Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo Issues

Tabulous

Hi all,

Right this my problem, the speedo reads out by 10mph....... When i bought this car (1997 Rev4 Turbo) the importer said it had a delimiter/convertor fitted, which i believe it has, but not a good one. It has 180kph dials as standard with the (k)ph blacked out.

Checked the speed with a GPS road angel and the speedo always displays 8-10mph more than the road angel. When i fitted my AVC-R i had a look at what the speed reading said on this. Now even through the AVC-R readout is in kph the actual value seems correct.

I.e. At 30mph (Road angel reading), the speedo is saying ~40(x)ph and the AVC-R is saying 30kph.

That would suggest that the signal pulses are in mph ????

What i wanna do is remove the delimiter/convertor so it is back to standard, thus speedo and AVC-R should both read correct all be it in kph. And then fit the tworus chip behind the dash.

What are your throughts on this ?

Where abouts will the Delimter/convertor chip be ?

Regards

Lee :D

dont worry. the road angel uses GPS for speed reading (very accurate) whilst manufacturers always over read their speedo (too acount for differences in tyre radius as it wears, temp etc) the speedo in the rolla is 10% out Ie 30=33 on speedo 40=44 on speedo etc etc. the speed converter maybe throwing it out a bit further but hey at least if you keep to the limit you know you wont get nabbed

that's standard .. don't worry  :)

What 10 mph out, at 30mph is standard........ find that hard to believe...... My Old UK Mr2, the Speedo was spot on..........

See the problem is if the speedo is out that much it means the oddometer is too. :eek:

there for if i do 20 miles, 30 miles gets clocked up.........

There 200 = 300

2000 = 3000

20000 = 30000

You get where i'm coming from, it should be more accurate than this........

<_<

So a 0, the speedo reads 10mph?

No, not really just seems to read incorrect....... but too much for me to be happy with it.......

:eek:

Is it out by the same degree at different speeds?

i.e. reading 40@30, 50@40, 80@70 etc?

Does the reading become more accurate or less accurate with speed?

The cars are a bit out normally but 10mph is quite a bit...

-Z

So a 0, the speedo reads 10mph?

No, not really just seems to read incorrect....... but too much for me to be happy with it.......

:eek:

So when *IS* it 10mph out?

Because you said at 30, it's 10 out.

So at 90 it's reading 120? (keeping the ratio the same).

It seems to be out 10mph all the way up the scale.

If could find where the delimter chip is, then i could remove it just prove that everything is ok with regards to reading kph correct.

Right i've come to the conclusion that having 180kph clocks trying the read mph just will not work correctly. Will always be out, and the error increases wiv speed. so if you where doing 180mph on the dial you would infact be only doing 160mph.

Simply because the spacing is incorrect for when the speed sensor is changed to mph.

I.e. just printed out bmp's of 180kph dials and 160mph dials.......overlayed them on top of each other........marked hard with a biro the mph notches, and then looked where they are on the kph dial.

Presto this is what i'm seeing.........

30mph -> 35kph

40mph -> 46kph

50mph -> 57kph

60mph -> 68kph

70mph -> 77kph

80mph -> 88kph

etc

160mph -> 180kph

Therefore going to buy 160mph dial inserts, or even get a uk instrument set from scrappers.........

regards

I had a 160 speedo, and it was accurate .. looks like someone has swapped the dash on your car ..

I've now got a 180 UK speedo in ..

not really as the rolling radius stays roughly the same.

if you have 195/60/15 wheels and tyres and go for 205/40/17's the extra dia of the 17 inc wheel is taken out of the side wall so you get a lower profile.

as long as you dont go mad (ie from 13" to 18") should be ok

Right i've come to the conclusion that having 180kph clocks trying the read mph just will not work correctly. Will always be out, and the error increases wiv speed. so if you where doing 180mph on the dial you would infact be only doing 160mph. 

Simply because the spacing is incorrect for when the speed sensor is changed to mph.

I.e. just printed out bmp's of 180kph dials and 160mph dials.......overlayed them on top of each other........marked hard with a biro the mph notches, and then looked where they are on the kph dial.

Presto this is what i'm seeing.........

30mph -> 35kph

40mph -> 46kph

50mph -> 57kph

60mph -> 68kph

70mph -> 77kph

80mph -> 88kph

etc

160mph -> 180kph

Therefore going to buy 160mph dial inserts, or even get a uk instrument set from scrappers.........

regards

Excellent sleuthing my dear friend :thumbsup:

-Z