Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Oil

bhinderharminder

Hi,

i need to change the engine oil in my corolla, but i dont know if i should use Fully synthetic or Semi synthetic.

It's a 2002 1.6 e12 'rolla, with 17k on the clock.

Thanks

I think a lot of the dealers use 10w40 Shell Helix Plus, which I think is semi synth but I'm not sure. From what I remember, with a young engine you can usually get away with moving to fully synthetic oil without increasing oil burning, and hopefully providing better protection and fuel consumption.

I think a lot of the dealers use 10w40 Shell Helix Plus, which I think is semi synth but I'm not sure. From what I remember, with a young engine you can usually get away with moving to fully synthetic oil without increasing oil burning, and hopefully providing better protection and fuel consumption.

you should use 5w-30

toyota dealers do use 10w 40 i did raise the issue of the manual stating 5w 30 the service managers answer was the climate of the uk does not warrent oil that thin. Has for brand i was told if i need to top up buy Castrol or Mobil 1 myself i use 10w 40 magnatec.

or, if like my local dealer they were/are crap they could have just said that cause they either had none in or couldn't be ubikd!

:thumbsup: many a times i was fed bull-**** from my local dealer!

or, if like my local dealer they were/are crap they could have just said that cause they either had none in or couldn't be ubikd!

:thumbsup: many a times i was fed bull-**** from my local dealer!

well the cars still got a toyota manufactures warrenty on it i took it out for another year in august but lookin through the service history invoices the car was from gordon lamb sheffield and they put 10w 40 oil in the car and my local dealer has continued. I did ask them to print on the bottom of my last service invoice customer raising issue with 10w 40 oil being used, so any damage and i have trouble claiming off my warrenty i will be sending all my invoice to toyota GB with a copy of the users manual which tells you the type of oil to use ie. 5w 30

I think if i need to calim i've got them stiched right up.

have a look at the engine oil bible and its an interesting read i have been told that 5w30 gives more mpg and helps with tappet slap from a cold start ;) ;)

have a look at the engine oil bible and its an interesting read i have been told that 5w30 gives more mpg and helps with tappet slap from a cold start  ;)  ;)

I too have read that i thinks its probly to do with the oil being thinner getting around the engine faster and less resistance hence more mpg, could be barkin up the wrong tree but logic wise it would make sence.

Hi,

i need to change the engine oil in my corolla, but i dont know if i should use Fully synthetic or Semi synthetic.

It's a 2002 1.6 e12 'rolla, with 17k on the clock.

Thanks

will it be safe for me to use fully synthetic as my engine is still new-ish and has low milage or should i stick with semi synth. untill i do a few more miles?

will it be safe for me to use fully synthetic as my engine is still new-ish and has low milage or should i stick with semi synth. untill i do a few more miles?

Yes, switch to full synthetic. Don't even give it a second thought! :thumbsup:

,Aug 31 2005, 01:23 AM]you should use 5w30, is recomended by toyota.

I mentoned that to my toyota dealer but they dont seem to botherd they assure me 10w 40 is fine see one of my previous post for why 10w 40 is fine.