was a breeze to fit.

As Bob mentioned, you will only need an ISO to Toyota adapter lead. I have an existing stereo and disk changer set up out of mine, but you live a bit far away really.

To get to the stereo to have a look, all ya gotta do is locate the black facia that goes around it, and if you look underneath there are two screws. Remove these and the facia will just hinge off then. Behind this you will see the two mounting brackets i'm on about.

If you need any more advice just ask!

Thanks for all the information Stuart. The 'spare' unit that I have is a Pioneer one that just fits into a standard DIN-D aperture, so I think I'll have to take a closer look at the RAV fittings.

Is the 'existing stereo and disk changer setup' that you mentioned an original Toyota one? If so, do you happen the have the model numbers for the both units as these would help me do a bit more detective work? If applicable, could you also tell me where the CD changer was fitted as it'd be good to find a location that wouldn't interfere with the main area of the boot?

Will have a look at the model numbers for you when I get chance.

The disk changer is mounted under the passenger seat, attached to the seat itself.

:thumbsup:

Will have a look at the model numbers for you when I get chance.
Thanks. :)
The disk changer is mounted under the passenger seat, attached to the seat itself.

Interesting! <_< Could be a challenge trying to mount an aftermarket one that way!

Hi, i just thought id add to this discussion, i have a japanese import mk1, i fitted my existing kenwoodmask system in the rav quite easily, the only problem i had was that the previous owners had cut off the iso connectors and all that was left was a bundle of wires :ffs: , so i simply went to the local halfrauds and purchased an iso connector with open wires on it, checked the wiring, soldered the iso on and bob was your uncle......fitted my kenwood and was very pleased with mysef!! i have also upgraded all the Speakers so am now happy B)

Andrea, what Speakers did you use to upgrade. Would you choose any others in hindsight. Its just I am keen to upgrade to ICE but want to make sure I get it right first time.

Cheers

Paul

Andrea, what speakers did you use to upgrade. Would you choose any others in hindsight. Its just I am keen to upgrade to ICE but want to make sure I get it right first time.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul, in the front i have Db Audio raptors and in the rear i have JBL, both are good, but the Raptors have a better bass than the JBLs. I likes my tunes :eek: !!

If i recall both front and rear are 6 1/2 inch, back went straight in, front aready had some adapter plates on. Also used Dynamat, and it is so well worth the investment, you get a clearer, deeper sound.

Hope that info helps

Andi

I'll be changin my Speakers soon too.

But i'll be moving the rear ones to the rear doors. Speakers fitted in doors always sound good. The rear ones on mine are down in the boot for some reason. However, the three door ones are higher up arent they?