Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What You Get For A £90 Stealth Shelf!

DaveSR

Lets try not to get on to the issue that I could have built one myself, as I dont have the necessary woodwork skills nor the tools in which to achieve this, but I guess that this is up to you.

So here is some information/pics about my stealth shelf and what you would get if you were to order one from the net.

If you do decide to build your own or you run your own little business building these shelfs (Chris :thumbsup: !) you could use this as a guide on how to maybe improve your current design?

First of all they cost around the £90 mark and are available in two colours either black or grey (I opted for grey) and they are a replacement for your current shelf to hid your Speakers underneath (In my case some 6*9's). It fit's exactly in to the same space as your current shelf, although you might wish to attach some string to it so that it lifts up when you open up the boot.

If you do decide to order your shelf from the net make sure that you confirm the correct size with them, as it took me 3 attempts to get the correct size as the shelfs were to small. So talking about sizes it's a good place to start:

th_Stealthshelf.jpg

*Note that this was taken from my 3dr yaris

If your car is not the same as above you can easily go out and measure your shelf (Or if you was to make your own, you can draw around it on some MDF as a template) But I can't stress how important this issue is to get the correct size before ordering as it will save you alot of hassle!

So whats next?

Well if you have built your own you will need to cover it in 'Acoustic Carpet' brought from pritty much anywhere (Even Halfords sell it now) and then after that you will need to cut the holes out in the mdf for you Speakers to be attached to. Most Speakers now days come with a template which you just draw around on the MDF and cut out.

So thats a simple job I guess!

From what I have seen other peoples shelfs are just flat, where-as this one is shaped on top so that it looks more like the orignal shelf. This is simply done by using two seperate bits of MDF, and can be seen in the photo's below:

th_DSC00212.jpg th_DSC00214.jpg th_DSC00213.jpg

th_DSC00217.jpg th_DSC00216.jpg th_DSC00215.jpg

What the pictures don't show to well is how the shelf is fixed on to holding pins. This has been done by attaching a big block of wood along the back of the shelf and then a groove on either side has been made so that it can fit/slide on to the pins.

(I'll try and take some pictures later to show this)

The bottom bit of MDF can be easily removed by removing a few screws and allows for a new bit of MDF to be re-attached if I wanted to add some new speakers but the holes where the incorrect size.

So that's what £90 of shelf looks like........any questions or comments just ask!

Someone's making a hell of a profit on them for £90

Shame some of the shelves are different sizes on the Yaris, I can make these in work.

u should have said mate. ive made shealth shelf for a few toc members now. and i have one in the garage atm waitin to be finished off. £50 and it could have been urs

Well i've paid for it now......dont make me :crybaby: !

This can be used as a guide for others not to make the same mistake.........lol!

But I think it was money well spent :thumbsup: !

u should have said mate. ive made shealth shelf for a few toc members now. and i have one in the garage atm waitin to be finished off. £50 and it could have been urs

how much would the postage be on top out of interest? Is it you thats been selling them on eBay cos they're on there for about £50?

Looks like a nice bit of kit ... but Ive got to say the one that Chris made for me is a top peice of kit.

Its an absolute perfect fit, changes the sound for the better and most of all provides a perfect fit for my Speakers.

If anyone is thinking of one of these Id recommend a Chris special!

how much would the postage be on top out of interest? Is it you thats been selling them on eBay cos they're on there for about £50?

not sure mate. never looked tbh cos i have never had to post them. 3 of them were for my mates and one for clarky and i met up with him a couple of months ago.

if u plan on comin on a toc northern meet sometime i could bring one

Definatly does make the sound quality better as when I had the smaller shelf, the base from the Speakers just wasn't what it is now.

So Chris...........lets talk about commission :thumbsup: !

I can also vouch for the canavan stealth shelf! :P

OK, so he didn't make it, but taught me how, and it's really neat (Yes Chris, i remember bodging up levelling it out before you mention it). Improves the sound alot. All mine is missing is acoustic carpet, which ive found hard to locate in Cyprus, so have used felt instead. Has not affected sound quality by using felt

Theses shelves weigh a fair bit though eh? :wacko:

Or am I doing a Moffmo and talking rubbish? :P

i had the auto accoustics one, was perfect and helped the sound by miles

they are CNC machined aswell so trust me the cost is justified! as we charge anywhere between 50 and 180 pounds per hour on the machinery and theres a good hour of machining as i would have worked out ;)

not sure mate. never looked tbh cos i have never had to post them. 3 of them were for my mates and one for clarky and i met up with him a couple of months ago.

if u plan on comin on a toc northern meet sometime i could bring one

I am looking to have one installed over the next few weeks - as I am on a very tight bidget I have decided to make my own now. Originally I thought about buying one but the cost of my install soon added up - costs like speaker mounts, wiring looms, sound deadening etc are costs I hadn't really budgeted for! The old man is pretty good with these things so I reckon between us we might have it sorted....just. Got any tips for making one?

What the pictures don't show to well is how the shelf is fixed on to holding pins. This has been done by attaching a big block of wood along the back of the shelf and then a groove on either side has been made so that it can fit/slide on to the pins.

(I'll try and take some pictures later to show this)

Looks tops.... Im very keep to see how it's attached ;) I made one but couldnt figure out how to get it attached correctly :)