Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Problem

Mik_D

Something else is now worrying. I put £30 worth of fuel (31 litres or 7 gallons) in my supra the other day after I got it MOT'd and taxed. My speedo isn't working but I've done about 15 miles in it just tootling around the block and such. After putting the petrol in the gauge showed between half and 3/4 full now it is between 1/4 and a half. This means that I am getting about 5 miles to the gallon and I haven't even got into turbo land yet :eek: . My questions are thus:

1) Are mkIII fuel gauges pants?

2) Is my car knackered?

3) How much does the tank hold (i.e. its volume)?

4) Or the reply is "This is perfectly normal you moron"?

Regards Mik

ps There are no leaks and the plugs aren't black nor sooty.

The fuel guages are fine.. but I find due to the shape of the tank the first half lasts much longer then the bottom half!.

I beleive from very empty to brimming a Mkiii takes 70l.

That is abnormal fuel consumption, When I first got my turbo, after a rebuild, before the smoked caused by the crappy blueprint stem seals killed my lambda sensor I was gotting 400 miles to a tank, with fairly gentle mixed driving.

The fuel guages are fine.. but I find due to the shape of the tank the first half lasts much longer then the bottom half!.

I beleive from very empty to brimming a Mkiii takes 70l.

That is abnormal fuel consumption, When I first got my turbo, after a rebuild, before the smoked caused by the crappy blueprint stem seals killed my lambda sensor I was gotting 400 miles to a tank, with fairly gentle mixed driving.

That is pretty good at 26 mpg. There must be something wrong with my fuel sender unit possibly. If 70 litres is full then 31 litres should not be showing over half. I would have though that these things would be pretty accurate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links