Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Courtesy Light Mod

stay_aliveuk

I just noticed last night after parking up in the dark that you have to open a door before the courtesy light comes on. A little naf I thought, particularly in the winter when its cold. I have built a unit that basically switches on the courtesy light as if the door had been opened and then closed thus illuminating the light as soon as the ignition is switched off completely, ie position 0. The unit is fully built and tested on the bench but needs fitting in the car, afterwhich I will observe it for a couple of weeks or perhaps a month before releasing any further details on the forum. However, and it is somewhat a big however I have just noticed that with the courtesy light on and me sitting in the drivers seat and can’t actually see the interior door release handle because I actually block the light, so I may add a discrete and subtle orange LED to gently illuminate the recess where you fingers go connected to the interior light circuit?

I will update this thread in due course.

sounds like a good idea!!! one thing i would like to do is to be able to listen to my radio without having to have the keys in the ignition. If I am working outside, or on my car it is a security risk to have the keys in the ignition!

any ideas?

sounds like a good idea!!!  one thing i would like to do is to be able to listen to my radio without having to have the keys in the ignition. If I am working outside, or on my car it is a security risk to have the keys in the ignition!

any ideas?

I have a new RAV4 and am sure that I read in the manual the procedure to do this, but confess I haven't followed it up.

My Ford (Puma) allowed you to turned the radio on at it auto-shut-off after 1 hour.

It would also be a nice idea if the clock could be constantly displayed.

I have just had a look through the manual and can't find anywhere about the radio being programmed to stay on after the ignition has been turned off.

The easiest way to do this would be to disconnect the ignition controlled live (grey/white cable) to the back of the radio with a switched permanent live, via a fuse. You could make a feature of the switch by mounting it in one the blank switch covers? You must note, however, that this method would require that you manually switch off the radio each time you leave the car!

However, a more professional approach would be to fit a custom made timer unit which kept the ignition supply (ACC as Toyota describe it) live for a set period after the keys have been removed. This would also allow the drivers door auto window lift feature to remain operative for this set period. Another 'quality' feature i feel Toyota have overlooked.

Let me know if the second option is something you may well be interested in and I will look into it a little further.

...However, a more professional approach would be to fit a custom made timer unit which kept the ignition supply (ACC as Toyota describe it) live for a set period after the keys have been removed. This would also allow the drivers door auto window lift feature to remain operative for this set period. Another 'quality' feature i feel Toyota have overlooked...

On our 2001 RAV4 gx the electric windows and sunroof still remain operational when the key is out of the ignition (as long as no-one opens a door)

I like the idea that the stereo times out after an hour or so, thats how my Focus used to work.

Without a detailed pinout diagram of the connector blocks I am struggling to find which is the ignition feed.

As I have found when "playing" with the lighting circuits in the car, the switches are all on the negative side of the unit and not as you expect on the positive side. So I might be wrong, but I suspect that the ignition feed is actually a negative feed and not positive!?!?

Anyone know any different?

Ignition feed will be a positive.

The lighting circuit uses negative ground switching because of the door switches etc switching the cable straight to earth.

Ignition feed will be a positive.

The lighting circuit uses negative ground switching because of the door switches etc switching the cable straight to earth.

Even the headlights are switched on the negative circuit!! the fusebox is under the bonnet for the headlights, and supplies permanent positive feed to the bulbs, then 2 switched negatives go to the respective dipped and main beam terminals of the bulb.

I have just had a look through the manual and can't find anywhere about the radio being programmed to stay on after the ignition has been turned off.

Yep, you're quite right - I must have been dreaming :(

I've managed to get the unit fitted in the car tonight and it is working great.

The job took about an hour but that was because I was searching for the correct wires to connect into. Now that i know where the wires are I would guess the job should take about thirty to forty minutes tops (this is assuming all connections are soldered and not made using 'scotchlock' type connectors).

If anyone is interested I will look to getting some PCB's made and then sell complete built and tested units with instructions on which wires to connect to and where to located the box. The cost of PCB's has always been dependant on quantity so the more that are interested they less everyone would pay. Working on a senario where there maybe only five or six of you people interested I should think I could do a complete unit for about £20 plus £1.00 for P+P.

I would like to keep my prototype on test for a little while longer before proceeding with any kind of manufacture but if you are interested post your interest here and I will get in touch in due course.

Cheers

Paul

I've managed to get the unit fitted in the car tonight and it is working great.

The job took about an hour but that was because I was searching for the correct wires to connect into. Now that i know where the wires are I would guess the job should take about thirty to forty minutes tops (this is assuming all connections are soldered and not made using 'scotchlock' type connectors).

If anyone is interested I will look to getting some PCB's made and then sell complete built and tested units with instructions on which wires to connect to and where to located the box. The cost of PCB's has always been dependant on quantity so the more that are interested they less everyone would pay. Working on a senario where there maybe only five or six of you people interested I should think I could do a complete unit for about £20 plus £1.00 for P+P.

I would like to keep my prototype on test for a little while longer before proceeding with any kind of manufacture but if you are interested post your interest here and I will get in touch in due course.

Cheers

Paul

yeh, you can count me in Paul.

glad the wiring diagrams came in handy :)

Cheers,

Phil

just a thought - might be an idea to power the map lights above the rear view mirror to come on for 10-15 seconds when the ignition is turned off.

this light illuminates the drivers area much better than the door operated lights

a similar longer period time out would be good on the radio - yet again someting toyota should have included in a car in this price band :angry:

You used to be able to buy interior light delay units from the likes of Halfords (not seen any for a while, but then I haven't been looking).

Couldn't one of these units be used to achieve this "lights-on-for-a-while-after-engine-is-stopped" problem - and a bit cheaper than Paul's solution?

Running it off the map lights would be a great idea.

One further thought, don't the courtesy lights light up as soon as the key in turned to position I? If that was the case, all you may need to do when stopping the engine is clicking the key to I and back again??

just a thought - might be an idea to power the map lights above the rear view mirror to come on for 10-15 seconds when the ignition is turned off.

this light illuminates the drivers area much better than the door operated lights

a similar longer period time out would be good on the radio - yet again someting toyota should have included in a car in this price band :angry:

I have thought and investigated this idea since the map lights really do light the front area up well. However, because these lights are switched via a latching type of switch if you were to add a unit to work off the ignition and/or the door switches you would loose the ability to switch then manually when map reading for example. I personally don't want to loose this function.

What I am planning as a kind of a compromise is to add a couple of lamps in the footwell areas of both driver and passenger. I have found in other cars these are, firstly included on higher end models and secondly (and the reason for the first) is that they give a surprising 'warm welcome' to the car.

I will post a topic when i get some fitted in case anyone is interested.

I am working on a unit that will connect to the rear of the headunit that will allow the radio to remain on after the ignition keys have been removed. Watch this space and I will post something in due course.

Cheers

Paul

You used to be able to buy interior light delay units from the likes of Halfords (not seen any for a while, but then I haven't been looking).

Couldn't one of these units be used to achieve this "lights-on-for-a-while-after-engine-is-stopped" problem  - and a bit cheaper than Paul's solution? 

Running it off the map lights would be a great idea.

One further thought, don't the courtesy lights light up as soon as the key in turned to position I?  If that was the case, all you may need to do when stopping the engine is clicking the key to I and back again??

The add on 'courtesy lights delay' units you can buy don't work since they are meant for cars without this function at all and secondly if you did fit one they would interfere with the cars existing function since this is built into the ECU and can't be over-ridden.

As far as I am aware (or at least all the RAV's I have seen) don't switch the courtesy light on until you open the door. And this is an even cheaper way than buying any add-on. But me being soft and thinking about the bitterly cold nights when I pull up to my destination i would rather gather my belongs in the light without opening any doors. No seriously, I have just found this to be a canny idea that other manufacturers have incorporated on their cars that some of you may like to have on yours.

Look out for my new topic on installing heat seats kits to your RAV....coming soon!

I have been thinking about the idea of using the map lights as couresy lights. At first, as I wrote above, I thought this would remove the independant use of these lights but after a bit of thought you could wire a unit in parallel to the switch therefore giving what is desired.

Two thought however, firstly you would need to get a switched supply upto the lights. Not as easy as it sounds and I dont think it can be taken straight from the existing courtesy light because the wires feeding it run to one side in a metal chanel! I will look into this further though.

Secondly, no doubt any add on unit would time out different to the cars existing timer thus making it a little tacky, don't you think. I do try a make sure any mods I do on my cars blend in with whats already there sometimes at a compromise. But i think it is worth it people can't tell if it is original or not.

On mine, the electric windows stay active for a while after the ignition has been turned off, so that and the feed from the ignition key out position plus two relays, will give me exactly what has been achieved with the other method.

If I can be bothered with doing it, i'll definately post a how to.

• 1 month later...

Paul,

Did you have any luck with the footwell lights mod?.... I had these on my old motor and miss em on the rav.

• 3 weeks later...
Paul,

Did you have any luck with the footwell lights mod?.... I had these on my old motor and miss em on the rav.

Hi mate, sorry for the delayed reply. Yes I got some footwell lamps fitted. After a bit of experimenting I fitted a couple of amber MES lampholders which I got from RS Components. It gives the footwell a really nice soft amber glow when entering and leaving the car. A good mod I feel.

I am planning (weather dependant) on fitting an amber lamp to illimunate the cup-holder area in front of the gear stick this weekend. Again, I have already experimented and found that a 6W 12Vbulb dimmed down with a 15 ohm resistor is just right. This mod works for me for two reasons, firstly to illuminate the after-market seat heater switches I fitted and secondly for the classy feel it gives at night to the car.

I have tried taking pictures but they don't show it up well, however, I can take some of the lamps in place if anyone is interested.

Paul,

Hi mate, sorry for the delayed reply. Yes I got some footwell lamps fitted. After a bit of experimenting I fitted a couple of amber MES lampholders which I got from RS Components. It gives the footwell a really nice soft amber glow when entering and leaving the car. A good mod I feel.

I am planning (weather dependant) on fitting an amber lamp to illimunate the cup-holder area in front of the gear stick this weekend. Again, I have already experimented and found that a 6W 12Vbulb dimmed down with a 15 ohm resistor is just right. This mod works for me for two reasons, firstly to illuminate the after-market seat heater switches I fitted and secondly for the classy feel it gives at night to the car.

I have tried taking pictures but they don't show it up well, however, I can take some of the lamps in place if anyone is interested.

post them up would be interested as i have lost the use of the centre interia light having fitted the dvd player over it. The dvd player does have lights but these need to be switched on/off and do not operate via the door switchs.

• 2 months later...
Paul,

post them up would be interested as i have lost the use of the centre interia light having fitted the dvd player over it. The dvd player does have lights but these need to be switched on/off and do not operate via the door switchs.

stay_aliveUk Hi, i have just completed the boot light mod looks great, and have brought some lights for the footwell mod, where did you pick up the feed for these mate.

Cheers for the help

I've fitted 4 Red LED's from speeding.co.uk under the dash of our RAV 4, powered via a relay off of the ash tray supply so they come on when the sidlights are on, giving a really nice warm glow in the footwell at night - I'll be fitting some into the rear view mirror to shine down onto the gearstick area too.

Doing the interior lights to Map reading lights should be real easy, i'll give it a go but running a wire from the central interior light (switch side) to the map lights in the front should do, put this on the earth side of the map bulbs and jobs a good un?!

I've fitted 4 Red LED's from speeding.co.uk under the dash of our RAV 4, powered via a relay off of the ash tray supply so they come on when the sidlights are on, giving a really nice warm glow in the footwell at night - I'll be fitting some into the rear view mirror to shine down onto the gearstick area too.

Doing the interior lights to Map reading lights should be real easy, i'll give it a go but running a wire from the central interior light (switch side) to the map lights in the front should do, put this on the earth side of the map bulbs and jobs a good un?!

got any pics ?

:D

Paul,

stay_aliveUk Hi, i have just completed the boot light mod looks great, and have brought some lights for the footwell mod, where did you pick up the feed for these mate.

Cheers for the help

Hi mate, I picked the supply up from the light which illuminates the ignition key barrel. To get at it you need to remove the cowel around the steering wheel which is three screws and then pull the two halfs apart. Feed the cable back to behind the centre console to where the two lamps are to be fitted. No more than half an hours job feeding the cables properly.

Hope this helps