Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems With Starting

deltralski

I have a 1998 Avensis 1.8. I love the car and haven’t had a spot of bother with it (aged 32 well under national average lol )

The problem is as follows when I turn the key I get no response from the engine not even an attempt, The engine will star as normal after repeating this for about 6 times and will fire normal. You’re thinking what I was thinking 'Starter Motor' However I have changed this and I still have the same problem. I renewed the electrical connection on the engine side with no success and have checked all the negs are to earth. The only other thing I was thinking was the starter relay, I haven’t a clue whether this could cause this problem.

Any ideas?

:help:

Cheers.

I'm not sure so don't quote me on this, but does your Avensis have a factory immobiliser (i.e. a transponder chip in the key). If this is the case, maybe it's failing.

If you have another full key for the car, then maybe try that ?

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe the other members have more ideas ?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi

Its a common fault and to do with the actual ignition barrel. Theres a plastic piece in the barrel with a raised section. After time the raised section chips away, its fine until it gets to the starter motor key position where the barrel is spring loaded and the plastic piece just slips and therefore cant engage the circuit for the starter.

I can get the part number for you if you want, costs around £50 with the VAT fro Toyota.

Nad

Hi

Its a common fault and to do with the actual ignition barrel.  Theres a plastic piece in the barrel with a raised section.  After time the raised section chips away, its fine until it gets to the starter motor key position where the barrel is spring loaded and the plastic piece just slips and therefore cant engage the circuit for the starter.

I can get the part number for you if you want, costs around £50 with the VAT fro Toyota.

Nad

We had a hiace van where i used to work, that to had the same fault it started at around 190k intermitanly but by 193k it would not fire at all. The price from the dealer was 95 quid fitted.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, please.

I have an Avensis 2.0 -99, with exactly the same problem. You turn the key and everything works fine until the last 'start'-position, then it's dead.

You can turn the key a few times then it starts up normally or you can hold it in position and try to wiggle it in the lock.

It started 2 months ago and now it's worse than ever.

It's been at the garage last week for normal service and they looked into this and gave me a price of 4500 SEK (thats about 310 GBP) for replacing this part.

I'm thinking about adding a separate button to press instead, as it is on some of the newer models, but would nead a schematic for that, which I don't have...

If I get hold of this barrel, is it easy to chage it or do I have to disassemble half the car?

Could you please supply me with the partnumber and everything else you know about this.

Please. :(

Regards Roger

Yes, please.

I have an Avensis 2.0 -99, with exactly the same problem. You turn the key and everything works fine until the last 'start'-position, then it's dead.

You can turn the key a few times then it starts up normally or you can hold it in position and try to wiggle it in the lock.

It started 2 months ago and now it's worse than ever.

It's been at the garage last week for normal service and they looked into this and gave me a price of 4500 SEK (thats about 310 GBP) for replacing this part.

I'm thinking about adding a separate button to press instead, as it is on some of the newer models, but would nead a schematic for that, which I don't have...

If I get hold of this barrel, is it easy to chage it or do I have to disassemble half the car?

Could you please supply me with the partnumber and everything else you know about this.

Please. :(

Regards Roger

Hi,

i had this problem wiv mine and replaced it, it cost me about £50 , its the ignition switch you need, not the ignition barrel as thats fine. you can replace it by removing one screw under the cowling, and then a further 2 screws behind the steering wheel if you turn the wheel you'll see it. you may need to remove the dash casing below the steering aswell. once the bottom cowling is removed the top part will come off after you remove one more screw which is under the ignition barrel. then remove the connecter to the switch at the end of the barrel so to give you room. its two screws holding the switch to the barrel remove them a smaller srewdriver may be needed to remove the second- a little awkward but its all easy just tinckering around with it. then simply remove the old switch and replace with new one. any more probs feel free to gimme a shout. :thumbsup:

Thanks GnzYza.

That doesn't sound too difficult.

I haven't had time to check with a Toyota supplier yet, but could you please tell me what part I need.

Is it the ignition swith and not the barrel I need, or is it in the same kit?

I more or less know how the complete kit looks like when fitted, but I don't know how many different partnumbers it's broken down into.

Doesn't changing the switch also mean changing the keys, and what about the immobilizer?

Or do you just change the actual switching system behing the keypart?

At the garage, when I asked, they thought a new ignitionswitch (don't know how large part of it they were talking about) should be around £50 so I guess you are talking about the same thing here...

Anyone with a possible P/N to ask for at Toyota?

Thanks for all your help so far :thumbsup:

Best regards

Roger

Thanks GnzYza.

That doesn't sound too difficult.

I haven't had time to check with a Toyota supplier yet, but could you please tell me what part I need.

Is it the ignition swith and not the barrel I need, or is it in the same kit?

I more or less know how the complete kit looks like when fitted, but I don't know how many different partnumbers it's broken down into.

Doesn't changing the switch also mean changing the keys, and what about the immobilizer?

Or do you just change the actual switching system behing the keypart?

At the garage, when I asked, they thought a new ignitionswitch (don't know how large part of it they were talking about) should be around £50 so I guess you are talking about the same thing here...

Anyone with a possible P/N to ask for at Toyota?

Thanks for all your help so far   :thumbsup:

Best regards

Roger

Hi, You will only need the ignition switch normally white in colour its small and fits at the end of barrel so you keep your same keys, immobilizer no problems!!

Dont have part number but just ask for IGNITION SWITCH it is only one thing.

Let me know how you get on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Thanks for all your help here!

I am about to undertake this repair and have the part on order (£37.50 on Ebay).

One small question before going at it:

When the detailed instructions say's: A and B are just connectors placed on the Switch Assy, remove them, but don't disconnect them"

Does this mean that the connectors are easily removed from the assembly by unclipping them or sliding them off without disconnecting the wires that connected to each?

Sorry for the dim here but I have yet to get under the wheel and want to be sure of anything I might encounter.

This support is wonderful and I am very grateful for this last (possibly silly) detail.

cheers

sudi