Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Questions Regarding Engine Swaps (n/a To Sc)

ReD_MkI_NA

Well, I might as well intro myself + my problem!

I have an 86 MR2, my first car! Naturally aspirated but I'm faced with a rather interesting problem. Oil leaks. I'm not sure if this happens to alot of the MKI cars. I'm rather inexperienced in the automotive world apart from knowing the difference between a ford (*shudders*) and a really fun car (The mr2!). Supposedly, the problem is huge and this constitutes an engine rebuild. Instead of that though, we were thinking of swapping for a Supercharged engine for it. Now the problem is the compatibility and I have no idea what I am doing, is using just the manual enough? Or is there a comprehensive guide to use??

Thanx ALot

A new newbie

Derek

I think there is a BGB (Big Green Book) available for the Mk1 just like the Mk2, it's the MR2 Bible and hard to get hold of I think, I'll try find out...

Engine mounts between the 4a-ge (NA) and 4a-gze (supercharger) are the same although different looms etc, will you be doing the rebuild yourself or getting someone to do it for you ?

Thanx for replying :D

I Wont be doing the rebuild alone! I am probably 7000 km away from all you guys in England! So I'm not sure if this mr2 bible is here! Hopefully it is! My dad will be helping with the swap, I hope we're doin the swap at least! The bearings are what the problem is, forcing us to pretty much scrap the engine, (cept for spare parts!) Can you tell me where I can possibly get this book?? Thanx alot!

Derek

If tou are going for the 4agze supercharged engine the biggest problem will be the wiring. I've just had on of these engines (from a Japanese Levin) fitted into my Euro spec AE111 Corolla. The work was done by a very knowledgeable professional and he took three weeks to complete the job. It even gets down to haveing to swap fuse boxes and almost create a new engine loom. Not an easy job even when you know what you are doing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hmmm Sounds tough! Haha THanx guys tho!

I knew there would be some catch (the wiring) That little green book is supposedly very tough to get a hold on because they stopped making it a long while ago, sooo I'm gonna have to use the manual mostly. The wiring was even tough when I installed the new head unit for audio, because the wiring for the head unit and the wiring that I needed to install it to, didn't match up and I had to use a scope meter to get it right Lol. Well thanx alot, and if you find any info on the swap, drop a site on here!

Thanx sooo much

Derek