Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Overheating Mr2!

Mikyola1

:help: Right were to start, the Mr2 Turbo ive got will barely do 2 mile and it starts to make a loud buzzing noise (sounds like when you wash ya windows with the washers), then steam will come poring out of the back. If i carry on driving the pressure gets that much that the chances are one of the hoses will pop off!! I have been without a thermostat for a while (since May) but this problem only started 2 month ago, it maybe the fact the problem has got worse the longer i have gone without one not sure but if anybody has any ideas?? cheers :thumbsup:

when engines runnin check that water is flowing, sounds like it could be a block in the pipes, check radiator cap is on securely as well, almost killed my old primera that way.

and just hope its not the pipes from hell, are you losing water?

heres a hint dont open the coolant cover when the engines hot, lol, made that mistake, mines was a leaking seal leading to the radiator and low coolant, take it into a toyota dealership and ask for a coolant check, the one i went to didnt even charge me!!!

when engines runnin check that water is flowing, sounds like it could be a block in the pipes, check radiator cap is on securely as well, almost killed my old primera that way.

and just hope its not the pipes from hell, are you losing water?

There is water leaking out, but only when the engine overheats, its fine otherwise. Any other ideas? cheers for the info will check in the morning.

:help: Right were to start, the Mr2 Turbo ive got will barely do 2 mile and it starts to make a loud buzzing noise (sounds like when you wash ya windows with the washers),  then steam will come poring out of the back.  If i carry on driving the pressure gets that much that the chances are one of the hoses will pop off!!  I have been without a thermostat for a while (since May) but this problem only started 2 month ago, it maybe the fact the problem has got worse the longer i have gone without one not sure but if anybody has any ideas?? cheers :thumbsup:

Broken water pump?????

i had this prob! ..... on the way to jae :P lol olny just made it. lol

with thanks to all that helped! :D X

anyways - mine was fact of no water and low oil i think. got it bled at jae by rouge systems( very nice young man there! :P )

and also had a new thermostat fitted when i got home :)

seems all sorted now :)

heres a hint dont open the coolant cover when the engines hot, lol,  made that mistake, mines was a leaking seal leading to the radiator and low coolant,  take it into a toyota dealership and ask for a coolant check, the one i went to didnt even charge me!!!

I've been to the toyota dealership they wont touch it coz its an import, dont ask why lol, prob coz they know they are a $%&^(*)I to do lol!! Cheers anyways!!

cant you take it to rouge systems for s coolant change, or get them to leak it or whateve rit is they do/did to mine ? :s

cant you take it to rouge systems for s coolant change, or get them to leak it or whateve rit is they do/did to mine ? :s

gonna book it in at envy performance in newcastle apparently there top notch, cheers anyways! :thumbsup:

i had this prob! ..... on the way to jae :P lol olny just made it. lol

with thanks to all that helped! :D X

anyways - mine was fact of no water and low oil i think. got it bled at jae by rouge systems( very nice young man there! :P )

and also had a new thermostat fitted when i got home :)

seems all sorted now :)

Please tell me there isn't a performance company called Rouge Systems! Rogue Systems would be a cool name, but Rouge Systems sounds a bit camp. :D

erm Toyota dealers wont touch imports? the toyota dealers i go to have done mine on several occasions now and are really cool. dealers ive used is rrg toyota in Bolton Northwest uk. They aint cheap tho >< that fo sure

Please tell me there isn't a performance company called Rouge Systems!  Rogue Systems would be a cool name, but Rouge Systems sounds a bit camp.  :D

:P to you!

I knew what i ment! <_<

I have a similar problem on my 2 at ther mo !

Every week i need to top up the coolant / water

otherwise she starts to overheat !

Im defo loosing water somewhere....but where ?? (please not pipes from hell !)

Would the rad blocker / hole blocker stuff be ok for a turbo ? does it even work.

As long as i keep ontop of topping her up, shes fine.

I would, check the water pump

keep an eye on your water levels (rad cap and overflow.....fill em both)

also, get a thermostat fitted!!..... no thermostat can casue hot spots in the engine, and make her take ages to warm up (if ever) so more fuel is used too !!

when you stop after a run, have a look under her...do you SEE any leaks.

I hae seen people have leaks, on the metal pipes.......

When the water warms up, the pipes expand to open a crack, and so they leak, but as they cool, the pipes shrink, and close the crack...so you cant always see it !!

Check for mayo in the water / oil.....possibly headgsket !!!!! :ffs:

stay away from rad weld! i used it when i had a hole in the PFH, it covered the hole but after a few miles it made the hole even bigger, if it is the pipes from hell you can bypass them altogether, just run new water pipes alongside your air con pipes under the car!

get the plastic covers off and have a god look for any water traces

Cheers Houston.

Yeah i have heard of someone bypassing those pipes, ill have to have a look at the weekend.

No rad weld for me then

Mine overheated today, same as Mikyola1. Buzzing noise and water coming out of the overflow tank. I've filled her up with hot water (cup of tea temp) and left her sitting there.

I swear I could hear it boiling once I stopped.

I wasn't ragging it either, just cruising down the M-way doing 65ish mph. Gave her a little gas coming of a round-a-bout lifted off and then a min later the buzzing started. I thought it was the fan for the intercooler, but it was the water.

Plus I haven't heard the rad fans at the front kicking in at all. Even when I stopped at home!! :ffs: :ffs: :ffs:

P.s What is this pipe from hell?? Where is it located???? How do you identify it???

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Guys, do you get any heat through your heaters...if not, its probably just your thermostats not opening properly.

Pipes from hell run between your floor, and the fuel tank,to the front og the car. a right b*tch to get to and change, i think it involves removing the fuel tank !

Do you have any mayo in ta water / oil systems ?

Didn't check the heater at the time. Will if it happens again tho.

I was just looking at the MR2 CD manual I have and saw the pics of the pipes from hell. Easy guess when looking at the pics. I have seen no water dripping anywhere under the car (apart from when the expansion tank was over flowing with water/steam).

I can't see any mayo in either system. If there was, that would suggest blown head gasket or a cracked block wouldn't it??

As I said above, the rad fans didn't seem to kick in either (from what I could hear).

I'm praying it's something like an air pocket at the mo, or at least something inexpensive. I'm going to flush the system at the weekend so I'll see if that sorts the prob out first as its the cheapest option.

Just out of curiosity, how far up is everyones temp gauge needle go when the engine is at normal running temp?? The temp gauge ranges from 7 o'clock to 11o'clock. Mine was running between 8 and 9 o'clock and maybe sometimes slightly over 9 (when in traffic) yesterday on a 60 mile drive. When it overheated today it went as high as 10, maybe a little over (if that makes sence). After filling her up with hot water and letting her cool down for 45 mins I went for a 10 mile drive. The needle sat back at 8-9 again and didn't go above 9 at all. When I parked up, I could hear what sounded like boiling water about 2-3 mins after turning the engine off, but nothing was coming out of the expansion tank!!!?!?!?!?

Mine sits at about 8-9 just below 9 all the time really !

Mine has overheated once before, and she went up to 10 ish.

I have a leak, as said, but i have to keep topping up water (about a pint a week) other wise i see the temp gauge creep up day by day !!)

Yes mayo would indicate cracked block / blown HG, the oil and water mixing !!

Sounds to me poss thermostat jamming, if the fans aint coming on then the water aint coming out the block to the sensor to switch them on, next time (if she does) over heat..check ya fans (inside the car) are they HOT. and put ya hand on the radiator, is that hot aswell or still cool?

Sounds to me poss thermostat jamming, if the fans aint coming on then the water aint coming out the block to the sensor to switch them on, next time (if she does) over heat..check ya fans (inside the car) are they HOT. and put ya hand on the radiator, is that hot aswell or still cool?

I'll check the heaters next time (hopefully there won't be a next time). :thumbsup:

Mine looks like it has 2 rads on it. I take it the one in the front is the oil cooler and the just behind is the rad??

Are thermostats expensive?? Where should I get one, a performance shop or Toyota??

Cheers :thumbsup:

A thermostat for my old fiesta was about £5

So they cant be that much.

Get a TRD one if you are modding, they open earlier, and keep the engine cooler !

TRD low temp ones are £47.50 + VAT at Fensport. Might shop around a bit first!!

Are they the same as in the GTI 3S-GE engine??

Right. Filled her up with water last night, but didn't drive it to work jsut to be on the safe side.

I went for a leisurely drive for a good 20 mins on the M-way after I got back from work (I let it warm up first while ticking over) and this is as high as the temp gauge went:

DSC01479.jpg

Is that as high as the gauge should go if all is well???

Could the boiling over have been caused by a lack of water at all??

Mine is a little lower than that under normal driving, but might rise to that when sitting still !

Try bleeding your water system, if you are still worried. Trapped air can cause over heating, and with the 2's complex system, might need doing !! :P

Check out : Bleeding a 2's water sys

1/3 - 1/2 temp is normal though really. :thumbsup:

If it was the HG, then she would just overheat all the time, no matter how much waters in her. :censor:

Do the fans blow hot when she is like that, or are they still cool ?, if they are cool then the TStat is not opening soon enough or properly.....worth checking.

The main issue is, if she keeps over heating (which it dont look like!!!) then you could warp the head / crack the block or something ! EXPENSIVE FIX !! :wacko:

Id just keep an eye on it !!!, but try bleeding the system (dont have to do a full drian, just a bleed) :thumbsup:

as yes low water could cause it to over heat !!m keep an eye on the levels too !! :thumbsup: