Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 1991 - Without Spoiler! Bhp?

westojh

:crybaby: Hi!

I am buying a 1991 MR2, non T-Bar, but it doesn't have a spoiler! It is a UK car, but I am trying to find out the BHP output of the engine. I have wittled it down to either a 3S-GE (higher power) or 3S-FE (lower power).

Can anyone shead some light on this? I have the engine number, but doesn't help me much; 3S1462636.

Please put me out of my missery!

Cheers

James

:yes: sounds like a good deduction to me!

-Z

:help: Well yes, but thats my issue, is it 3S-GE OR 3S-FE they both start with 3S, but which is it? Does anyone know? :help:

most likely the 3SFE 119bhp model if its got no spoiler

look under the engine lid if you can see the cam cover clearly its a FE if its got 4 big pipes going over the top its the higher power GE

-Z

:help: Well yes, but thats my issue, is it 3S-GE OR 3S-FE they both start with 3S, but which is it? Does anyone know? :help:

hah, my bad wasnt thinking clearly!

if ya can get pics r hav a ganders do what jaxx says!

-Z

I believe the UK version without spoiler used the 3S-FE engine.

Also came without lower front lights & centre storage bin.

Do you have the Chassis number? I think I have list somewhere that indicates engine type according to Chassis number. I'll find it if you have the number - if not, there's no point me looking for it.

Ah, found list anyway. Info is in model code not chassis number, but you'll find code on the plate inside front bonnet.

e.g. from Dec 89 through Aug 92, code SW20R-ACMZKW should indicate a 3SFE engine. I've bolded the K as that seems to be what differentiates the engine type. e.g. the same RHD car for European Market with 3SGE engine would be SW20R-ACMZFW.

[EDIT]Just noticed I'd missed the Z out of this code SW20R-ACMZKW. Have corrected it above.[/EDIT]

Ah, found list anyway.  Info is in model code not chassis number, but you'll find code on the plate inside front bonnet.

e.g. from Dec 89 through Aug 92,  code SW20R-ACMKW should indicate a 3SFE engine.  I've bolded the K as that seems to be what differentiates the engine type.  e.g. the same RHD car for European Market with 3SGE engine would be SW20R-ACMZFW.

Thats fantastic! Cheers guy's for your help, I'll try and find out which engine it is.

Thanks again

James

I believe the UK version without spoiler used the 3S-FE engine.

Also came without lower front lights & centre storage bin.

Do you have the Chassis number?  I think I have list somewhere that indicates engine type according to Chassis number.  I'll find it if you have the number - if not, there's no point me looking for it.

mine has foggies and the storage bin ? ? ? were they factory extras or somethin?

mine has rev 2 spec as well ? and a spoiler fitted later

I wasn't sure about the storage bin or the fog lights (or spot lights as they are referred to on one site). Though maybe they were fitted later when the spoiler was added.

Is your car a UK model or an import? UK probably as most imports tend to be tubbys.

T

I wasn't sure about the storage bin or the fog lights (or spot lights as they are referred to on one site).  Though maybe they were fitted later when the spoiler was added.

Is your car a UK model or an import?  UK probably as most imports tend to be tubbys.

T

Mine is a UK fse on a K (92)

You're right of course. I forgot that. 3FSE was UK only and USA/Canada had 5FSE which was 2.2 litre and 130bhp.

-Z

hah, my bad wasnt thinking clearly!

-Z

Likewise, Doh. Dimebar, Dimebar, Armadilos!!

sounds like a 3sfe to me as they were the base model mr2 with no spoiler, no fogs, sunroof on some, no power steering and laods of other cost savings.

to be honest, if you bought one of those, you wouldnt be happy for very long.

Might be worth finding out though - I believe the insurance group should be lower for the 3SFE engine.

i was told mines a 121bhp!, without spolier.... god knows what engine, i arent that up dated on stuff like that :s

Your's is the 3SFE babes.

I think they're normally listed as the "coupe" version and should be cheaper insurance. May wanna have a spy as it could save ya som pennies! :thumbsup:

-Z

Yes caz , zee is right - saw it at jae when you were sorting the cooling problem out

Hopefully you would have alreay told the insurance company if it was uk or import - they 'should' know the rest :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links