Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speakers

scottyjaxx

Hi,

My first post on this forum...and I've gotta say that this looks like a great site. I'm already interested in getting some extra bits for our new Rav4 (finding it hard to put a pic on my profile though....I haven't got a pic on a URL...just on my harddrive)

Anyway....my first post is regarding the Speakers in the car. I'm having a new super stereo fitted next week which is Blue Tooth compatable (So the wife can leave her phone in her bag!) but I want to change the Speakers too as the ones in there have a slightly muffled sound and decent Speakers aren't that expensive these days.

I wondered if anyone knows the size of the speakers that are in there (I've got a 5 door - 04 model). No one seems to know which is making it very hard for me to shop around for some decent speakers. I heard that I may need a plate too to fit normal round speakers although I'm convinced that there are round speakers in there as the casing is very round!!

Your help would be very much appreaciated.

Ha! I've just seen a bit below that someone has asked the same question!! 16.5 cms. Does anyone know if you can buy spacers?

Ha! I've just seen a bit below that someone has asked the same question!! 16.5 cms.  Does anyone know if you can buy spacers?

i replaced my front Speakers with some JBL's - now got a nice sound :) you do need spacers, about 1inch otherwise the windows will crash into the magnets of the Speakers.

i just used some 1inch square timber screwed into the door frame at the 3 locating points of the speaker - i have some photos, on my website:- http://www.spips.co.uk/rav4/frontspk.htm

I got my JBL's from Halfords for £50ish - you have to take the full door trim off though and then drill out the pop rivets on the existing speaker mountings....

Be careful though when removing the power windows switch plate, as you can easily break the mounting (like i did!) and ended up using araldite to fix it.

Phil

Scottyjaxx, let us know how you get on with the speaker upgrade. Looking to do the same but not 100% sure what is a decent buy for the output I will get.

Also do you feel the exisitng headunit needs replacing to get the benefit out of some decent Speakers?

Cheers

Paul

pips your link has no info on speakers that i could see and also some of the images are not on site either just thought you should know.

link now modified - you can see the Speakers now. will look into the other pics that could be missing and update them.

cheers,

phil

pips your link has no info on speakers that i could see and also some of the images are not on site either just thought you should know.

link now modified - you can see the Speakers now. will look into the other pics that could be missing and update them.

cheers,

phil

Nice one Phil. I dont suppose you you could post a brief description for the removal of the door panel together with any precautions we should be taking.

Cheers

Paul

Welcome to the club Scotty :thumbsup: hope you enjoy the rav4 section :) .

Yeh, I seem to recall I found this website from reading another post on the TOC referencing me to the RAV4World forums. A quick search on there and I found the following link:-

http://rav4world.com/ravtech/2001speakerinstall.html

Tips I gained from my fitting replacement Speakers are:

1: Don't try to remove the speaker grill on its own..... it's plastic welded in and breaks easily!!! :(

2: when removing the power mirror switch assembly, i would suggest a very flat thin steel rule to push in the top end (shown in the photo on Scott's page with a red arrow) - this should then release the very tight spring clip and allow it to hinge out at this point. the bottom mounting clip is plastic and can be easily broken if you try to lift the bottom out first.

3: The rivets are a !Removed! to get out - make sure you have some touchup paint to put on the bare metal when you've finished your drilling.

Cheers,

Phil.