Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hand Break

Lenry

I was driving round Birmingham yesterday looking for somewhere to park.

I stopped on a hill in a que, put the handbrake on.

I noticed that I was slowly moving backwards, slammed on the foot breke, then reapplied the handbrake this time much harder.

I feel like I can't trust the handbrake now.

Can you (Me) tighten the handbrake, I can't find anything in the Haynes Manual referring to it.

Or is it just better to take it to a garage.

I hope someone can enlighten me :unsure:

They can be tightened, yes - cable will have become slack after so much use.

As for how to do it in the Yaris, I am not sure!

i would still trust the hand brake!!! how steep was the hill? my hand brake once failed me when i was on a super steep hill then i reapplied it and it was fine. if i were you i would test it out a few times and if your still having difficulty take it to a garage.

It wasn't to steep It was a ramp leading to an roundabout. I will test it.

It passed it's MOT at the end of June they would of picked that up then wouldn't of they?

It wasn't to steep It was a ramp leading to an roundabout. I will test it.

It passed it's MOT at the end of June they would of picked that up then wouldn't of they?

Yep........You probably just didn't apply it hard enough. I have had the same problem happen (if you can call it a problem) a few times, as I leave my foot on the brake and apply the hand brake then when I take my foot off the brake it rolls back a little!

I don't think that there is to much to worry about

The break shoes (i assume its got drum breaks on the rear) might be worn.. ok, they were good enough to pass the mot in june, but could be worn now... either that or the cable needs replaced or tightened.

I always leave the car in gear as well has the handbreak on when parked on a hill.

I just don't want to snap it off. Then I'll be stuck with the handbrake on, lol

I'll go for a drive tomorrow and test it, see if it needs looking at.

My yaris failed it's mot 6 months ago due to a non existant handbrake. I paid the guy £15 he tightened it up and it worked fine for a while but then started getting sloppy again now i'm in the same posistion as before.

Check (in the Haynes manual) the section where it refers to handbrake. There are two cables. You can tighten the handbrake from there. I have already done it... You may also check if the drum shoes need replacement

• 1 year later...
Check (in the Haynes manual) the section where it refers to handbrake. There are two cables. You can tighten the handbrake from there. I have already done it... You may also check if the drum shoes need replacement

Prob. a bit late now but my (02) Yaris' handbrake works great! And that is on an auto, where you use 'em a lot more if you drive proper-like. (not keeping foot on brakes at lights) Had it adjusted at service but that's normal. :yahoo:

adjustment should be under the hand brake gator, proberly a long reach 10mm socket, extension and a wratchet ;)

Never tighten a handbrake by the cable alone. The reason the handbrake comes up higher than normal, is that the shoes wear down. You should always make sure the rear shoes are adjusted manually first. THEN if there is still too much travel, adjust the handbrake cable, if your unsure, take it to a garage, you must be sure everthing is working correctly with your brakes.

On a side issue. the MOT only checks that the braking efficiency was good enough to pass the required testing on that day at that moment in time, there is no inspection of the internal shoes, so it is possible to have worn out shoes which pass an MOT. get it looked at if unsure. Kingo :thumbsup:

My yaris failed it's mot 6 months ago due to a non existant handbrake. I paid the guy £15 he tightened it up and it worked fine for a while but then started getting sloppy again now i'm in the same posistion as before.

Probably because he just tightened the cable, see my other comment. Kingo :thumbsup: