Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Window

jules7711

I own a 1999 toyota solara which I recently purchased 7 months ago. Recently, the window on the driver's side stopped working when I got in my car at work. It then worked the following morning. I noticed it affects the passenger's side window as well. Could it be a cause of the heat or something completely unrelated? I checked the fuses and the windows work at night or in the morning it seems. Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

justtooclever@yahoo.com

• 2 months later...
I own a 1999 toyota solara which I recently purchased 7 months ago.  Recently, the window on the driver's side stopped working when I got in my car at work.  It then worked the following morning.  I noticed it affects the passenger's side window as well.  Could it be a cause of the heat or something completely unrelated?  I checked the fuses and the windows work at night or in the morning it seems.  Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the long delay, I don't get in here very often.

I went through exactly the same thing with my 2000 Sienna. Basically, there's a bi-metalic strip attached to the motor. This is a sensor to detect when the window has become jammed (ie. your hand is in the window when you roll it up). It detects the motor "overheating" when it goes under the extra load, and then breaks the contact. This stops the motor.

Of course, we couldn't get *just* the bi-metal switch, it's part of the whole motor assembly. So we intended on just "hot-wired" it. There's an inherent risk in this approach though, since if something *is* stuck in the window the safety feature won't cut in and the motor won't shut off. This could lead to the motor burning out, the glass shattering or whatever's within getting squished.

We were lucky though. Once we got the motor assembly out (which is a *very* painful job), cleaned everything up anbd bench-tested, it begain working fine. We crossed our fingers and reinstalled, and it's been fine ever since (2+ years now).

Brad.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links