Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traction Control And 'pod Runs?

alanbradley

Right folks...

I was reading the "'Pod" thread from Sunday and I wondered if the traction control was either a help or a hindrance to getting off the line quickly? From what I've read, if seems like the perfect getaway actually needs a wee bit of tyre slip - is that right?

So, if it is a hindrance do you guys (well, Lee and Earpl and the "pull it all out" squad :D ) still have active or have you disabled it?

I only thought of this 'cos I was thiking about weheels, tyres and traction control rather than work today ;)

Cheers,

A

Oh ffs... How the heck did I get that into my head then :unsure: (probably the same way as I thought JAE was the last weekend in July <_< )

Yeah, well, never mind :ph34r:

Move along folks - nothing to see here :!Removed!:

A

Right folks...

I was reading the "'Pod" thread from Sunday and I wondered if the traction control was either a help or a hindrance to getting off the line quickly? From what I've read, if seems like the perfect getaway actually needs a wee bit of tyre slip - is that right?

So, if it is a hindrance do you guys (well, Lee and Earpl and the "pull it all out" squad :D ) still have active or have you disabled it?

I only thought of this 'cos I was thiking about weheels, tyres and traction control rather than work today ;)

Cheers,

A

Traction control only works when the tyre loses grip, so the tyre does slip as it has to for traction control to get the grip back!

Turn it off and the wheels will just spin, so I guess for best performance it would be best to have it on as the computer can calculate alot quicker than us humans!

My dads clio has it.......rev it high and release the clutch and your get a tiny amount of wheel spin, the traction control warning light will come on and off you go :thumbsup:

But we dont have traction control

You wont see many superminis with it on i would have thought

I know........but I was refering to my dads clio 2l sport ^_^ !

Plus it helps with a little definition to know what it is!

I know........but I was refering to my dads clio 2l sport ^_^ !

Plus it helps with a little definition to know what it is!

Was talking to alan not you dont worry :D

tbh at pod the wheels hardly spun alot they seemed to get grip pretty quick. must be the surface they have or the amount of rubber which is on the floor. unlike when it happens on a road where they can spin and make ur car bounce. not that i do that one public roads at all :ph34r:

tbh at pod the wheels hardly spun alot they seemed to get grip pretty quick. must be the surface they have or the amount of rubber which is on the floor. unlike when it happens on a road where they can spin and make ur car bounce. not that i do that one public roads at all  :ph34r:

Plus, the surface at the Pod will be smoother, I'd imagine, like 'roundy round' circuits. I was amazed at the superior grip of Oulton Park when I first drove around it.

That may sound like a contradiction but with a smoother, flatter surface (not a slippy one!) the tyre can make contact with more of the track over it's footprint, so more friction and more grip.

This accounts for why slick tyres have so much grip on a track but would not be a good idea for normal roads. :eek:

EDIT: Just remembered something else. Some European Yari have a traction control switch, I think.

Edited by Al J

matt but you dont have a tsport?

and no traction control will slow you down! its crap, its a safety feature, it doesnt aid getting you off the line at all, hence cars which have it but you cant switch it off......well..........SUCK! :P

yep traction control really saps up the power both my parents cars have it and my mums 1.8 feels like a 1.3 because of it, i do turn it off though :P

only really any good when youve got power to waste i.e. 250 bhp

matt but you dont have a tsport?

Tsports dont have traction control either

matt chill ;)

Edited by earpl

if it made you better off the lights the high octane drag cars would use it. some road cars do need it though to keep them safe my dads car when booted will make the traction light flash in 4th :lol:

im pretty sure leeky was gettingbetter times at the pod with his traction control on

this is were my theory comes into play,

and EARPL TSPORTS DO COME WITH TRACTION CONTROL

only in europe tho

Cheers Lee - that explains where I got it from then... I thought I was going nuts last night (I blame Ryan... <_< )

A

if it made you better off the lights the high octane drag cars would use it

Top fuel drag cars have huge tyres that are designed to get them off the line stupidly quickly, but put similar tyres on a Yaris, you'd be picking up so many pieces of your gearbox from the startline, Santa Pod would charge you for lost earinigs :P

yep traction control really saps up the power both my parents cars have it and my mums 1.8 feels like a 1.3 because of it

Traction control works by cutting fuel or spark to the engine when it detects the wheels are slipping/spinning - it does not slow the car down in usual driving conditions. Perhaps you should stop trying to do burnouts in your mums car ;)

tbh at pod the wheels hardly spun alot they seemed to get grip pretty quick

In a Yaris - I'd be suprised if the wheels span at all!

Plus, the surface at the Pod will be smoother, I'd imagine, like 'roundy round' circuits. I was amazed at the superior grip of Oulton Park when I first drove around it.

That may sound like a contradiction but with a smoother, flatter surface (not a slippy one!) the tyre can make contact with more of the track over it's footprint, so more friction and more grip.

This accounts for why slick tyres have so much grip on a track but would not be a good idea for normal roads.

There's only one thing that stops slick tyres from being road legal - its called rain :D

Hope that helps you all.

Ben

Thats bound to go down well in a Yaris forum coming from a Honda driver! :rolleyes:

Traction control is not bad though, my brothers HGT has it and it helps him alot! :thumbsup:

Yeah isnt traction control a safety feature that cuts power to prevent wheelspinning rather than improving grip. Also is it not launch control that aids ... well launches :P ? I no launch control isnt on the yaris but was just clearing up the possible confusion? or have i added more? you boys can sort it out and explain launch control to me while your there! :P

Thats bound to go down well in a Yaris forum coming from a Honda driver! :rolleyes:

As the driver of a 1.0 Yaris - I find it hard to take your comments seriously :P

Nothing wrong with Hondas, especially turbo ones, with over 200hp, plus an extra bit of nitrous "just incase"

Wanna race?