Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Second Hand Toyota Avensis Prices

Chris Dance

My Avensis T4 purchased new in Sept 2003 is now only worth £8,500. This is the price of the car on my new Toyota insurance documents. I do not think I will buy a new car again the loss of over £6000 over two years is a lot. I will be keeping my present car for a lot of years yet I am thinking.

I suggest you buy Whatcar magazine or visit Parkers website and check on the 3 year depreciation figures for all cars - shocking. New cars are a big con in the UK.

Yeah - bummer!

I'd buy a second hand - 1 year old or less car everytime

let someone else suffer the depreciation!

Sadly, you couldn't buy your car for that!

I don't believe there's anything wrong with the new car prices -- it's just that second hand isn't valued and it's a competitive marketplace with lots of choice. While the new price is what it is, there's enough choice to drive down used prices. What if those of us who couldn't afford to buy new had to pay 90% of the full price for a 2-year-old car? The UK system is great for the consumer. Buy new only if you plan to keep it, in which case it's good to know you've run it in gently and maintained it well, or if you can stomach the loss and love to change often.

Admittedly, it's good to know that the Avensis I bought new in Finland will hold its value -- the garage put the 5-year old Corolla I traded in up for over £10,000. Here you pay through the nose to buy new and do even worse second hand in terms of value for money and choice. You can't win here but it is possible to find a bargain in the UK! Imagine what I could have bought second hand for 37,000 euros there! :drool:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip about the "Parker's" web site Tawse57. I sent parkers prices to Toyota insurance they have now changed the estimated value from£8,500 to £13,500 on my policy.

I know I will only get market value if anything happened to the car but if £8,500 was what I accepted on the policy perhaps that is all they may have paid out????????

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links