Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illegal

vmail

In france I noticed it was illegal not to have both parts of your driving licence in the car, and you will have to pay a fine. Is it the same in the UK or is it less strict here

They recommend you dont keep your licence or documentation in your car, just incase your car gets broken into and it gets nicked!

I carry my card licence in my purse, but my paper licence stays at home, safe! :thumbsup:

Dunno about the legalities of it all mind....!

As D.A said,

only if the police want to see your documents you have to produce them at the police station within 5-7 days.

Dont think they are that strict about it - ive never heard about it being illegal

i only carry the card part aswell , like Em -mine is safe at home :)

Yeah, in France you have to carry it or you're fined, I used to carry it over there for work.

Over here I think you're supposed to but they're a lot more relaxed about it.

Like its been said, if they think it's necessary they'll give you a producer :thumbsup:

In France you also have to have a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. I dont think anyone in the UK does that

exp3vh.gif

when I 1st saw this sign it scared me

In France you also have to have a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. I dont think anyone in the UK does that

exp3vh.gif

when I 1st saw this sign it scared me

It's a good idea to carry them in the UK....................and know how to use them :thumbsup:

Scarry sign :eek:

I've never heard of it being illegal to not carry both parts here..surely if it was then more people would know about it? :huh:

I've never heard of it being illegal to not carry both parts here..surely if it was then more people would know about it?  :huh:

You don't legally have to carry a first aid kit or a fire extinguisher in the UK ......................but it is a good idea to carry them :thumbsup:

EDIT: Oh silly me .....you mean both parts of the licence....I dont think you have to carry them both :ph34r:

You don't need to carry both parts of your license in your car. Usually producing your photocard license is enough to satisfy the officer who pulls you over for nothing in particular! :censor:

You don't have to carry either. You young 'uns may find this hard to believe but some of us only have the paper licence anyway and before you say it, unless they change the law, I won't need the card bit and a new licence for another twenty years! :lol:

You do have to produce your licence if requested within seven days as I had to in 2003. You just take it along to your local cop shop, they take the details of where it is to be sent to (the police officer who requested it), take a photocopy of your licence, give original back to you and you're on your way.

At the time I was worried as my rear offside light had been smashed in (reason why I was there) and I didn't want to be done in the police station car park. They were great and even suggested ways to make it legal until I took the car into the bodyshop! :thumbsup:

At the time I was worried as my rear offside light had been smashed in (reason why I was there) and I didn't want to be done in the police station car park. They were great and even suggested ways to make it legal until I took the car into the bodyshop! :thumbsup:

Aren't our policemen wonderfull?? :yes:

Thought a "producer" was 14 days for your license, the same as if you are required to produce MOT, Insurance or Tax documents?

Thought a "producer" was 14 days for your license, the same as if you are required to produce MOT, Insurance or Tax documents?

No its 7 days, I should know, had two! :unsure:

For both accidents I might add - nothing naughty! lol

You don't have to carry either. You young 'uns may find this hard to believe but some of us only have the paper licence anyway and before you say it, unless they change the law, I won't need the card bit and a new licence for another twenty years! :lol:

You do have to produce your licence if requested within seven days as I had to in 2003. You just take it along to your local cop shop, they take the details of where it is to be sent to (the police officer who requested it), take a photocopy of your licence, give original back to you and you're on your way.

Yes mate, unless you move house or change name!!! :P

mind you, on the continent its illegal not to have a spare bulb kit in the car also...

Yeah i suppose that makes sense but if thats the case you could argue that its necessary to carry other spares aswell - by the time youve finished - got a car full of spare parts and no room for luggage/passengers :wacko:

all ya need is a AA card :D

I've just remembered, I've lost the photocard bit to my full licence, where would I stand legally if I was asked for it?

You say you've lost it, and if asked, that you've applied for a new one - the same thing a new driver would do if they have passed their test and sent their prov. license to be changed for a full license. ;)

Oh, and cheers for that Dem - Just as a couple of mates have been pulled on bikes, but were told 14 days to get a small plate changed to a legal size one, and have it MOT'd. :S

You say you've lost it, and if asked, that you've applied for a new one - the same thing a new driver would do if they have passed their test and sent their prov. license to be changed for a full license. ;)

Oh, and cheers for that Dem - Just as a couple of mates have been pulled on bikes, but were told 14 days to get a small plate changed to a legal size one, and have it MOT'd. :S

yeah vehicle defects your given 14 days for, and producers its 7 days

mind you, on the continent its illegal not to have a spare bulb kit in the car also...

I'm covered there, got plenty of spare bulbs in the car. I just need to find them

Costs about 17 quid for a replacement license i think.

Still i was a bit lazy on forkin out for it, and the lost excuse worked a treat whenever i got stopped.

Imagine a suprise a few months down the line (7-8) when I found it. was buzzin cos i'd saved myself some money. yaaay me :D

-Z