Do Not Sell My Personal Information

17" T-spirit Alloys

Norbreck21a

Hi all,

Need some advise.

I have a 12 month old T3-X 5 door with the standard 16" alloys running 205/55/16 Bridgestone rubber.

I've been offered a set (of 5) of the beautiful T-Spirit alloys (brand new) with new Dunlop rubber. My question is, a lot of people seem to be complaiing about road noise. Would there be a huge amount extra over my current 16" set up ?

Also, would this also impact on MPG.

I'm really not sure, they are stunning wheels and brand new, and cheap, but i'm just not sure......

Any help ?

Cheers

Andrew

If you are worried about road noise, with17" it will get much worse (I've done test drive with 17" and 16" and bought the car with 16"). Car would "stick" to the road a bit better. MPG? It will spend more

I swapped the 17" for 16" before getting a T Spirit in March because the previous one had been so noisy. The difference is very noticeable.

Maybe the 16" are a little less flash than the low profile 17" but unless you are really concerned about the looks I'd stick with the 16". :)

Whilst lower profile tyres are noiser than tyres with a higher profile, different tyres also determine the amount of road noise you get.

I have just replaced standard-fit Bridgestone Turnaza 205 55 16 tyres with Dunlop Sport 2000E 205 55 16.

Whilst there was some noise with the Turanzas, this does not appear to be the case with the Dunlops.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that the increased noise of the 17" wheels will be partly offset by the reduced noise from Dunlop Tyres.

I have a set of 18". they look the biz.turn up the radio and enjoy.

Trouble is you need one hand free all the time for when the ride rattles your teeth out.

:D

I have a T-Spirit with 17" Dunlop SP Sport 2000A tyres and, yes, the road noise is very intrusive, although the dry and wet handling is extremely good.

It does mention in the handbook that some additional road noise will be experienced with these 17" tyres.

I have recently tried an Avensis with 16 " tyres, and I thought the road noise was only marginally reduced.

Again, I think that changing from one make of tyre to another "quiet" tyre would only make, at best, a small improvement.

I notice that the rear wheel arches are made of a carpet type of material, perhaps in order to reduce the intrusion of road noise into the cabin. Whatever its for, it does not seem to be very sucessfull !

The irony is that the engine and other noise levels are so low that such road noise is made even more apparent.

To me, Toyota have a problem with the Avensis with regard to road noise, generally, and I have passed these comments to Toyota GB Consumer Services who have referred them to the Toyota Technical Department.

Whether anything will come from this in future model updates, I dont know. I am not very optimistic.

I drive mine (7 months old) on Bridgestone Turanza ER30 205/55-16 and here is my experience with road noise.

On my way to work, every day, I drive through various quality of road paviments.

1st one is about 5 km of brand new road. There is no noise at all on that one. That's the only part where I can hear the engine (radio off) and no road noise at all.

2nd part was covered with new paviment like 3 years ago. For me it's perfect. I here some road noise but only with radio off. If radio is on, at lowest level, no road noise again. Of all cars I've driven in my life (VW, Renault, Fiat...) this one would be the most quite.

3rd part was covered last year with that black liquid they usualy put when roads don't need new paviment but that are not in perfect shape. At that part of the road it's horrible. The only thing I hear is road noise. I even stopped once to see what the hell is it all about, and saw that paviment (that damn liquid) is like many little waves 2cm each, couple milimeters high, very dense. Before Avensis I've had VW Golf with exactely the same type of tyres and it had on that part of the road the same kind of noise, but on other parts Avensis is much more quiet.

This is just my experience. What is yours in brand new roads?

I have a T-Spirit with 17" Dunlop SP Sport 2000A tyres and, yes, the road noise is very intrusive, although the dry and wet handling is extremely good.

It does mention in the handbook that some additional road noise will be experienced with these 17" tyres.

I have recently tried an Avensis with 16 " tyres, and I thought the road noise was only marginally reduced.

Again, I think that changing from one make of tyre to another "quiet" tyre would only make, at best, a small improvement.

I notice that the rear wheel arches are made of a carpet type of material, perhaps in order to reduce the intrusion of road noise into the cabin. Whatever its for, it does not seem to be very sucessfull !

The irony is that the engine and other noise levels are so low that such road noise is made even more apparent.

To me, Toyota have a problem with the Avensis with regard to road noise, generally, and I have passed these comments to Toyota GB Consumer Services who have referred them to the Toyota Technical Department.

Whether anything will come from this in future model updates, I dont know. I am not very optimistic.

I found quite a noticeable improvement in noise level moving from 17" to 16" but there has been 2 years development between my 2 cars so perhaps that may be significant.

The ride quality of the 17" wheels was fine on smooth motorway surfaces but any sort of bumps or undulations made the ride very harsh. If the seats were not so well padded it would have been a real bum shaker. The steering feels easier too on 16".

Handling was barely affected by the smaller wheels, perhaps slightly more roll but otherwise fine. :D

Well guys, I've bitten the bullet and purchased a brand new set of 5 (five)T-Spirit 17" alloys with the Dunlops. All brand new, neve even beenon the road,

Hope I don't regret it :group-cuddles:

Well guys, I've bitten the bullet and purchased a brand new set of 5 (five)T-Spirit 17" alloys with the Dunlops. All brand new, neve even beenon the road,

Hope I don't regret it  :group-cuddles:

There is no better feeling but the full set of new tyres. Even feels better then new car, ehehehehe.

How many miles old ones had???

Keep us informed about new ones, please...

Good miles for you

seem's like there is alot of different opinion's.tyre size ,tyres makes,but a factor that needs to be taken into consideration,is the drivers age and there tolerence to noise.like music ! what we call loud might not be seen as loud at all, to others i.e(younger members of the public).Is this why they say the average age of the AVENSIS driver is 65. maybe thats why my car with 18" wheels and a 35mm lowering springs sounds and feels fine. I am 33 and maybe havent hit the " turn that racket down" stage yet.But this is only my opinion and do not wish to offend.And iam driven on a buget tyre.so maybe some tyres are quiter even if not the most expensive ones. Happy driving.

Liam,

Quite possibly. I'd like to think that I am still young enough as well at 42 !!!

I'll keep you all posted.

BTW, the "old" tyres and alloys have done 13,700 miles.

Andrew

I agree also, aged 45 and Pink floyd/Yes/Led Zepp drowns out the current rap crap as I pass the silly youth with his Pug 106 and go faster stripes.

I like my music loud! :thumbsup:

Liam,

Quite possibly. I'd like to think that I am still young enough as well at 42 !!!

I'll keep you all posted.

BTW, the "old" tyres and alloys have done 13,700 miles.

Andrew

BTW

Andrew

Would you be interested in parting with your old alloys?

I'm after one to replace the steel spare of my T3-x

as you know from our other thread...

(depending on the price your after of course)

Paul

seem's like there is alot of different opinion's.tyre size ,tyres makes,but a factor that needs to be taken into consideration,is the drivers age and there tolerence to noise.like music ! what we call loud might not be seen as loud at all, to others i.e(younger members of the public).Is this why they say the average age of the AVENSIS driver is 65. maybe thats why my car with 18" wheels and a 35mm lowering springs sounds and feels fine. I am 33 and maybe havent  hit the " turn that racket down" stage yet.But this is only my opinion and do not wish to offend.And iam driven on a buget tyre.so maybe some tyres are quiter even if not the most expensive ones. Happy driving.

You might have something there Liam but it depends as well how much you drive on your own. I like my music loud on my own but the tyre noise thing from the 17" alloys was a real pain if you were trying to have a conversation especially with someone in the back seat.

Peejay,

So sorry, If there's anyone I would sell my alloys to, it's the members fo this forum, however, my dad has a T2 and already had first dabs on them.

very sorry

Andrew

Something I've just thought of.

My existing tyres were 205/55/16 and the new ones will be 215/45/17.

Will there be any difference in the rolling diameter. i.e. will the speedo still be accurate.

I'm not sure if Toyota makes any adjustments to the T4 and T-Spirits models when they fit 17's.

Anyone any idea ?

Cheers

Andrew

Peejay,

So sorry, If there's anyone I would sell my alloys to, it's the members fo this forum, however, my dad has a T2 and already had first dabs on them.

very sorry

Andrew

Dont worry!

Family should have first dabs! :thumbsup:

Ahhh... back to the search :D

Something I've just thought of.

My existing tyres were 205/55/16 and the new ones will be 215/45/17.

Will there be any difference in the rolling diameter. i.e. will the speedo still be accurate.

I'm not sure if Toyota makes any adjustments to the T4 and T-Spirits models when they fit 17's.

Anyone any idea ?

Cheers

Andrew

I asked this when I did the swap from 17" to 16" and the dealer (who is usually reliable on these things) said it didn't make any noticeable difference. The low profiles on the 17" made the overall circumference virtually the same as standard radials on the 16".

:)

seem's like there is alot of different opinion's.tyre size ,tyres makes,but a factor that needs to be taken into consideration,is the drivers age and there tolerence to noise.like music ! what we call loud might not be seen as loud at all, to others i.e(younger members of the public).Is this why they say the average age of the AVENSIS driver is 65. maybe thats why my car with 18" wheels and a 35mm lowering springs sounds and feels fine. I am 33 and maybe havent  hit the " turn that racket down" stage yet.But this is only my opinion and do not wish to offend.And iam driven on a buget tyre.so maybe some tyres are quiter even if not the most expensive ones. Happy driving.

You might have something there Liam but it depends as well how much you drive on your own. I like my music loud on my own but the tyre noise thing from the 17" alloys was a real pain if you were trying to have a conversation especially with someone in the back seat.

This could be the most major factor of them all, I have a three and a half year old in the back asking every 3 seconds are we there yet, so any other noise could be seen as music to my ears.Also had a t3s out on loan for two days.in a 5dr model, thought it was much noiser than mine,it could be the tyers or the hatch back. the plot thickens.

Mine is a hatch, and on the occasions when the stereo is off, I don't have any issues with road noise whatsoever. On holiday to and from Devon a coupla weeks back, wife and daughter dozed in car with no complaints. So I guess no real issues with 16" wheels from me.

This could be the most major factor of them all, I have a three and a half year old in the back asking every 3 seconds are we there yet, so any other noise could be seen as music to my ears.Also had a t3s out on loan for two days.in a 5dr model, thought it was much noiser than mine,it could be the tyers or the hatch back. the plot thickens.

Mine is a hatch but the noisy one was a saloon! There are so many variables for noises, including 3 year olds!

I have a set of 18". they look the biz.turn up the radio and enjoy.

Trouble is you need one hand free all the time for when the ride rattles your teeth out.

Either you have the worst roades overthere, or you are simply to picky about your rides.

My avensis has 18" alloys fitted with 225/40 Goodyear F1 GD3 and also lowered 30mm, TTE-springs. Took a testdrive in the 150hk 2.2 liter with standard wheels and can say, that there is no loss of comfort in my car compared to that.