Do Not Sell My Personal Information

17" Wheels

cynos_boy

So the question is should I go for 17" wheels for my Cynos?

It's a gen 2 '98...ickle 1.3 engine. :unsure:

It's silver and I'd like to go for a set of either black or anthracite wheels along the lines of 100+/Team dynamics Monza or Motor Sport 1.2 multispoke type affairs.

Or should I keep it sensible and get the 15" option instead-or 16".Hell, I don't know!

Never was very good at making decisions... :wacko:

I have some looovely 13 inch steelies on at the moment and it's killing my mid life crisi... erm, street cred. :huh:

Or should I go for the 5 spoke look, bearing in mind I have the standard drums/calipers. They may look a bit puny behind 17s..

There are no body mods on the car as I have only had it a week.

I plan on putting some sides , a front lip and rear diffuser type affair and a boot spoiler (not wing). Want it to look fairly factory not all sharp/pointy gofastery...look at the silly old man, mummy...type of affair.

Any comments would be appreciated :bye:

good man (referring to the body add ons)

wheel sizes really depend on your priorities though...if you're after a " look " then i presume big wheels may look nice (to the people who like that kinda thing) but it'll worsen the ride quality, dent acceleration, may be a bit of a pain when manoevering and will affect the gearing / speedo calibration.

if you're after subtly improved looks and better handling, a 15" -16" max, should provide a big enough improvement in grip, and if lightweight, would be better for handling

good man (referring to the body add ons)

wheel sizes really depend on your priorities though...if you're after a " look " then i presume big wheels may look nice (to the people who like that kinda thing) but it'll worsen the ride quality, dent acceleration, may be a bit of a pain when manoevering and will affect the gearing / speedo calibration.

if you're after subtly improved looks and better handling, a 15" -16" max, should provide a big enough improvement in grip, and if lightweight, would be better for handling

Well, slightly interested in aesthetics,but not to the detriment of handling.

Definitely not a chavy/barry/scanger look where it means I have a 900 foot turning circle with loadsa rubbing.

15s are obviously cheaper and 'fill the arches' better than my 13s with their balloon like tyres ;)

According to the 'sales patter' the motor sport 1.2 wheels are 'race proven' and lighter than normal 'street wheels'.

Looks like the decision is almost made........now just need to make a trip to the docks to get some , money..ahem.

i have 17's and there fine, no rubbing and no arch work needed but if you are serious about engine tuning and performance i would say 15's as they are as riko says probably slightly better.

16's are a compromise but the tyre costs for them can be quite expensive due to not many people having them!

even im undecided on 15's or 16's...but meh...

To make matters worse I've now found a supplier of light weight Jap racing wheels-ROTA- in Ireland and some of them are way funky-looks and price...CLICKY

slipstream

subzero

Definitely going for a non silver-flat black/gun metal colour to compliment the silver of the car.

Any comments? Suggestions?

Answers on a postcard...

dark wheels with a chrome lip seem to be " in style " now, id only ever go for lightweight wheels, but im going for some more expensive forged ones...but first im gonna sell my kidney and a lung to get the money

dark wheels with a chrome lip seem to be " in style " now, id only ever go for lightweight wheels, but im going for some more expensive forged ones...but first im gonna sell my kidney and a lung to get the money

Over here in Ireland it'd cost a lot more than 2 organs :blink:

In my opinion 15" rims will help win more races than 16's, 17's or 18's.

You'll be surprised at the level of performance you'll get from a 195/50/15 high performance tyre if inflated to the correct pressures for the conditions.

Furthermore the "in" thing for this year in Japan has been very lightweight and very deep dish.

Obviously deep dish ain't practical for a fwd vehicle but very lightweight rims like Work, Rays Engineering, Racing Hart etc are the biz.

Cheers,

P. ;)

I have the 15" white Enkei whells that alot of the starlet/yaris owners seem to have.

They are light weight, look good and with 195/50/15 tyres they do not make any noticeable difference in accelleration what so ever.

I appreciate that white wheels dont suit all cars, but i think they look ok on my Silver Paseo

Here's a pic jus to give u an idea, its not a brilliant pic tho.

pict11452ur.th.jpg

Same colour car as mine..

I'd prefer something darker for the wheels though.

Any comments on gunmetal with a polished rim?

news0212by.th.jpg

Edited by cynos_boy

hah, knew you couldnt resist the dark with polished rim :P

i think the oz super leggera's would look particularly nice as per above colour, plus they are forged (i.e. very strong), they are light, and hey, its o.z. racing...

hah, knew you couldnt resist the dark with polished rim :P

i think the oz super leggera's would look particularly nice as per above colour, plus they are forged (i.e. very strong), they are light, and hey, its o.z. racing...

Those ROTA wheels ar quoted as sub 8kg for 17s. so I suppose the 15s would be a bit lighter...is that still light ? Haven't seen any specs for the OZ wheels..

actually those rota's look quite nice..i would think they'd suit the paseo's simple and sleek lines.

and that seems like a very light weight for a relatively big wheel...i think the standard 14" alloys on the Si (i.e. my car) are something like 12 - 15kg!

oz superleggeras --> 1001ab.jpg

and they weigh 16.3lbs for the 17x7's...

I'll qualify my post by stating a 15" lightweight rim is in the vicinity of 4.5-5.5kg.

Cheers,

P. ;)

If it makes you feel better I'm going to try a set of 18s under mine

Is that where the moniker comes from? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Well!

I decided to go for 15"(195/50/15) Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 (multispoke) in Black(no polished rim :( )!

It'll take a few weeks to get them delivered - I think there is a backlog.

prorace127pn.th.jpg

Very nice wheels.

I have similar wheels IE mulispokes.

I would have gone for 17" as I think even 17"s look small on the Seos GIANT arches but I suppose thats just me eh.

Good choice.

Nice choice mate and I'd say the better option at 15" too. Much better handling than 17"s :thumbsup:

One of my mates customers came in the other day with a set of those in black on a Clio and I commented on how nice they looked :yes: Just a shame they were on a Clio :D