Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Best Mr2 Performance Plugs And Leads?

westojh

Hi All!!

Just wondered of you could give me any pointer's, from your experience, for the best performance spark plugs and leads? I was thinking Splitfire Platinum or NGK Platinum and Splitfire leads, what do you think? Could I do better?

Also, which would be the best performance airfilter to get?

This all applies to a 3S-GE engine - 158bhp.

Cheers

James

Hi again. You bought the car then. Nice one. :D What colour? Any pics?

My Rev 3 is running quite happily on whatever Mr T puts in it. NGK I think; from a quick search I see that's what a lot of other people are using.

I see lots of threads discussing plug choice, though many concern the choice for Turbos running high boost. Do you think the plug choice makes a huge difference on an NA; I'd think that as long as you stick to a good brand like NGK they'll be fine.

Regarding leads I see discussions on the arguments for and against the expensive (like around a £100 a set) leads, but don't think I'll bother with that.

Filter's a different matter - do a search in the MR2 section and you'll find lots of posts on the relative merits of panel filters etc and the various makes. I think I shall have to invest in a better filter soon.

Cheers, Tony

Hi there!

No I didn't get the MR2 in question! Well remembered! It was the lower powered one as you suggested.

No I bought a G reg dark Met Blue. 74,000, uk car, FSH! Quite chuffed really, picking it up tomorrow, my first MR2! it only set me back £1700, no too bad hey?

I just needs a bit of TLC, and a bit of interior cleaner! There is some minor bumber damage and a bit of a rusty sill, but nothing serious!

I was only asking about the electrics as I have just been told its always worth investing in a decent set, but if you suggest NGK's, I'll just go for that!

With regards pick's....watch this space!!!!

Cheers Tony!

Hi again.  You bought the car then.  Nice one.  :D  What colour?  Any pics?

My Rev 3 is running quite happily on whatever Mr T puts in it.  NGK I think; from a quick search I see that's what a lot of other people are using.

I see lots of threads discussing plug choice, though many concern the choice for Turbos running high boost.  Do you think the plug choice makes a huge difference on an NA; I'd think that as long as you stick to a good brand like NGK they'll be fine.

Regarding leads I see discussions on the arguments for and against the expensive (like around a £100 a set) leads, but don't think I'll bother with that.

Filter's a different matter - do a search in the MR2 section and you'll find lots of posts on the relative merits of panel filters etc and the various makes.  I think I shall have to invest in a better filter soon.

Cheers, Tony

Well done - sounds like a good buy. We'll look forward to the pics.

Was surprised after that thread that you were back quoting 3S-GE engine code; I would have been surprised if the first car had that engine.

Anyway, that explains it. I bet you can't wait to pick it up. Enjoy.

If it's running fine then you're probably alright with plugs & leads you have. Unless you know they've not been changed in a while. I note from other threads that dizzy caps need changing regularly too.

But don't go on my word alone re this stuff; these days I just take my cars to Mr T for servicing, so check out what the others have to say.

If you click the search button at the top you can find out loads of stuff. For MR2 specific info you need to select the MR2 forum because for some reason search terms have to be at least 4 characters long. Shame, as it stops you using MR2, NA, Rev, 2 etc as terms. But apart from that it's very handy.

3S-GE Engine of course is also used in other cars - e.g. Celica so you'll also find useful stuff in those sections.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links