Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Puncture Help Needed

omcglinchey

Hi, New to the forum and any help appreciated.

Got a second hand Yaris some months back (no owners manual).

Anyway, i got a puncture last Friday. After removing the wheel nuts the wheel refuses to budge. Seems like there's some kinda anti-theft device on the wheel.

Is this the case and should i have some type of tool for removing the device.

Thanks in advance

Ollie

I would help you but my 2nd hand yaris also came without a manual ;/, wouldn't have thought that the wheel has an antitheft device, has it got locking nuts?

If you have romoved the 4 nuts from the wheel it should come off. It might just be rusted to the hub.. or if it's alloys, oxidized to the hub (either way.. it will just be stuck on). Get a big heavy thing and give it a good smack from the inside of the tyre.. be carefull not to hit the wheel, especially if its an alloy. DON'T LIE WITH YOUR HEAD/BODY UNDER THE CAR.. IF IT FALLS OFF THE jack IT WILL HURT. .Sometimes when a car has been lacking a little TLC the wheels do this... a bit of gentle persuasion is all thats needed.

FOR ADDED SAFETY.. USE AXLE STANDS OR A TROLLEY jack TO SUPPORT THE CAR WHILE HITTING THE WHEEL.

Once you get the wheel off, give the hub a once over with a wire brush and apply a little copper slip.. this will help prevent it sticking on again.

:lol: at work we use a big scaffold tube.. or if that doesn't work.. a sledge hammer sits patiently waiting in the corner.

Normally they get used on Ford sierra's and Vauxhall Cavaliers.. not that the wheels are stuck,, we just like giving THEM a good smaking :lol:

Yves had that trouble with the T-Sport recently..the wheel had gotten attached to the hub, it wasnt helped by all the mileage that had been covered since the tyre change. Like CFC said I remember Yves having to use a lump of wood to hit it and get it to loosen.

Thanks everyone. Never seen that happen before with a wheel, seemed to be welded on. A large hammer was obtained and 15-20 good smacks later the wheel eventually came off.

Hope you cleaned up and greased up the hub before you put the wheel back on.. it will stop it happening again.

Could also be a good idea to check the other wheels when you get the time, the last thing you want is a puncture by the side of the road and the wheel stuck to the hub... and the hammer stuck in the garage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links