Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio Blues

the fixer

is there an easy way to enable the oem stereo in the RAV to stay on with the ignition key out.

i often leave the kids in the car whilst going for a message (they're always there when i come back :crybaby: )

every other !Removed! car on the market allows you to have the stereo on for an hour or so with the ignition removed - except the rav4 :censor:

hi fixer

others may contirbute... but only way i can think of doing it is gonna involve taking the stereo out and splitting the 'always on' wire to serve both the switched and non-switched power inputs. of course, this means you will have to remember to turn off your radio too

you probably thot of this though...

montee

hi fixer

others may contirbute... but only way i can think of doing it is gonna involve taking the stereo out and splitting the 'always on' wire to serve both the switched and non-switched power inputs. of course, this means you will have to remember to turn off your radio too

you probably thot of this though...

montee

cheers for that - that's what i figured. however i kindof hoped that the head unit could be 'enabled' in some way as i'm sure its used in other toyotas. maybe it can't be configured except in the way you say - in which case i'll leave well alone - ta anyway

• 2 weeks later...

you need to remove the factory head unit and take a gooood look and the wiring loom. since there is no way you can know the factory combination of the colors/meanings of the wires and their functions, my advice is to look for some service manual or any other tech advice about it. the whole trick is, that besides the 12v input fed into the head unit (this one is often called "Battery +") there is another wire called "ign", "ignition". that wire feeds the signal that allows you turn the head unit on. now, if you cut it, and connect it directly to the battery+ wire, the head unit will think it's always under ignition, and allow you to turn it on/off as you wish.

i've always had a setup like this, although i never had a factory stereo, so i have no idea what the wire loom is like on a rav4. anyways, my solid guess is that a trained service person in your local car hifi shop could do this in 10 mins, if he has info on the wire color coding.

just remember to turn it off! :thumbsup: