Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Men Are More Intelligent Than Women

Fidgits

Times Article below

Is this a clever thing to say about women's IQ?

By Tony Halpin, Education Editor

HALF the population will dismiss this story, but a study claims that the cleverest people are much more likely to be men than women.

Men are more intelligent than women by about five IQ points on average, making them better suited for “tasks of high complexity”, according to the authors of a paper due to be published in the British Journal of Psychology.

Genetic differences in intelligence between the sexes helped to explain why many more men than women won Nobel Prizes or became chess grandmasters, the study by Paul Irwing and Professor Richard Lynn concluded.

They showed that men outnumbered women in increasing numbers as intelligence levels rise. There were twice as many with IQ scores of 125, a level typical for people with first-class degrees.

When scores rose to 155, a level associated with genius, there were 5.5 men for every woman.

Dr Irwing, a senior lecturer in organisational psychology at Manchester University, said that he was uncomfortable with the findings. But he added that the evidence was clear despite the insistence of many academics that there were “no meaningful s*x differences” in levels of intelligence.

“For personal reasons I would like to believe that men and women are equal, and broadly that’s true. But over a period of time the evidence in favour of biological factors has become stronger and stronger,” he said.

“I have been dragged in a direction that I don’t particularly like, but it would be sensible if the debate was based on what we pretty much know to be the case.”

The findings from the study involving 24,000 students will intensify a battle of the sexes that was triggered last week by Michael Buerk, the BBC newscaster, who complained that “life is now being lived according to women’s rules”. He said that men had been reduced to little more than sperm-donors because of the female domin- ance of society.

Professor Lynn, a Professor Emeritus of Psychology at the University of Ulster, is no stranger to inflammatory conclusions as the author of a number of publications arguing that there are differences in intelligence between racial groups.

He published a controversial study in 2003 that identified a clear correlation between the levels of prosperity in 60 countries and the average IQ of their populations.

Professor Lynn argued in a letter to The Psychologist this month that the differences between the sexes were explained by a link between IQ and brain size. He said: “Men have larger brains than women by about 10 per cent and larger brains confer greater brain power, so men must necessarily be on average more intelligent than women.”

A very interesting article...

I also read somewhere once that men and women tended to have different kinds of intelligence.

For example, on the whole men tend to be more spacially aware than women, but women tend to be more temporally aware... obviously it doesnt apply to everyone, but can be used as a general blanket.

It would be interesting if they broke the facts down further, were they just measuring in IQ? which isnt the be all and end all of intelligence.

Also what about different age groups, are there differences there too? Do men overtake girls in IQ intelligence at a particular age, or is it a consistant thing?

Discuss....

;)

Sadly enough - its true.

A mans brain is more able to deal with complex problems, where as a womans brain is more tuned to the emotionals.

I wouldnt say it makes men more intelligent though - each sex is intelligent in its own way - its just a headline to stir up interest!

A very interesting article...

I also read somewhere once that men and women tended to have different kinds of intelligence.

For example, on the whole men tend to be more spacially aware than women, but women tend to be more temporally aware... obviously it doesnt apply to everyone, but can be used as a general blanket.

It would be interesting if they broke the facts down further, were they just measuring in IQ? which isnt the be all and end all of intelligence.

Also what about different age groups, are there differences there too? Do men overtake girls in IQ intelligence at a particular age, or is it a consistant thing?

Discuss....

;)

Actually, what you say is correct...

It also goes back to the Michael Buerke article - because back in the days of the O-levels, boys used to get better results than girls...

This was because boys proved to be better suited to written exams, for both the mental aptitude as well as the stress.

So they adpated them into the GCSE's to incorporate coursework, which put the balance over to the women, who are better at vocational type assesment...

so girls started to do better than boys - but unfortunatly (beurkes point) it went too far as now they have multiple choice on exams, which again suits the female brain more than the male...

Sadly enough - its true.

A mans brain is more able to deal with complex problems, where as a womans brain is more tuned to the emotionals.

I wouldnt say it makes men more intelligent though - each s*x is intelligent in its own way - its just a headline to stir up interest!

I too have heard and read that the woman's brain is better suited to emotional ways of thinking etc... this can both be a hinderance and a help in life.. much as I suppose a more analytical approach that men have :P

I guess its why girls have 'girly friends' and bloke have 'the lads' :P

Multiple guess exams arent a good test of knowledge imho... for if you do well.. then it can be said you researched etc.... but also you could be lucky....

But I do find myself better suited to coursework tpye assessment than written exams... it is indeed true there.

I would say a good 'all round' person would be good at complex problems and tackling emotional ones... but whereas some people can be good at both... I dont think we have found the optimum yet :P

my opinion - for 10,000 years the human race has had distinct roles for men and women...

and for all the equal opportunities and do-gooders, 10 years of trying to pretend these differences dont exist isnt going to have an impact on the way we have evolved!

Women do have the additional hinderance of not being able to focus on a specific task if there's a sale on nearby !

my opinion - for 10,000 years the human race has had distinct roles for men and women...

and for all the equal opportunities and do-gooders, 10 years of trying to pretend these differences dont exist isnt going to have an impact on the way we have evolved!

Which as you know, is also my opinion!

Humans have evolved, but their brains havent - we are still programmed the same now than we were 500 years ago!