Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Estima Lucida Overheating

Wot4

Hi,

I have a 1995 Estima Lucida (Previa) Import. I have been driving it now for three years. The cylinder head was replaced just after I got the car. Recently when driving on the motorway or at speed the car has overheated. When the car was allowed to cool for a few minutes it works fine again! My mechanic overhauled the cooling system and replaced the thermostat but the overheating re-occurred.

The water pump seems to be working ok and his next effort will be to replace the radiator. At this stage it's getting expensive as the heating radiator was leaking and had to be replaced which required the dashboard to be removed (yuk).

If anybody out there has had similar problems and resolved them please let me know.

Thanks

Frank

:) The radiator was replaced yesterday and I have driven the car hard for 70kms without an incident. My mechanic sought a third opinion from a radiator guy who suggested that the flow was ok but not good enough for keeping the engine cool when driving at motorway speeds. This would seem to reflect the experience I had with driving, ie ok in town but overheating at 90-100 clicks on the motorway.

Fingers crossed for the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...

:D Hiya, my lucida does the same thing i have had mechanics tell me its a head gasket or a cylinder head or a air lock to all sorts of other things but no matter what they do to it the problem just wont go away!

Have u sorted yr problem out? if so please could u give me some tips

:P

I have had similar problems with over heating on motorway and have still not resolved the problem so please if you have found a way to fix problem please let me know :crybaby:

Ref over heating on lucida i have spoken to various people in the motor trade and all came to the same conclusion there is a fault with radiator. have replaced radiator and the car now runs ok and i dont have any problem with overheating on motorway. :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, first things first, I sell these myself, and the first thing to change is a radiator, normally they get clogged up due to lack of service, how can you tell is your radiator is clogged up...! good question. what you do is this run the engine till it gets hot enough. standard working or normally working temperature. when the temp control unit on the dash shows half way line in the middle.then switch of the engine...and put your hand on the raditor cores on the fan side. if you could feel hot and cold patches..i,e some places hot and some places cold..then bingo..ur raditors is blockked ..get it replaced..do not try and unclog it !

• 3 years later...
Yes, first things first, I sell these myself, and the first thing to change is a radiator, normally they get clogged up due to lack of service, how can you tell is your radiator is clogged up...! good question. what you do is this run the engine till it gets hot enough. standard working or normally working temperature. when the temp control unit on the dash shows half way line in the middle.then switch of the engine...and put your hand on the raditor cores on the fan side. if you could feel hot and cold patches..i,e some places hot and some places cold..then bingo..ur raditors is blockked ..get it replaced..do not try and unclog it !

Hello,

I am sure I have the same problem. Where is the best place to buy a replacement radiator ? Maybe jap parts in edgware or eBay ? Whom should fit it for a good price ? Also is there anything else worth changing at the same time ? (water pump maybe)

Any reply would be helpfull.

I live in Fulham sw6.

1996 estima.