Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aux Input On Sterio

jonbr

Hi All,

I have an XT4 with a CD changer fitted. I'm wondering if the head unit has an aux i/p that could be used to connect and iPod to as I can't use the CD changer connection for obvious reasons?

Alternatively, does any one know where to obtain pin out/in details for the head unit connectors?

Thanks.

Don't think you'll be lucky with that one.

Think you may end up going down the route of having an adaptor that goes between the stereo and disk changer to give you an Aux input from what i've already heard on the forums.

Hi All,

I have an XT4 with a CD changer fitted. I'm wondering if the head unit has an aux i/p that could be used to connect and iPod to as I can't use the CD changer connection for obvious reasons?

Alternatively, does any one know where to obtain pin out/in details for the head unit connectors?

Thanks.

Jon,

There certainly aren't any aux input phonos on the toyota headunits, like i've had on some sony headunits in previous cars. However........ I've just uploaded, over the weekend, to my website the pinouts of the connectors from my Rav's headunit / cd autochanger / tns200 sat nav.

If you download the diagram i've done http://www.spips.co.uk/rav4/radcon.gif (its only small at 35kb but prints out onto A4 landscape) it would appear that one of the connectors on the back of the headunit is identical pinouts to the cd autochanger, so I'm guessing that in this cable will be cables for:-

+12v

0v

+12v Ign

Spk Left

Spk Right

Spk Ground

Data +

Data -

I'm not 100% certain which is which without getting my meter out and a spare speaker to connect across some of the pins, but looking at the photo of the plug from the autochanger http://www.spips.co.uk/rav4/autoplug.jpg i would guess that the white & black are the 0v & +12v

If I get chance during the week, I will try and get a definate pinout for you.

Failing all that, I bought off eBay a small radio transmitter which plugs into the cig lighter and transmits on one of these freqs. 87.7 87.9 88.1 88.3 88.5 88.7 88.9

It has a USB port so you can plug your flashstick full of MP3's into it, or there is a socket on the side for a line input signal. I use mine with this lead to listen to my aircraft radio when I'm travelling to the airport before my lessons :) The guy that sells these is in California (despite the fact he says Salisbury on eBay!!) and usually take about 1 week to be delivered http://search.ebay.co.uk/5806894587

Hope this helps.

Phil

Thanks for that guys.

I have seen information, some where, about the adaptors that fit onto the CD changer connection but I got the feeling you either had the adaptor or the changer pugged in and couldn't have both connected at the same time. I wanted to avoid having to constantly unplug/pluging the connections for obvious reasons. I wonder if it could plug into that other connector on the head unit?

Stuart, do you know where the adaptors are available?

Phil I'd be very interested if you can work out the connection on that other connecter but please don't put you self out, it's not urgent.

Thanks again.

I'll have a look for you. Not sure where off the top of my head, but I know that the Toyota stereos are a little more difficult to get parts for in comparison to other standard fit audio.

A lot of manufacturers use Blaupunkt (or a similar type) for their standard kit, but I believe Toyota is Matsu****a/ Fujitsu normally.

I used an iTrip on my iPod for a while with quite success. It works ok if you find the right frequency. I've now got an Alpine head unit, which can directly control the iPod which is hidden away in my glove box.

Ooh yeah, forgot to mention. If you have a browse through the Avensis forums, I think there's been quite a bit of talk about this subject with a few options mentioned. :thumbsup:

That's aux out for an amp. We're talking aux in here.

It is doubtful that they will have aux out. But you can use high level to low level converters if you want to stay with the factory fit look.

Essentially they take your high level speaker outputs, and convert them to line level outputs suitable for connecting to an amp.

Better still, some amps have high level inputs built in, so you can connect your speaker outputs directly to the amp. This also saves on cables, cause you can hide the amp behind the dash then somewhere near the stereo. :thumbsup:

That's aux out for an amp.  We're talking aux in here.

It is doubtful that they will have aux out.  But you can use high level to low level converters if you want to stay with the factory fit look.

Essentially they take your high level speaker outputs, and convert them to line level outputs suitable for connecting to an amp.

Better still, some amps have high level inputs built in, so you can connect your speaker outputs directly to the amp.  This also saves on cables, cause you can hide the amp behind the dash then somewhere near the stereo.  :thumbsup:

Don't suppose you know where I could get one of these convertors or even a manufacturers name. The speaker upgrade is now getting closer. I've got some V2 Focals coming and I am looking around for an amp to power them from the existing headunit.

If you haven't yet bought the amp, just buy one with the high level inputs built into it. It makes connecting it up much easier. A lot of them have this facility.

Otherwise, a standard car hi-fi dealer will have them, or Halfords for instance.

All it will be then, is Power, remote switch from the stereo, left speaker input and right speaker input. Then the cables to whatever speaker/s you are connecting up.