Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice Required - Buying My First Avensis

smedre

I have never owned a toyota, but have seen a very nice Avensis located at a main dealer.

It's six month old (05) Avensis 2.0 D4d T-Spirit 4dr in Silver with 7500miles. (Toyota Dealer's Fleet managers car).

After a bit of discussion, they finally offered the car with 6months RFL & 12months RAC cover for £14500 for cash. I am going over for a test drive this weekend, (I am sure I wont be disappointed).

However:

1. Is this a good price for this car?

2. Do anyone own this model - if so is there anything I should know about before visiting the dealer

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

I got a quote for a new one from drivethedeal.com for £16,025.47 with metallic paint. I think you have to wait 12 months for the Avensis to hit about the 12 - 13K price range.

Have you checked the prices listed on Toyota's UK website in their used section? Don't they offer a 2 year warranty?

This model is Whatcar's current family car of the year.

Nice choice of car, I don't think you'll be disappointed. 2 litre diesel is a big sluggish compared to equivelant cars, Mondeo, Mazda 6 etc, but is still a good motorway cruiser. The T spirirt is the top of the range car, so you should get all the toys, including Sat Nav. Make sure the DVD for the sat nav is with the car when you buy/ collect, its about £400 to replace, I understand. The T spirit has 17 inch alloy wheels, which, if you read through other posts here, some people have road noise issues with, it may be possible for dealer to swap and put 16 inch alloys on, if this will be a problem for you. Make sure they don't charge you though!!

Other than that, all I can suggest is that you read through some of the older posts, and see what all the others think.

I have never owned a toyota, but have seen a very nice Avensis located at a main dealer.

It's six month old (05) Avensis 2.0 D4d T-Spirit 4dr in Silver with 7500miles. (Toyota Dealer's Fleet managers car).

After a bit of discussion, they finally offered the car with 6months RFL & 12months RAC cover for £14500 for cash. I am going over for a test drive this weekend, (I am sure I wont be disappointed).

However:

1. Is this a good price for this car?

2. Do anyone own this model - if so is there anything I should know about before visiting the dealer

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Nice car... not bad deal

T-Spirit is a very nice trim level.

You'll get the 1st year of Club Toyota free - this has the RAC cover.

RFL is a throw away item, so nice to have but dont pin the deal on it.

price sounds good - looking at the dealership where I got mine - a 2005 D4D T4 is going for a screen price of £17850... so I'd test drive it, you'll like it! then bite their hand off before they change their mind.

I doubt the car belonged to the fleet Manager. Suggest you ask to see the log book - you will probably find the registered owner is a lease company or Toyota UK. Worth checking.

Also the RAC cover comes with the warranty on a Toyota Approved used car - so they are not giving you anything by doing that.

The initial reason for looking at an Avensis was quite by chance. We went to a car supermarket to have a second look at a Mercedes C220 CDI Coupe, whilst there the wife happened to look inside an Avensis 2.0 D-CAT T Spirit. It would appear this particular model was only in production for just over 1yr, so a bit reluctant as not sure how it would affect resale price in 2 yrs.

Anyway, having reluctantly opened the door and got inside, I can honestly say that I was gutted. The Merc, even though the very good, failed to match the excellent build quality and overall feel of the toyota.

Re: 17" Wheels/Tyres

I suppose what might be OK to one person might be unacceptable to another.

The majority of the driving will be motorway, but will give feedback after the weekend.

Re: Warranty

It has the balance (2.5yrs) of the manufacturer warranty.

Do toyota offer additional 2 year full breakdown cover for around £100 like other manufacturers ?

Re: Sat Nav

I will make sure the DVD is supplied

Re: Previous Owner

I will have to look at the log book, but I guess an HPI check would highlight any issues

Do toyota mail dealers like other manufacturers provide this check FOC ?

Regarding size of alloys - I'm driving 18" with 225/40 Goodyear F1 GDS - and have no problems with neither comfort nor noise ;-)

Smedre

Plus you get the satisfaction of buying a car made not far from where you live

Avensis built at Burnaston - Derby!!!!

breakdown cover - probably only one years worth - with the club toyota membership - renewal of that is about £55 i think - so no big payout.

Mine was owned by Toyota UK - no biggy - they looked after it, did a full service, no problems...

Paul

Make sure you get a good speed up somewhere

my only problem with my car stemed from the bonding on the windscreen

it wasn't! :blink:

at speed, with the wind direction just right, it let in a bit of wind

sounded like a high pitch Bzzzzz

got Mr T to replace the windscreen - no more buzz :thumbsup:

They will try and sell you other bits n bobs too.

car care cover - valetting for a year

scotchguard cover - dont think this works for leather!

right-off cover - right the car off in the first 3 years and they pay the differnence between its value and what you paid for it.

there was something else - but can't remember it now!

but then you sound like a man to drive a hard deal - you'll be immune! :D

Yes, look over this site for common possible minor problems. The windshield sealing has been one, another is the door seals -- there has been a time in production when the wind can whistle in through them. I test drove my sales person's car, among others, and noted that his actually had this problem. Ears open!

But it is a fine choice of car -- a sort of "could have bought an A6 etc. but wasn't daft enough to spend the money". Bet I get ripped for that!

Re: Previous Owner

I will have to look at the log book, but I guess an HPI check would highlight any issues

Do toyota mail dealers like other manufacturers provide this check FOC ?

When i got my corolla that was a 3 year old i got all the normal used car stuff and they did a hpi check for me free of charge

write off cover also known has gap short fall cover i had it on my last car cost me 170quid that was on a new top spec rover 25 good job cos me girlfriend wrote the thing off after 6 weeks my insurance offered me 8500 quid for it the screen price was 12995 after sending my insurace a copy of the hp documents they up'd there offer to 10995 and gap paid the other 2000 quid short fall. In my opion its a good option if your on hp has you could still be payin for a car you aint got if theres a big short fall, not botherd on my corolla paid cash for that.

write off cover also known has gap short fall cover i had it on my last car cost me 170quid that was on a new top spec rover 25 good job cos me girlfriend wrote the thing off after 6 weeks my insurance offered me 8500 quid for it the screen price was 12995  after sending my insurace a copy of the hp documents they up'd there offer to 10995 and gap paid the other 2000 quid short fall. In my opion its a good option if your on hp has you could still be payin for a car you aint got if theres a big short fall, not botherd on my corolla paid cash for that.

That was it! GAP Insurance! :thumbsup:

Yeah, as you said, it was a fairely nominal sum to get back the difference between what the insurence gives you for your smoking wreck, and what you paid for it!!!

As I'm financing my car, I took this out... written one car off before - and a right pain in the bum that was!!! :ffs:

Well, I have finally got around to getting to writing my mini review:

The ride was particularly smooth. Mkuk0, I see what you mean about the 2.0 diesel being a bit sluggish at low speeds, however once on the motorway it was more than acceptable.

The road noise through the 17" wheels with the 3000A tyres was no more noticable than what we currently drive, even though I was particularly listening out for it. Perhaps toyota made recent changes to the cabin insulation or maybe its just that I am a little deaf ?.

The interior was just as good as I remembered, although the leather interior looked a little lighter in the open (But I suppose that why dealers have fancy showroom lighting). The dual zone climate a great feature (the wife likes to be warm, whilst I prefer temperatures closer to freezing).

I was very supprised how small the car felt whilst driving, maybe because I am used to a hatchback and the rear window is closer on a saloon (only problem is that I need to change the layout of my garage racking to allow for the extra 50cm of car).

Regarding Sat Nav, the disc was already inserted into. (Where in the car is this located and is there a version number I should be checking for ?)

Final Questions

1. Those of you with the 2.0 diesl, what MPG figures are you getting ? as I have seen posts stating a large discrepency with the ave MPG display)

2. Also how many keys should the dealer provide ?, Ive seen posts regarding master keys

Well we were very impressed with the car and what more can I say.

We are picking it up tommorrow morning :) .

Thanks

Smedre

Final Questions

1. Those of you with the 2.0 diesl, what MPG figures are you getting ? as I have seen posts stating a large discrepency with the ave MPG display)

2. Also how many keys should the dealer provide ?, Ive seen posts regarding master keys

Well we were very impressed with the car and what more can I say.

We are picking it up tommorrow morning  :) .

Thanks

Smedre

Welcome to the Club!!! :group-cuddles:

The MPG figures on my display, and the range figures are always suspect...

dont know why, I suppose they are taking a rolling average and hence loose some accuracy - dont know. Can't comment on the 2 ltr diesal tho - got a petrol one myself :)

You should get three keys - two black - one grey.

The grey is a valet parking key - it'll run the car, but not open a locked glovebox, or the boot (I dont know if the saloon has a remote boot release) :blink:

Never - ever loose both black keys - or you get the problems that people are currently having on here regarding new ECUs etc... :eek:

Yes, I like the dual zone aircon too - mine never goes off - but the passanger can have it set higher!

good motering

Paul

Gratz Smedre I suspect you wonr regret it! As for sluggish, there are always little black boxes you can add to boost BHP!!

Fuel consumption, my diesel regularly shows 50-58mpg in long runs, of which I do quite a lot, but I also run an excel spreadsheet which is more accurate and gives me around 45mpg average.