Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Job Related Question...

Jamesb4uk

My girlfriends has been running a local conviniance store for the last 6 years. And since she's taken over the sales figures have gone from loss to 15% above the expected income. averaging 25k a week. :thumbsup:

unfortunatly the job now causes so much stress that we feel its in her best interest to find something else. she gets calls from work pretty much 24/7 etc

She's very good at what she does but the conditions she has to put up with are appauling, she complained to the area manager & he basically turned round & said tough. Even asked for a transfer but the only area's he offered her were places no one wanted i.e very high crime, bad neighberhoods etc. Due to the fact he knows nobody else could do the same job she does.

the only trouble about her leaving is that she gets our flat above the shop rent free - its a very small 2 bedroom flat BTW but it holds us & 4 cats :rolleyes:

my question is does anyone know of any other companies that do the same type of deal.. ie have properties above/near the shop? :help: Hopefully in the South East

J

(sorry for the essay :bye: )

thats actually a very good deal... the only other company in the SE that I know does that is Unwins...

To be honest, if i was you, i'd reccomend she deals with the working conditions (e.g. turn her phone off when shes not there) she might be happier..

just a thought.

Trouble is mate if they cant get hold of her on the phone - someone pops up....

yeah - we have an unwin's next door - might stick my head in & see if they have any positions going.... :thumbsup:

J

It sounds like she has a very stressful job, coupled with the fact that she's not getting any time out isn't very fair :(

I would agree with Fidgits. If your girlfriend is so valuable to the store the manager, he doesn't want her to go elsewhere, then she could talk to him and explain the situation. Might be an idea to sit down one evening and prepare some figures to demonstrate exactly how much she's turned the store round. He may be more forthcoming if he thinks she will stay.

If this seems to fall on deaf ears, then it will be apparent that he's not prepared to award her hard work and effort and would be time to enquire next door.

Trouble is it's a very underated job and there's plenty of surplus labour, let alone staff wanting transfer. The boss obviously feels he has all the cards in his hands, particularly as he is also your landlord.

Probably what has happened is that the level of intrusion has gradually got worse over time and has now crept in to the position of accepted practice. It does seem that you have a reasonable deal but you need to draw some lines in the sand. Have a friendly chat and point out how the situation has got a little out of hand. Agree on some guidelines/definite free time and inform the staff and stick a note on the stairs on the way up to your flat.

If you still get the tough luck response, start looking around for alternative emplyment on the quiet or make yourself unavailable -- go out at night, inform the staff you're not to be disturbed or have company over. Stick a note up in the stairs anyway -- "gone out / this is my night off/ use your own initiative for a change / I don't know what a phone is/ doorbell on strike!". Seems your getting all the stress and probably not much of the managerial pay! Speaking of which, had you considered pointing out your success and dedication and asking a higher authority for promotion/training for promotion? At least that way you might get paid for your efforts and you won't be throwing it all away in haste. Good luck!

Oh, one thing. Whenever I've been on a downer concerning my own career (i.e. frequently), I've come to realize that there's a difference between how things really are and how I perceive them. Think positive, it's probably not as bad as it looks and easily resolved! Don't chuck away something thats OK in nearly all other respects. Oh well, back to work -- I'll never make this deadline and they don't appreciate it anyway!

It sounds like she has a very stressful job, coupled with the fact that she's not getting any time out isn't very fair :(

I would agree with Fidgits. If your girlfriend is so valuable to the store the manager, he doesn't want her to go elsewhere, then she could talk to him and explain the situation. Might be an idea to sit down one evening and prepare some figures to demonstrate exactly how much she's turned the store round. He may be more forthcoming if he thinks she will stay.

If this seems to fall on deaf ears, then it will be apparent that he's not prepared to award her hard work and effort and would be time to enquire next door.

Try going over the Manager's head. If he can't/won't acknowledge the excellent job she is doing, someone higher up will. Just a thought.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links