Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Burning Clutch

blueeyes247

:help: can u corolla t sport owners please tell me if any of you have had any problems with a smelly clutch? i have a 2004, 6000miles corolla t sport and toyota are giving me conflicting info. one dealer said it is normal and another one is telling me its a well known fault; and a new clutch plate is needed.every time time i reverse up my drive do i get a burning smell. My carina e (bless it) ran 80000miles with no problem.plz help....

:help:  can u corolla t sport owners please tell me if any of you have had any problems with a smelly clutch? i have a 2004, 6000miles corolla t sport  and  toyota are giving me conflicting info. one dealer said it is normal and another one is telling me its a well known fault; and a new clutch plate is needed.every time time i reverse up my drive do i get a burning smell. My carina e (bless it) ran 80000miles with no problem.plz help....

Fairly normal of Corolla & Celica at about 6k

Toyota are aware of it and suggest replacing if customer complaint severe but its a like for like part and chances are 6k miles down the line it will be back

Upon removal there is no evidence of any problems with the plate

:help:  can u corolla t sport owners please tell me if any of you have had any problems with a smelly clutch? i have a 2004, 6000miles corolla t sport  and  toyota are giving me conflicting info. one dealer said it is normal and another one is telling me its a well known fault; and a new clutch plate is needed.every time time i reverse up my drive do i get a burning smell. My carina e (bless it) ran 80000miles with no problem.plz help....

Toyota are aware of it and suggest replacing if customer complaint severe but its a like for like part and chances are 6k miles down the line it will be back

i have now been told by toyota that the clutch is made from fish bones not aspestoes ,are they taking the ps!!!!!!!!! hence the smell..

good possibility i suppose, i know asbestos is a no no when it comes to making stuff now, but fish bones? might be pulling your chain

From what i've heard the t-sport is known for it, it is a common fault with the clutch there are a few other faults like a slighty noisey gearbox this too seems to be a common problem. I'm sure i've seen on hear a few people who have t-sport corolla's have the smelly clutch fingers crossed a few t-sport owners may give you some advice.

Hi

I can sometimes smell the clutch on my T Sport if it's slipped a bit too much (like pulling away too sharp). But it has never done it in normal conditions in reverse.

I know if I mentioned it to my local dealer (no names mentioned) they would deny all knowledge (they don't know much really :ffs: ).

Pb

:wacko:

hi,

ive got an 03 cts. ive had new clutch at 16k on mine. covered by warranty, due to rattling and burning. done nearly 20k now, no burning or noises as yet , but tend to get lost in the gears when changing down at the moment. the clutch feels a bit soft to what it did when replaced. if you get it replaced it will be great for 2k miles or so.. my car has suffered from all the other common faults too.

get your dealer to sort it for you, its a pain but your cts will more than likely have to go back for other faults too!!! :(

:thumbsup: bert

From what i've heard the t-sport is known for it, it is a common fault with the clutch there are a few other faults like a slighty noisey gearbox this too seems to be a common problem. I'm sure i've seen on hear a few people who have t-sport corolla's have the smelly clutch fingers crossed a few t-sport owners may give you some advice.

:thumbsup: thanx for yor replies, its off to the dealers ,ill post thier response...

Mine smells if I over-rev on the clutch and I used to get the grinding noise from the transmission if I was in a low gear. I've changed the way I drive to reduce the chance of this happening though.

While I was getting my car serviced a couple of weeks ago I overheard another customer complaining to the reception staff about how badly the clutch on his Celica T-Sport smelled if he tried doing a hill start so it's not just the Corolla that has this problem.

Hmmm, fish bones? :rolleyes:

I've always assumed that the problem is due to the fact that all Corolla models are fitted with the same standard clutch assembly which can't cope properly with the output of the 1.8VVTLi. Changing the clutch for another standard one won't fix the problem permanently, it'll come back eventually.

Sorry if the question is silly - are you sure it is clutch that smells? Toyota three-way catalyst converter is known for sulfur-like smell if there is too much sulfur in the petrol. This is the common and wide-spread issue for sulfur-rich petrol countries (such as Russia), especially for driving in reverse direction.

The corolla T-sport and Celica 190 both share the same drive train (engine, clutch, gearbox) so a problem on one is likely (although not guaranteed) to occur on the other.

Also not a standard clutch arrangement on all corolla's

hiya

i bought an 03 CTS, 24k miles. noticed the smell when trying to say manouvere into a tight uphill parking space. complained - no hassles - got new clutch fitted - havent noticed it yet since.

hope this is helpful

Hi There,

Have had my clutch changed due to burning smell. It has made it better but you just catch a wiff on this one serious hill start I have to do. Since new the gear change has been notchy and in a rush to change at 8200 you can sometimes miss. This was just the same as my work mates celica with a 6spd box. so was it the box? Since the clutch change the bitting point is in its proper place and the box is as sweet as a nut. It's like having a different car. The old bitting point was in the middle of the travel and I found that if you depressed the clutch pedal all the way the pressure plate would drag and cause the gears to baulk(grind, notchy). I have checked and it is the same car!!!!!

One happy customer anyway, sort of.

Hi There,

Have had my clutch changed due to burning smell. It has made it better but you just catch a wiff on this one serious hill start I have to do. Since new the gear change has been notchy and in a rush to change at 8200 you can sometimes miss. This was just the same as my work mates celica with a 6spd box. so was it the box?  Since the clutch change the bitting point is in its proper place and the box is as sweet as a nut. It's like having a different car. The old bitting point was in the middle of the travel and I found that if you depressed the clutch pedal all the way the pressure plate would drag and cause the gears to baulk(grind, notchy). I have checked and it is the same car!!!!!

thanx , for your response ,my toyota told me its normal for my clutch to smell!!!!! i need to find one dealer who will take my complaint in hand.

Hi There,

Have had my clutch changed due to burning smell. It has made it better but you just catch a wiff on this one serious hill start I have to do. Since new the gear change has been notchy and in a rush to change at 8200 you can sometimes miss. This was just the same as my work mates celica with a 6spd box. so was it the box?  Since the clutch change the bitting point is in its proper place and the box is as sweet as a nut. It's like having a different car. The old bitting point was in the middle of the travel and I found that if you depressed the clutch pedal all the way the pressure plate would drag and cause the gears to baulk(grind, notchy). I have checked and it is the same car!!!!!

thanx , for your response ,my toyota dealer told me its normal for my clutch to smell!!!!! i need to find one dealer who will take my complaint in hand.