Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Difference Between Pwr And O/d Off On Lc?

Sword

Hi,

Just swapped my previa for a 2nd user LC Colorado vx 3.4 v6 - woooohooo! (then they put petrol prices up, lol).

Anyway, was wondering what the difference is between the Overdrive off switch (which we also had in the previa) and the PWR switch - which we didn't.

When would I one above the other?

ta,

Sword

Hi,

Just swapped my previa for a 2nd user LC Colorado vx 3.4 v6 - woooohooo!  (then they put petrol prices up, lol).

Anyway, was wondering what the difference is between the Overdrive off switch (which we also had in the previa) and the PWR switch - which we didn't.

When would I one above the other?

ta,

Sword

thanks Realspeed - but I'm a newbie to all this and still a little confused ...

Turning overdrive off then means that your car won't change up a gear so quickly - thus allowing you to accellerate faster but use more fuel.

Doesn't PWR do exactly the same thing?

If so, I'm still confused about the difference.

Apologies for thickness :-)

Sword

I dont know enough about the Landcruiser setup to be able to say your talking rubbish, but on most auto Toyotas that I have driven the overdrive is just like a 4th gear, and does not have any effect on the other 3 gears.

My Surf is an auto and on that I have the 3 gears and overdrive, so driving in town I switch it off, anything over 45mph I turn it on and it will cruise along, the reason that I turn it off in town is that sometimes it goes into 4th gear/overdrive at low speeds and the engine will labour a bit, so with it off it keeps the revs up a bit.

The PWR switch when turned on will hold the gears a bit higher, so that the change happens at higher revs, useful for when towing.

I dont know enough about the Landcruiser setup to be able to say your talking rubbish, but on most auto Toyotas that I have driven the overdrive is just like a 4th gear, and does not have any effect on the other 3 gears.

My Surf is an auto and on that I have the 3 gears and overdrive, so driving in town I switch it off, anything over 45mph I turn it on and it will cruise along, the reason that I turn it off in town is that sometimes it goes into 4th gear/overdrive at low speeds and the engine will labour a bit, so with it off it keeps the revs up a bit.

The PWR switch when turned on will hold the gears a bit higher, so that the change happens at higher revs, useful for when towing.

I was going to post something similar to that myself but you beat me to it :lol:

removed all postings on the subject

Dont throw your toys out of the pram mate, just because I didnt agree with what you said, this is a forum for people to give views and opinions on things, and I did say that I dont know enough about Landcruisers.

Reinstate your posts and we will have a debate about it, maybe we both might learn a bit more about the workings of this vehicle. :o :o :o

Yep, you're correct.

On all Toyota Auto's, ECT Power when switched on makes the car hold the gears longer, therefore change at a higher RPM. It's what other people call Sport mode on other brands.

Overdrive, is just top gear. If you have a 3 speed plus overdrive box then that's 4 speed with overdrive switched on.

Normally you leave Power off, and Overdrive on.

Power on = more fuel used

Overdrive off = more fuel used

:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Well in between the grumps on this thread I've finally found out what the differenvce is on my Landcruiser too. The difference with the overdrive switched off is obvious but the PWR switch dosen't seem to do much at all and I have a 4.2 turbo diesel so I would have thought I'd have noticed some thing?

Having said that I've never actually used it whilst towing so next time I'll give it a go and see if I notice any difference with the fuel consuption.....

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to jump on this old thread only just read it, but the overdrive on my LC definitely affects the 3rd gear aswell, if i select o/d when in 3rd it changes up a gear slightly and rpm,s drop , it will then go on to a 4th gear also dropping rpm,s even more , ive also noticed the difference in rpm for the same given speed in 3rd gear with o/d selected/unselected,so its not a simple as o/d giving you just a 4th gear

I think that what you are talking about is the torque convertor lock up, not sure on when it happens on the L/C but on the surf it locks at about 55mph.

O/D or overdrive to give it's full title in it's basic form is just your 4th gear. If it's switched off you can only get upto 3rd gear.

The slight drop in revs when cruising is the torque-converter lock-up.

The only real time you may need to turn O/D off is if you are coasting down a hill and use it for engine braking.

As for ECT Power, I never saw the benefit of it as the car seemed perfectly fast enough with it off, all it does is allow the engine to rev higher (although no higher than if you were accelerating in kick-down) and the changes are quicker but not quite as smooth.

As a rule, leave ECT Power off and leave the O/D on.

O/D or overdrive to give it's full title in it's basic form is just your 4th gear. If it's switched off you can only get upto 3rd gear.

The only real time you may need to turn O/D off is if you are coasting down a hill and use it for engine braking.

As for ECT Power, I never saw the benefit of it as the car seemed perfectly fast enough with it off, all it does is allow the engine to rev higher (although no higher than if you were accelerating in kick-down) and the changes are quicker but not quite as smooth.

I use my ECT power on my Surf mainly when towing and the O/D when cruising over 50-60mph

If i had the 3.0litre Surf then i dont think i would need to use the ECT power but as i have the 2.4 i use it just for little extra few revs in the gears.

• 1 year later...

PWR locks the rear diff I think. It does on mine anyway. Try putting on PWR on a dry road (tarmac) and goig around tight corners. If you notice a judder or sharp vibrations It is a diff lock, you only use it on very wet road or off road if the wheels slip.

Hope this helps.

I use my ECT power on my Surf mainly when towing and the O/D when cruising over 50-60mph

If i had the 3.0litre Surf then i dont think i would need to use the ECT power but as i have the 2.4 i use it just for little extra few revs in the gears.