Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking Of Getting An Mr2 Help Plz

**toyota-mr2**

Hi all

I am new to the forums. :D

I am v keen on buying an mr2 soon and wanted to know a few things.

First off:

1st: Whats the main things to look out for when buying an mr2?

2nd: What bhp do they come in? (Non turbo btw as I cant afford the insurance on the turbo :angry: ) and how do you tell what bhp they are when looking?

3rd: Whats best in your opinion to go for t bar or not?

4th: How many miles on ave can these cars last without having bucket loads of probs? Being jap I take it not bucket loads anyway!

5th: Any other useful tips you can give?

Thanks

Hi there. Welcome to TOC. :thumbsup:

There are three major revisions of the MR2 - Mk1, Mk2, Mk3.

Wondering which one you're after. As you mention T-Bar then I assume either a Mk1 or Mk2 as the Mk3 is a convertible.

Tell us what age car you're interested in & what your budget is and we'll be better able to help you.

Also, you can look in for sale section. The ones in there belong to members of TOC so have probably been looked after properly; they usually are good value for money.

You can also do a search on this site using the search link at the top - I found that very useful to find out lots of info about MR2s when I was buying mine.

Regards,

Tony

I would like one between the age of 1993 - 1996.

Would want the higher bhp version if possible. What the diff between the 3 mr2's as there seems to be 3 diff bhp versions!? Dont want the 119 bhp version mind! which is why I want to know what to look out for to tell what bhp it has. I have heard the 119 bhp version does not have a spoiler? Also any other feats to look out for?

Prob going to go for one which is not t bar as I have heard they are quite noisy etc when driving? Correct me if I am wrong.

I plan to spend upto 3k but I need to sell my current clio 16v first! I am also asking people atm about part ex etc.

What are they like on petrol?

My car atm has an urban cycle of 27.4 miles and motorway of around 35 mpg. Will the mr2 be worse then my current car?

Thanks

The version with 120-ish bhp didnt come with a spoiler, and i dont think the t-bar makes any difference to the driving noise - but they all leak to some extent - people have found ways of dealing with this though and say its worth the hassle when its gets to summer time :)

Hi again. Yep, that narrows it down. So you want a Mk2 with either the 3S-GE engine (N/A) or the 3S-GTE (Turbo).

If you want a UK car then it'll be the former as the Turbos are all imports. Most people aren't bothered by that mind.

Turbos tend to be more expensive with good reason.

Within the Mk[EDIT]2[/EDIT] there are 5 revisions, and I believe the opinion is that each revision is an improvement on the one before it. Rev 1 & 2 look similar.

The date range you give spans Rev 2 & 3. Personally I wanted a Rev 3 though I would say that you will have difficulty finding a Rev 3 in good condition at £3000. For example there's a very nice one in for sale section at the moment but it's about 5K and I think that's not a bad price for it.

Re the t-bar. Personally that was my first decision - I wanted either a convertible or a t-bar, then decided that I'd get an MR2 not the other way round. Tend to be slightly more expensive than coupes and you have to watch out 'cos some leak. Yes, with the roof off it's a little noisy at speed but it's so much fun I don't care about that. I would say it's less noisy than a regular convertible - my previous car was a convertible and at 70mph on the motorway the noise was slightly louder I'd say.

If you want to know loads more there's a great book from Veloce on the subject of MR2s. I can get discount on these so PM me if you want one.

MR2 Book

Sorry can't answer the MPG question as I'm ashamed to say I've never checked. But I'd guess I'm getting about 30 maybe? Probably depends a lot on how you drive it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/J-reg-MR2-BLUE-metal...1QQcmdZViewItem

Rev 1 I'd say, wasn't the Rev2 introduced at the end of 1991 for 1992?

Also, not certain from the pics, but looks as if it hasn't got front fogs which makes me think it might be 3S-FE engine? Not sure about that, but you were specific about wanting the GE or GTE so I would check if I were you.

Hard for me to say what it will go for I'm afraid. Anyone else any ideas?

[EDIT]

Re power, If it's a 3S-GE then I believe Rev 1 cars were 158 bhp and Rev 2 cars were 154 bhp.

Tony

Please tell me what you think of this one as I am about to email him asking about a possible px with my car.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-G-Limited...bayphotohosting

Ta

Mm, also rev 1 (which isn't a bad thing). It's an import (again not a bad thing, but you will find service history might be sketchy).

I'd find out a lot more about MR2s before you bid for one mate. And find someone who can check the car out for you. It might be a minter or it might not. Pics are tiny too.

Personally I paid a highish price for a low mileage Standard Rev3 with FSH because it's what I wanted. As that's not what you're looking for you probably need more input from the other owners on here.

Regards, Tony

Pics are tiny, but I think you're right fogs seem to be built into the clusters.

However:-

This like i said is the import Mr2 which means higher spec and more power.

I'd question the power claim though 'cos I thought a JAP 3S-GE engine was pretty much same spec as the UK one.

Think I might just wait and get somthing newer thinking of it now!

PS to previous post - think Japan got the Rev 2 changes a few months before us, so that could be what he means?

The Mk2 MR2s spanned a 10 year period, each Rev lasting approx 2 years; so Rev 1 is early 90s and [EDIT]5[/EDIT] is late 90s. They're all potentially good reliable cars but, of course you have to really know what you are looking for or else you might be buying trouble. And after that some luck is involved too.

Good luck finding the one you want though. :thumbsup:

I have a REV 1 tubby, but with all the mods i have done to engine and suspension it would probably out handle a stock rev2 ?!?! :D

Looks like a REV 1to me, rear centre panel has one bar going through the middle ?!

Man I am really liking this but the age of these cars is whats holding me back.

What do you people think of this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-G-Limited...bayphotohosting

Also looks like a REV1 to me for the same reason (am i right in saying this)

REV 1 has one strip, and REV2 has two strips, REV3 changed the lights !

I thought that the imports had a rear fog light on at the bottom of the bumper?

Only required to pass a UK MOT, I have one on my rear grill. Just because JAP cars dont need a Fog light.

Think I might just wait and get somthing newer thinking of it now!

I have a REV 1? - Dont let the REV bother you too much if you are going to mod her !!

Looks like a nice REV 3 !

Yes, I think I agree with you on the revs of those cars boundssw but I was going by their ages, not any visible differences.

I didn't know of the difference in the number of strips on rear of R1 and R2. In fact I don't think I can recall seeing two strips on that panel, though my memory's not that good.

I believe front bumper is slightly different between 1 and 2 but in a photo it's hard to tell the difference. Wheels are different but that's not usually much of a guide as they tend to be updated on most cars anyway. So apart from that I don't know how to tell the difference visually. There were 'performance', 'handling' and 'safety' changes but from a photo you can't see any of these.

T

Hi

Just decided I am not really bothered about age (above 1991 tho)

That blue one above with 100,000 miles + full service history what bhp is it?

(insurance says its a "TOYOTA MR2 1998cc 2 Door Saloon 1990----- 1991") That help? Also whats the 0 - 60 like on the mr2 + top speed etc?

Thanks

P.s here is link again: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/J-reg-MR2-BLUE-metal...1QQcmdZViewItem

The version with 120-ish bhp didnt come with a spoiler, and i dont think the t-bar makes any difference to the driving noise - but they all leak to some extent - people have found ways of dealing with this though and say its worth the hassle when its gets to summer time :)

pfffffft!!! my Rev5 does not leak :D

Hi

Just decided I am not really bothered about age (above 1991 tho)

That blue one above with 100,000 miles + full service history what bhp is it?

(insurance says its a "TOYOTA MR2 1998cc 2 Door Saloon 1990----- 1991") That help? Also whats the 0 - 60 like on the mr2 + top speed etc?

Thanks

P.s here is link again: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/J-reg-MR2-BLUE-metal...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi again. Yes, age not as important as the condition IMHO. As long as the car's got the features you want.

I'm not certain, but from the engine pic I would say that that's the 3S-FE engine. Looks completely different from the 3S-GE engine in my Rev 3. If that's the case it's about 120bhp i.e. the one you said you didn't want. Check that with the owner though. If in doubt you can determine the engine from the model number.

The 0-60 of the 3S-GE cars is about 7.7 seconds. As the engines improved across the revisions, the cars did also get heavier so 0-60 stayed reasonably constant. If you research it you might find some variations e.g. Rev 1 and 2 was officially 7.8 I think.

I don't know the top speed - it's about 140 or thereabouts I think, so fast enough.

Razor_Rage - wow, you are observant. I hadn't noticed that, but yes the bottom of the spoiler does seem to be missing.