Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Protest Planned 14th September

nrgizerbunny

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaveSR

• Tegan

• sotal

• Moffmo

Top Posters In This Topic

sotal Posted Today, 10:05 AM

Cheers for something a little more definitive, can't find that though on the UKPIA site, have you got a link?

Cheers

Try this.

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_issues/envir...se_of_fuel.aspx

Reason I (and friends) got so 'curious' is we are also into military vehicles and many military vehicles have 'Jerry Can's' mounted on them. Thus we woundered how we would stand if we filled them right up ...to which we were told we would be breaking the law :o

hmm, just carried on reading that site and it said you get fined up to £5000 if your found to breaking those rules. Then I realised that they aren't an autority on it so I thought I'd do a little more hunting around and found some government documentation:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/65-9.htm

That says that you can store upto 275 litres of petrol without a license at home but you have to meet various requirements.

You can store the fuel in containers larger than 10 litres if you meet the following:

a) the storage place is more than 6m from a building, highway or public footpath,and;

B) there is spillage retention at the storage place (eg retaining wall, trench), and;

c) the licensing authority is given written notice of the storage place before it is used.

But now on to the interesting bit which may help you with your Jerry cans on Militray Vehicles:

CARRIAGE OF PETROL

16 PCA and it's associated regulations do not exercise any control over the carriage of petrol on vehicles for private or work use.

17 The commercial carriage of petrol is covered by two sets of HSE enforced regulations:

- the Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road Regulations 1996 (CDG); and

- the Carriage of Dangerous Goods (Classification, Packaging and Labelling) and Use of Transportable Pressure Receptacles Regulations 1996 (CDGCPL).

18 These regulations include requirements for design and marking of the packaging or containers used. The packaging must be suitable for the purpose, having regard to the substances they contain and be appropriately marked. PLAs should direct queries to the local HSE office.

19 These regulations are solely concerned with the commercial transport of hazardous substances and do not cover petrol carried on a vehicle for private use.

SUMMARY

20 At filling stations, there is no specific legal restriction on the type or number of containers that can be filled (although Petroleum Licensing Authorities often use licensing conditions to limit the containers sizes). The legal limits are on how and where they are subsequently kept.

21 Carriage of petrol is not covered by petroleum legislation. However, petroleum licensing officers should advise filling station operators to ensure that only containers suitable for the purpose are filled.

So you can carry as much as you want in any container, you just can't store it, so technically I am perfectly fine using a jerry can to transport the fuel from the filling station as long as when I get home I empty it into the tank of my bike and any left into either 10 litre metal containers or 5 litre plastic containers

I am reading it right or have I misunderstood?? :thumbsup::unsure:

Now that is interesting,

It would appear to be a grey area.

So could have argument providing I leave Jerrycan mounted on the Jeep or Landrover.

...then again some b***er will probabley syphon it out :lol:

ah but are you storing it when you stop or are you still transporting it. Personally I would say you were still transporting it unless you parked in your garage.

As you say though it is a very grey area and I doubt they would ever be able to fine you for having a jerry can.

If you want to be safe just go to the scrap yard and get an old fuel tank off another vehicle, cap off the outlet pipes and store it in there as it says you can store as much as you want in a vehicle fuel tank :lol:

Yes you will all die if you panic buy

We've all got to go sometime :P

Im with Moffmo on this :thumbsup: !

ANYONE WHO PANIC BUYS WILL BE SHOT ON PREMESIS :arrgg-matey: !

I just hope they have some drinky for Skye tonight when I fill up for weekend... otherwise I'll be miffed

The main reason that the previous fuel protests were so effective were because the government and oil companies were caught totally off guard - the blockades occured almost instantly and with no advance warning.

That situation won't happen again. Firstly, they have given five days of advance warning of the protests, so the oil companies have time to react and work overtime to make sure all their forecourts are topped up. The government will have a well setup contingency plan after they were made to look like idiots last time - they're control freaks, and they really hated being held to ransom by a bunch of farmers. Also, didn't they pass some new legislation making refinery blockades illegal?

The only thing that is common with the previous fuel protests is that they have caused panic buying. Still, I'm going to fill up all my cars at the earliest opportunity. :lol:

Theres no point in the fuel protest, 75% of the money you pay for petrol is..... TAX....

and bear this in mind - the 10p per litre fuel has risen in the last week - 7.5p of the increase goes directly to the goverment...

so we are actually only paying an extra 3p per litre for the fuel...

so surely we should be blockading #10 not refineries?

Im off to the petrol station tonight to fill all my cans up :) Should be able to store a good 100litres in the garage :lol: ;)

But not because of this protest!....just because at the rate fuel is going up i'd rather buy it now at 98p per litre than get it in a week or so at probably £1.50 at this rate :wacko:

I will fill my car up tonight :thumbsup: then if I cant fill my car up next week I have been told I will have to work from home..... Oh well what a shame :lol::lol:

Theres no point in the fuel protest,  75% of the money you pay for petrol is..... TAX....

and bear this in mind - the 10p per litre fuel has risen in the last week - 7.5p of the increase goes directly to the goverment...

Is it a percentage of the fuel cost, or is it x pence per litre? I thought the chancellor adding 2p to petrol meant that we paid an extra 2p per litre regardless of the cost of the fuel.

Not taking away from the fact that the majority of the cost is still tax, regardless of the actual selling price.

Paul.

the base rate tax we pay on petrol is a % - every year the chanceller adds a pence per litre number onto the tax.

This remains a fixed number until the near the next budget, when it becomes a percentage again.

This is because the goverment doesnt want to say, were increasing fuel tax to 78% from 76%, so they play with the way it works...

On the subject of fuel prices, I've just been to fill up and went to the BP station. Regular Unleaded was 93.9p/ltr, Ultimate unleaded: 94.9p/ltr!

Worth the extra penny? I tend to get a bit more mpg out of it so I thought why not. Just wondering how the lawnmower is going to take it though :P

No sign of any panic buying up here in Wakefield or down in Bristol today, I'm thinking that maybe this could be a lot of fuss about nothing (I just know now I'll go out tomorrow and there'll be 5mile queues at all the petrol stations after saying that).

They are beginning to start panic buying down here. My local tesco saw a guy take out 2 jerry can's easy 50 litres each and he filled them both up :wacko: This is the start of it all.

jerry!!

Slightly OT, but its amazing all the stuff we take for granted and then once a sign of it comes that it might be a problem using it, we just go mad! :unsure:

Indeed. Petrol, electricity, etc...

Have you tried living a day without a mobile phone (those of you who have and use one). It's horrible!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links