Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3s-ge Cambelt Change...

andrewl41

Hi guys,

I'm getting an unpleasent noise from under the cam cover of my GT, kinda a scraping/rattling noise. I've decided to therefore chage the cambelt and all the pulleys. I have a couple of questions I'd like some advice on before I start though:

Is the water pump driven off the cam belt? If so I'm going to change that as well.

Is there a kit that you can get that includes the belt and replacement pulleys? I know you can get these for a lot of cars but can I get one for the Celica?

Any advice about the actual job? Will I need timing pins? Where are the timing marks? I know there's now haynes manual for the 3s-ge in a celica but is there another car with this engine in that may have a manual availalbe?

Thanks in advance people

Andrew

It might be just the tensioner pulley, but if you have a high mileage engine then it would make sense to change the water pump too, while you have access to it. You may well also need a new hydraulic belt tensioner thingy-bob, it could be that causing the noise, if it's gone weak and allowing the idler pulley to move around.

I don't know if there's a kit with all the replacement pulleys and belt together, but you can get them all as separate items (£££! from Mr T).

It is a !Removed! of a job, unless you have very small hands! Some of the bolts that hold the cambelt cover do not even have space to be removed with the engine in situ. I think the proper way to do it is to undo the RH engine mount and jack the engine up to gain a bit more space. The belt tensioner is behind the engine mount.

Don't know what you mean by 'timing pins'. There are keys in the cam pulleys, so make sure you don't loose them. Make a note of which hole on the cam pulleys that the pins came from, there may be more than one.

It's fairly easy to get the timing correct, just make sure all three pulleys have the timing mark pointing vertical (lined up with tht notches). Make sure to have the untensioned run of the belt tight while you line the pulleys up, otherwise when you release the tensioner it could move them out of line.

I have just had the cambelt and water pump done on my G5, and yes it is a !Removed! of a job, not a lot of room, I bought the pump and cambelt from unipart for a total of 85 ish quid inc VAT, and a mate of mine fitted them both.

Mr T wanted over 90 quid for the pump alone, so I didnt go there for it!!!!

Some of the bolts that hold the cambelt cover do not even have space to be removed with the engine in situ. I think the proper way to do it is to undo the RH engine mount and jack the engine up to gain a bit more space

Yes, he did say he had to take the engine mount off too!!! :angry:

I just took my gen 6 to my local garage, and they told me although they could do the service, they couldn't do the cambelt change as it required some kind of special puller. I'm not mechanically minded, so I don't know exactly what they mean, but I've been told I'm gonna have to go to Mr.T. So might have to delay till after this months pay cheque.

I just took my gen 6 to my local garage, and they told me although they could do the service, they couldn't do the cambelt change as it required some kind of special puller. I'm not mechanically minded, so I don't know exactly what they mean, but I've been told I'm gonna have to go to Mr.T. So might have to delay till after this months pay cheque.

I don't know what they need a 'special puller' for, unless the gen6 has something different to the gen5. The bottom pulley bolt can be a bit of a nightmare to undo, either crack it off with the car still on the ground (brakes on, wheels chocked, and in gear), or use an impact gun.