Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill Starts...

Ickle S

Howdy,

After graduating from uni and entering the "real world," I decided that as I commute to work everyday I needed a newer car, well, one that is better than my old unreliable Fiat Punto. I had fallen in love with the Yaris a few months before...

Anyway... It had taken me a while to get completely used to everything about my Punto (as I hadn't driven for 4 years before getting it). Now I have my Yaris, it is perfect for me.. small, nippy etc, but I am having trouble getting used to pulling off... (How rubbish do I sound?)

I've had it for nearly a week, and have been reading on this forum that the clutch only needs to be lifted a tiny bit to get to bite, so that's probably why the car kept juddering when I tried to pull off, I think I 'll be able to get used to the slight lifting of clutch and more force on accelerator, but when driving to work, I have a lot of hills, and get very scared when I have to do hilll starts, as I keep rolling backwards, revving loudly, and conking out :(

Has anyone got any advice for a new Yaris driver for controlling the clutch and accelerator for hill starts, as I'm still used to an old Punto's style of driving.

I also find it wierd that I can't hear the car when it's at bite, the other day I hadn't even realised I had conked out at traffic lights...

Am I stoopid? :crybaby:

no not stupid at all, getting used to a new car or even a new clutch in ur car is just one of those thigs which needs to be overcome, some take more time than others but thats nothing to worry about

not sure what i could say really its more about the feel of the car and the right combo of both feet, all i can suggest is just take her out everynite for an hour or so and drive her around ull soon get used to her :thumbsup: just do a lot of hill starts to practice when its quiet!! ooh and bare in mind the accelorator same as clutch doesnt go down very far compared with some cars so be gental with her and she wont scream :thumbsup:

( no funny jokes about my last comment people <_< )

When your on a slight hill try keeping your revs at just over 1000rpm. Slowly release the cluth until you see the revs drop slightly, and that will be your biting point. If you add a little bit more gas and keep it at just over 1000rpm at biting point you should be able to pull away easily.

Also be gentle with the clutch as its a nice smooth clutch on the Yaris unlike many other cars.

You'd think its great once you're accustommed to it i'm sure! :thumbsup:

When I was learning to drive (yes I know a long time ago now) I used to struggle with hill starts .... went on for ages.

Sooo my dad basically got me to floor the accelerator ( and I mean floor it) and then let the clutch up. Sounded awful - but it got me up the hill ... ever since then its been fine!

When I was learning to drive (yes I know a long time ago now) I used to struggle with hill starts .... went on for ages.

Sooo my dad basically got me to floor the accelerator ( and I mean floor it) and then let the clutch up.  Sounded awful - but it got me up the hill ... ever since then its been fine!

not so good when theres a copper around tho dont think he would apriciate u burning it up the hill

" honest i have trouble with hill starts, its the only way i can get up withought stalling"

Thank you for your fast replies! I think I'll take him out for a little drive now, somewhere quiet, and get my confidence up before I have to tackle the dreaded traffic lights on a hill in a few hours time :( I'll try the 1000rpm revving and see how it goes... I'm not sure how long it'll take for me to get used to it.

Thank you for your help :D

Sooo my dad basically got me to floor the accelerator ( and I mean floor it) and then let the clutch up.  Sounded awful - but it got me up the hill ... ever since then its been fine!

not so good when theres a copper around tho dont think he would apriciate u burning it up the hill

" honest i have trouble with hill starts, its the only way i can get up withought stalling"

Yeah I get even more scared when there's a big Audi or something behind me that I might roll into...

if in doubt take ur time, and u have two forms of brake to use, if u roll just put clutch back down and hit brake

perhaps when using handbrake find the bite ull notice as the car will dip slightly and judder as more power is put in hold it so it just dips slightly if u think ur on bite, remove handbrake, u should stay there depending on how steep the hill is

ooh and of course, welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

i still find it difficult - either shooting over the brow of the hill or going guns blazing and tyres spinning (yey flying gravel) what helped my confidence was lots of practice whilst queing for TOTB even though ut was on the flat just learning the clutch control helped loads

BTW are you a fellow 's' owner?

Yeah......it takes a while to get use to any car :thumbsup:

The clutch is the pain in the a :censor: e, but your get used to it! Expect a few crunches along the way too!

I tend to leave the handbrake on to the last minute, you will feel the car pull downwards kinda thing :wacko: ? Then I take off the handbrake and off I go :D !

Good choice at choosing a yaris - an welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Heyho, welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

Just get plenty of practice in, you'll get used to it! Are you sure you're in gear when pulling off 'cos if its screaming and your rolling back that doesn't sound right? :blink:

Hey! welcome to toc! Im having a few problems with my yaz, but im only learning to drive! Im having a similar problem to you but im starting to get better! It takes time! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club,

As mentioned bring the car to 1000rpm at hill starts and let the clutch up (with the handbrake on) untill you notice the bonnet start to rise and then release the handbrake.

It might be a good ida to go and pracice when you feel safer ie no cars around, because pressure really messed me up at times.

It took me a while to get used to the 1.3L petrol yarisfroma 2.0L diesel pug and even now I have trouble when I first get in from driving the vans at work.

u could just chuck urself in the deep end and find some huuuuge %$( of hill :lol: i did that, once i felt a little confident just kept going round in circles on a huge hill, worked a treat

Welcome to the club,

I also changed from a punto to a yaris, I find the yaris much better, plus toyota are much more reliable than fiat, in 4 months of driving the punto I must of spent over £500. The only good thing about the punto was the accellerator pedal, there was more spring in it so it made it easier for hill starts.

Hill starts were my nemesis when i was learning to drive! :(

But my driving instructor made me do as many as he could - i used to curse him for that! :D

but he did the right thing - the onyl way to get over your fear is to face it :)

And now they dont bother me at all :)

just practice, practice , practice :)

The way i conquered hill starts and the clutch in a new car is not to rely on the handbrake. In fact i hardly use it at all. That way it forces you to adjust to the car and get used to it quicker.

Some cars are easier than others, but you'd get there in the end.

:thumbsup:

Welcome to the club

I am having trouble getting used to pulling off...

Yeah, does take a bit of getting used to, getting the technique & speed right etc, I got the hang of it during my early teens

Sorry, I'll post a proper response when I get home from work