Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator

nik

• 4 months later...

I am looking for an alternator for a 93 MR2. Does anyone have one or know a cheap place to get one?

I managed to find one on the web at http://www.247spares.co.uk/car_parts/. They can take upto a day to responsed to the request and I did have to call around three suppliers to get a cheap one, it came the next day, it's in and workin. Toyota wanted £370.00 just for the part, which is why I looked around.

Phone: 0121 459 0077 Ask for Tony in Parts

L J

got one thanks

I thought you would have one by now but this place sorted loads of parts cheap, so I thought it might be of use to someone. I know I will be using them again soon... :help: Is it Ok to add these details to the forum :!Removed!: said the new boy ? If not I'll take it off :thumbsup:

Cheers

L J

No problem provided you have nothing to do with the company and it is posted purely on the basis that it might be of interest to others :thumbsup:

No I'm just a customer. I have a history of helpin my mate with his VW projects and thought I would be able to carry out me own repairs, doin alright with it so far but found it differcult to get cheap parts.

Thanks for the info.

Make sure its the alternator first, I just put a replacement one in and thought it would fix the problem (already got a new Battery and its still running down and the Battery warning light is still on the dash) it didn't fix the problem I had already checked the fuse in the fuse box and cables. Now I have to try and find the "in-line fuse" or "Fusible Link?" to check that too. Wish I had know about it first... well lesson learned.

If anyone knows the location of the in-line fuse I would appreciate the knowledge?

If it really is the alternator you might find this page of use to... http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...topic=41703&hl=

Its definately the alternator... thought it might have been the cam belt on its way out as it was coming up on its 60k change... basically I have a squeaking noise coming from the engine bay when the car is cold.. as soon as she warms up a little.. it goes away..

So.. I took her to get her cam belt changed.. and the tensioners and pulleys etc.. (turns out the did need doing.. and well it was coming up to 60k change so best sorted ;) ).... the guy who did it was great, was really happy to leave her with him, and I shall definately be going back there... previous to this, I ahd two pieces of heat shield fall off the back of my car.. and I had kept them... so he put these back on... and when he opened her up.. he found a thin film of oil over everything (explains why I've been feeding her a little more than usual... not much.. but a bit)... So..

Cam belt... pulleys, tensioners etc..... new seals... and refix the heat shields back on... £250 and he has done a top job!

However... it didnt solve my squeaky problem.. which he told me was the alternator which he found out as he built it all back up... *sigh... (Les was right.. lol)

So... he can either recondition it for me... or I get a new one... he says there is no major problem with it right now.. and not to worry at all.. but keep an ear out.. if it starts making that noise all the time... deffo need to sort it then...

So I am thinking.. recon it?... or just get a new one?... the Battery charges fine... I have had no trouble really with electrics (*touches wood lol).... so perhaps it just needs an overhaul?

if it sounds anything like mine did... the its probably alternator...

you might wanna see if you can fire her up without the alternator belt on (so long as it doesnt drive anything else.. dunno about Mk1s...your alternator might drive your water pump too)

*checks 4AGE manual......

ok 20V 4AGE it does drive water pump (its the engine going in the kit car hence we have manual) so best not to take that off...

Best idea Teegs is mebbe to getit reconditioned? the dude at the garage said that it was by far the cheaper option so long as I could leave my car with him possibly overnight...to guarrantee he could do it all.. it might have only been a day.. but he gotta take alternator out and give it to a guy he knows that refurbs them.. then get it back and fit it again.. which might be a bit much for one day...

Other than that... make sure your alternator belt is correct and not worn (that also made a horrendous screech on Skye)...

And might as well check your Cam belt is ok lol...

Timing belt does need doing - thats on my list - dont think thats whats making the clunking noise though - shes going in for a good service when i have fiesta back- cant do without a car im afraid so she will have to suffer until then, topped all her fluids up on the weekend so hopefully she'll be well until i can do without her :(

No not really, at first i thought it was lack of oil- thought it might have had a leak - but no its got plenty in, it gets quieter as it gets going but doesnt stop - cant expect her to be trouble free though with the amount of miles on it

Thanks, im just gonna wait and see whats said - im expecting a big bill and i dont think its one of those things that can be diagnosed over the web - you have to hear it really, but ill wait and see, worst comes to worst ill just have to start the supercharger swop a bit earlier than expected lol (any excuse) :P